Four baggage handlers at San Diego International Airport (aka Lindbergh Field) were indicted Friday (March 14) on charges of conspiring to smuggle cocaine and methamphetamine onto aircraft by exploiting their ability to pass unchecked through security screening areas. They had the drugs in their backpacks.

According to the indictment, the baggage handlers would meet drug couriers in adjoining stalls in public restrooms. The drugs would be handed off under the stalls' dividers.

Felix Samuel Garcia, Paulo Mendez Perez, and Saul Bojorquez, current or former employees of Delta Global Services, a ground-service provider, were indicted, along with Brian Alberto Gonzalez, a Delta employee who also worked as a drug courier.

The drug couriers charged were Sergio Mejia-Gamboa, Angel Ortega, David Camacho, Jesus Morales, Candelario Perez, Israel Acosta, and Henry Garcia-Arambula.

Comments

CaptainObvious March 18, 2014 @ 8:21 a.m.

So they are a Latrine-o gang? lol. Put them in prison for a long time.This is one example of why drugs should be legalised, it will put people like this out of business.

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 8:22 a.m.

Captain Obvious: Also, the airport baggage handling system has to be changed. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya March 18, 2014 @ 9:03 a.m.

Truer words, etc. This behavior has been allowed to fester, indeed, has been sanctioned, by the airlines for at least three decades. I have first-hand knowledge of this, having had many valuable items pilfered from my checked baggage, with no recompense from the airline. This was in the days before the ubiquitous warnings about checking luggage vs carrying valuables onboard. I'm aghast, although I shouldn't be, by the proliferation of this blatant thievery.

Duhbya March 18, 2014 @ 12:41 p.m.

My post above was admittedly off-topic. I meant to convey that "this behavior", i.e. the sticky fingers and illicit activity that many unscrupulous airline employees are allowed to get away with, speaks volumes as to the airlines disdain for their clients.

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 1:38 p.m.

Duhbya: Not really off-topic. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 1:37 p.m.

Duhbya: Again -- the baggage-handling system must be changed, and soon. Best, Don Bauder

FatCatSegat March 18, 2014 @ 11:52 a.m.

Wow, "Latrine-o gang?" now thats a mighty fine picture of an ignorant racist bigot. Good job Captain. And by all means, lets legalize cocaine too, yeah; thats a good one. Moron.

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 1:39 p.m.

FatCatSegat: Who do you think you are, calling someone a moron? Ted Leitner? Best, Don Bauder

monaghan March 18, 2014 @ 12:09 p.m.

I'm sorry, FatCat, but Captain's calling these guys a "Latrine-o gang" is funny. If the shoe fits.... Also, let's avoid Delta Airlines.

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 1:40 p.m.

monaghan: I can see both sides of this discussion. Best, Don Bauder

FatCatSegat March 18, 2014 @ 3:19 p.m.

You know, I could go on and perpetuate the hate with some potato eating whiskey swilling humor, or I could just step in line and Latrine-o hate. Whaddya think Bauder? Monoghan? Obvious?

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 6:09 p.m.

FatCatSegat: I told you I am sitting on the sidelines on this one. I deplore racist jokes but I do like clever word play. Wanna know the truth? When Latrine-o was first used, I didn't notice it. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell March 18, 2014 @ 8:20 p.m.

It's unfortunate the authorities could not find an Anglo to charge in this crime. I am sure they tried. Hopefully Carl DeMaio didn't use the restroom while it was under surveillance. If Carl was caught on video flagrante delicto erecto his career would be finito.

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 8:44 p.m.

Burwell: The revelation of his alleged unconventional use of a washroom was a reason he was not chosen by the fat cats to run for mayor a second time. (Excellent sources tell me the hangup was the result of his lie detector test.) But it didn't deter him from being crowned to be the establishment candidate for Congress. Best, Don Bauder

monaghan March 18, 2014 @ 8:32 p.m.

FatCat, nobody's hating anybody, honest. Now Burwell is riffing on the original and it is even funnier. Maybe you can call Donna Frye and have her get everybody to resign -- or at least cease and desist.

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 8:45 p.m.

monaghan: Burwell deserves the prize on this blog. Best, Don Bauder

FatCatSegat March 18, 2014 @ 9:09 p.m.

Good one Monaghan, but please don't get me started on Donna Frye. Master Burwell,...I hang my head, (but not in the head) in shame. Bravo

Don Bauder March 19, 2014 @ 5:57 a.m.

FatCatSegat: Hanging one's head can be taken two ways. I hope you mean the conventional way. Best, Don Bauder