Ian Anderson 6 p.m., July 29
- Community Blog
- Abnormal Heights
Goth Marriage and Gloria
...in a sinister background, a reddish hand with "Lee Nails Black Extreme" novelty nails grips the limp, pasty Goth-Girl's hand...
"Yes on 13! Stop teaching Zombie Marriage to our Children!"
Huh? What is this thing in my mailbox?
Wait, there's more:
(Ooooo. I'm getting all trembly...hold my hand mummy!)
-- "City council candidate Stephen Whitburn says "people have lost faith in government because of backroom deals for special interests at City Hall."
Hey! That's not scary.
Where's the shock?
Where's the horror?
Where's the freakin' goosebumps already? Huh?
Now totally confused, I open up the flimsy flyer, and find a bewildering list of blacked out names and occupations.
Well, who was kind enough to send this to me?
"San Diego Voter Education Project"
Naturally, I got copies of the 400, 401, and 498 disclosure forms for these new friends sending me creepy mail. Two guys paid most of it, with another dude named Sudberry picking up the balance.
- Eugene P. Heytow of Rancho Santa Fe: $5,000
- Robert Lehman of San Diego: $5,000
Who are they?
Well, according to this link titled "Insider Trading", Mr. Heytow is a very wealthy banker.
The second guy, Robert Lehman of San Diego, is a very wealthy man who just gave $5,000 to the San Diego Republican Party.
Paola Avila, who is listed as the individual with sole authority over the contents of this scare-piece, used to be disgraced former mayor Murphey's deputy chief of staff. According to LinkedIn, she's the president of AB Consulting and Development.
Thomas "Junior" Sudberry's not only on the board of Santa Fe Christian Schools, he generously finds time to be "very active" with the International Council of Shopping Centers. Oh yeah, as the founder of Sudberry Properties, he "has a vision for the ever-changing and developing San Diego area and beyond."
Junior Sudberry was kind enough to kick-in a thousand bucks.
So, I guess if I understand this mailer correctly, I've got some new friends:
- a fly-guy who devotes his ever-developing life to internationalizing San Diego shopping centers,
- a shady-lady who calendar-clerked for one of the worst mayors in our city's history,
- a fat-cat banker who's probably pudgy from plumpy derivatives,
- a wheeler-dealer Republican frat-boy who has a vision for Enron by the Sea...
What a weird treat it is to get such exotic mail from such interesting people. I guess Todd Gloria is chasing after the Republican Vampire Banker Marrying Goth Chicks vote this election.
...but I think everyone else in Normal Heights will be voting for Stephen Whitburn.
More like this:
- Overheard at City Hall — Nov. 2, 2008
- Gloria's Hit Piece: "No Backroom Deals", Backfires — Oct. 30, 2008
- Gloria Camp: Anything To Win — Oct. 29, 2008
- Gloria's Inglorious Garbage — Oct. 28, 2008
- Why Independents Support Whitburn — Sept. 17, 2008