Troll doll earring from Glitter Death Boutique
  • Troll doll earring from Glitter Death Boutique

There are a couple of different San Diego spots I head to anytime I am suffering from a particularly awful day — the La Mesa Library, Mission Trails, Bird Rock Coffee Roasters, the AmVets off of Jamacha Drive (thrift shopping is a great pick-me-up), or Balboa Park.

Hannah Cat Jones

After a series of unfortunate events, I decided to spend a Zen-like Wednesday afternoon strolling through Balboa Park to put things into perspective. The people-watching coupled with the park's beautiful landscaping and museums makes me realize that life’s little obstacles don’t seem so terrible when surrounded by so much beauty.

Hannah Kat Jones was in Balboa Park for an all-together different reason than I was. She was shooting a video for the Vietnamese alternative band Mayonnaise. Never heard of them? Neither had I. Jones, a model and actress based out of L.A, wore a black zip-up sweatshirt with a faux leather patch and a top, both by Project Runway designer, Mila Hermonavski.

“I model for her,” said 23-year-old Jones.

Jones wore a pair of intergalactic, trippy leggings from onlyleggings.com. The existence of a website called onlyleggings.com amused me. They have hundreds of leggings, everything from Christmas- to cat-themed leggings. You can purchase the same pair Jones wore for $35.

Chalk message

On her feet, Jones wore the Smiley eight-eye Doc Marten Hincky boot in acid pink. The shoes retail for $130.

“These boots are my favorite wardrobe item,” Jones said of her whimsical Docs, “I wear them with everything.”

In her ears, Jones wore a playful pair of troll doll earrings from Glitter Death Boutique. She looked every bit the '90s grunge-band fan. Stay-tuned to Mayonnaise’s Facebook page for their upcoming video featuring Hannah Kat Jones' adventures in Balboa Park.

When I got back to my car after my peaceful Balboa Park day, I was greeted with this lovely message.

I appreciate the spelling of "asshole." On a side note, I think it is a genius idea to carry chalk around for such occasions, although I don't see anything particularly wrong with my parking job.

Comments

Javajoe25 May 23, 2014 @ 8:46 p.m.

Siobhan,

I think Ms. Jones may have wrote that nasty message in the parking lot. It is possible she was upset over the fact that you did not know if her name was spelled Kat or Cat.

Although, that would have been very prescient of her, considering the article had not yet gone to print. Hmmmm.

Burwell May 24, 2014 @ 10:30 a.m.

I would have to agree you're an a-hole for back in parking your car. You no doubt caused others to wait while you spent 10 minutes backing the car in and out until you correctly positioned the car in the space. Then, when you left, you no doubt punched the accelerator, placing everyone who parked their cars correctly at risk. None of the other drivers would have any indication you're pulling out. When pulling out of a space I am constantly forced to jam on the brake to accommodate a back in parker who punches the accelerator with no warning. That's why there are back up lights on the rear of your car. So other drivers can tell when you are pulling out. It's a safety issue. Yes, you are an a-hole for parking your car that way. You should go back to Hillbillyville where you came from.

petezanko May 25, 2014 @ 9:48 a.m.

Also, what a lame vehicle...

Agreed. Back-in parkers are selfish neurotic a**holes. Sorry, Ms. Braun.

dwbat May 25, 2014 @ 10:30 a.m.

I don't get it. The Land Rover and the black car on the other side are facing forward. So they must have backed in also. So why the nasty note left for the Toyota owner, and the hostility here online? Also, good drivers are able to back into a space with one attempt; they don't have to spend "10 minutes" going back and forth.

Javajoe25 May 25, 2014 @ 11:47 a.m.

Whoa, people! What is happening here? I commented on the lady's name because it is spelled one way with the photo and another in the article; what is this issue with parking?

I don't even think that chalk note was meant for Siobhan. Not unless there was something else that occurred that we are not aware of. Siobhan? Did you cut someone off on your way into the park or some such action that people with chalk would not appreciate?

Personally, I don't have an issue with people who back into a space. In fact, I've read, due to the way cars steer with their front wheels, you can actually back into a space more easily than you can if you were to turn forward into a space. Based on my experience, I believe that's true. But I still don't understand why someone called S. an a-hole.

dwbat May 25, 2014 @ 1:31 p.m.

It's the uncivil world we now live in. Anonymous written attacks on people happen every minute.

Dave Rice May 26, 2014 @ 12:10 a.m.

Double yikes on the random hostility. What if there were two empty spaces and our author happened to pull forward?

Also, Javajoe is right - it's actually much easier to properly back into a spot than to pull in forward. I learned this is especially true in larger vehicles, there were spots I'd need 3-4 corrections to get into when I had my 3/4 ton truck and Excursion, backing in was actually much faster (and safer) for all involved parties, since I could see much better exiting the space as well as get in with a single attempt every time.

Burwell May 26, 2014 @ 10:10 a.m.

If you drive an Excursion, then you should park at the back of the parking lot where its empty instead of trying to park close to the store where it's jammed, especially with those oversized mirrors waiting to clothes hang unsuspecting pedestrians. When the driver of an oversized gas guzzler pulls out after back in parking, the driver just punches the accelerator forcing everyone to stay out of the way. That is the purpose of driving an oversize vehicle and back in parking, to threaten and harass other motorists. It should be illegal in California to back in park, just as it is in many other states. Rice also likely keeps the trailer hitch in the receiver of his oversized gas glutton vehicle sticking out a foot or more to kneecap unsuspecting pedestrians. Leaving a trailer hitch in a receiver should also be illegal like it is just about everywhere else.

Dave Rice May 26, 2014 @ 9:54 p.m.

Who's to say I didn't park it at the back of the lot just because I like to walk a few extra steps, or that every parking lot has a big open empty section?

The trailer hitch, however, is my backup indicator - when I hear it crunch into your grill, I pull forward two inches and I'm parked.

I should probably clarify that this is all in jest, and I actually drive an '87 Mazda...

dwbat May 28, 2014 @ 9:55 a.m.

But, Dave, isn't it illegal in San Diego, "American's Finest City," to drive an '87 Mazda? I mean, it's OK in Bakersfield, Yreka or El Centro. But here?

Siobhan Braun May 26, 2014 @ 10:34 a.m.

I didn't back my car in, I pulled forward into the space because the lot was empty but I have been known to park like an a-hole.