Louis Joseph Vadino of Ramona was sentenced today (April 19) to 102 months in federal prison for evading federal taxes, then vamoosing right before his trial, stashing money in an offshore bank (in Greece), and lying to federal officials. He was sentenced in Orange County, where the crimes were committed before he fled to Ramona.

The charges arose from $1.2 million in taxes that he should have paid on his 1999 tax return (which wasn't filed until 2006). He had made a bundle selling Orange County property. He stashed the proceeds in a Greek bank, and from 2006 to 2011 evaded paying what he owed on taxes.

He was indicted on tax evasion charges in 2012. On the eve of a trial the following year, he cut off his ankle braces and absconded. He applied for a passport in 2014, and had fake IDs, fake birth certificates, fraudulent passport applications and other documents that made clear he was planning to be a fugitive, said federal prosecutors. He has been in custody since 2014.

Comments

Visduh April 20, 2017 @ 2:27 p.m.

May we assume that those three-or-so years of custody will count toward the 102-month sentence? That's the usual way of doing things.

Don Bauder April 20, 2017 @ 4:15 p.m.

Mike Murphy: Well, he owes the IRS $4.7 million, but it's not clear if the IRS will try to get some of it out of that Greek bank. That an be very difficult. I don't know how cooperative Greece is on such matters. All along, he told the IRS that he had no money to pay his back taxes. The government showed that he was lying. All will depend on whether the government wants to spend the money to go after that Greek bank. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 20, 2017 @ 4:19 p.m.

Visduh: Good question, and I don't know the answer to that. I do know that after he was captured in 2014, a grand jury added on charges for his flight from prosecution and efforts to assume a false identity. You are correct that the usual procedure is counting his previous time in prison. If the government does that, he only has roughly five years left. Best, Don Bauder

swell April 20, 2017 @ 7:06 p.m.

For my part, I would love to be in a position where my taxes exceed one million a year. Presumably that would be because I earned far more than that.

omphaloskepsis often

Ponzi April 21, 2017 @ 1:35 p.m.

omphaloskepsis. Sounds Greek to me.

Don Bauder April 21, 2017 @ 2:36 p.m.

Ponzi: I have noticed that "swell" has used that word twice. So I looked it up. It means contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation. To the best of my memory, I have never contemplated my navel, although I have dug tiny pieces of cotton out of it. And you? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 20, 2017 @ 9:10 p.m.

swell: I am not even going to look up omphaloskepsis. I simply refuse. He sent $2.1 million to the Greek bank after selling property in Orange County. I am not sure how much he made to bring his tax to $1.2 million.

Think of it this way: wouldn't you rather make enough to owe one BILLION in taxes? Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK April 21, 2017 @ 12:43 p.m.

interesting these reports always surface at tax time

Don Bauder April 21, 2017 @ 2:38 p.m.

Murphyjunk. You are right. These tax dodging conviction stories do, indeed, surface at tax time. Best, Don Bauder

swell April 21, 2017 @ 5:41 p.m.

Now let's see Mr. Trump's tax return. It would be especially interesting to see how they compare before presidency and after presidency. His family seems to be doing well financially with their connection to the White House. As for him, it seems that his properties, even in the middle east, seem to benefit from his position.

omphaloskepsis often (isn't that an irritating word to meditate by?)

None

Don Bauder April 21, 2017 @ 8:55 p.m.

swell: Oh yes. President Trump and his family are raking in the dough as a result of his presidency. It is illegal, but is Sessions' DOJ going to go after him and his family? Best, Don Bauder

swell April 22, 2017 @ 4:47 p.m.

Trump told us that he is immune to prosecution while president. He wouldn't lie, would he?

Don Bauder April 22, 2017 @ 6:22 p.m.

swell: Would Trump ever lie? Every afternoon, he lies on couch for a snooze. Best, Don Bauder

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!