• Burt Grossman made the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1990. The story's title was “Big Mouth: The Rantings and Ravings of San Diego’s Burt Grossman”

Though many people want to see corruption and mismanagement cleaned up in the Sweetwater Union High School District, few people stepped into the November 6 election. One interesting candidate who wants to try his hand at the task is a former Chargers player Burt Grossman.

In July, Grossman filed to run against incumbent Pearl Quiñones; by August, he was running against incumbent Bertha Lopez.

In Grossman’s October 21 campaign disclosure filing, the last filing before the election, only two people had contributed to his campaign.

A half-page ad in the October 26 Star News featured pictures of Grossman in his Chargers uniform, of him sitting beside Arne Duncan (secretary of education), and of Grossman beside his wife, two children, and three dogs.

Grossman’s ballot statement says he is currently an assistant program director for Able-Disabled Advocacy.

Another side of Grossman can be found in a book he wrote (“with Bill Kushner”) in 1996, titled, The Way Things Ought to Be.

On education: “I got good grades because if I didn’t, I’d get my knuckles cracked…. I know that the liberal way of educating the young people today differs from the good old-fashioned education I received. Today we can’t discipline the kids and we have got to make everything fair and even. In other words, we can’t hurt anyone’s feelings with a system that rewards the winners and fails the losers… But I understand. Liberal politicians are dependent on the dope vote to keep them in office.”

On high school sports: “And because some gal only weighed 100 pounds doesn’t mean that she should be denied the right to become a part of the NFL. I mean, wacko parents are suing high schools in order for their daughters to be permitted to play football. So let’s be fair about this. Women have rights, too. If a woman can vote, go off and fight in combat zones, why not football. Huh?”

On being gay and playing football: “An open gay policy for the NFL? Of course. Then we could have open gay receivers prancing over the middle instead of running manly patterns. Then we could have openly gay quarterbacks getting behind the center and going on a long, long count.”

On the Chargers: “During my rookie year, I played on one of those really, really, REALLY, sucky teams, the San Diego Chargers.”

On himself: “Sure, I was Catholic, part Jewish, white and handsome, rich and famous, conservative, anti-abortion, straight, and a Rush Limbaugh fan, but even us minorities have the right to a job…. In the end I passed on the lawsuit idea [Grossman had been let go by the 49ers] because sooner or later Jesse Jackson and all the Affirmative Action wackos would get around to straightening out the National Football League.”

Comments

Jmbrickley Nov. 3, 2012 @ 8:38 a.m.

Burt Who?

The only comment I have read so far on why this guy is running for a seat on the SUHSD board had something to do with Pearl's hair.

I've been attending the board meetings and have never seen the guy at one. I have also attended candidate forums, but Burt was never present.

I do know that Dr. Brand was meeting with Burt a lot before and after Burt announced his candidatancy. As to what this ex-NFL player brings to the discussion beyond his oversized bag of biases, predjudices, and misogynistic attitudes is beyond my realm of understanding. He is everything NOT to have in a school board trustee.

tomjohnston Nov. 3, 2012 @ 9:03 a.m.

Well, he is a teacher in San Diego. According to Hoover High School Vice President and Director of Student and Community Affairs Andreas Trakas: “Mr. Grossman has helped change the culture of our high school. Students who have issues both at home and school know that they have a connection with someone who cares and who can make a difference for them… I have seen Mr. Grossman use his unique and effective skills of communicating to students about ‘raising their collective bar’ personally, socially, as well as academically. His ability to share his own personal experience in order to develop a connection with some of our most challenging students and building trust and support has been a benefit to our school and community. He has gone as far as taking one of our homeless football players into his home to live, and has helped him do a complete 180 degree turn; he has now accepted a full athletic scholarship to the University of Arizona.” I guess that's a decent start. Oh and BTW, I don't even live in SD and I still know who he is. Maybe you shouldn't criticize what you don't understand.

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 2:58 p.m.

Tomjohnston: he lists his primary occupation as teacher, but it seems his only teaching experience was an assignment as an 'advisory teacher' and assistant football coaching assignments at St. Augustine High, Castle Park, and Hoover High. His bio for "NFL teacher of the Year" seemed to indicate the ahe worked for the "Cardinal Connect Academy: at Hoover, but that he was more of a mentor and confidant. He taught two periods of an advisory class and was paid by grant money from a non profit organization outside of the school budget. the hoover website does not list a program called "cardinal connect" and a google search on 'cardinal connect' returns 6 results, all of which are about grossman's nfl award. the program apparently has never been mentioned in a website before or since. The NFL award announcement lists a master's degree, but his ballot arguments says he is 'working on his masters'. grossman describes his present job as an assistant program director and mentoring coordinator for ada. that group is also listed as a partner with s.d.cit schools sponsoring cardinal connect. mr grossman's name appears nowhere on the ada website, which lists another individual as the director in charge of the mentors program. the mentors themselves are volunteers who only have to work 6 hours per month for a year.

again, anything that mr grossman is doing to help the youth is appreciated. but explain to me how do they go about evaluating the students to be sure that none of them are in the demographics that mr. grossman appears to have issues with i.e. females, gays, or lesbians?

Jmbrickley Nov. 3, 2012 @ 9:36 p.m.

Oh tomjohnson... I know exactly what Burt Grossman is, and I'll stand by my remarks.

Wabbit Nov. 6, 2012 @ 3:48 p.m.

mr johnson, is he a teacher? or is he a paid personality placed by outside interests? I admire him for helping one football player and getting him a scholarship...however..."academically," is this student performing? Is this a one incident? What about all the other students? Male and female?

And if you don't live in San Diego, how are you related to the program, and how is it you call this "one of our" homeless players?

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 3, 2012 @ 9:48 a.m.

Look, I am not a gay cheerleader, but comments like this should not be tolerated by anyone, especially a teacher. Sorry, he is not a good choice IMO. And some of the other comments were very inflamatory too.

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 3:01 p.m.

SurfPuppy619 - you talk about inflammatory, read his book.

Stan Hochman of the philadelphia daily news seemed to sum it up:

"The Way Things Oughta' Be Told makes Mein Kampf look like a bedtime story"!

erupting Nov. 3, 2012 @ 10:11 a.m.

Anyone who wants to know what Grossman stands for only needs to read the rear flap on his book. Take a look,it's offensive. It appears gays,women and the n word as he says are the problem with this world. His favorite word is moron. He needs to look in the mirror and see a real moron. His type of prejudice is not the norm, thank God. His opinions on Affirmative Action is repulsive. Hopefully this is past tense in his life, and he has grown up. But I will not be voting for him.

oneoftheteachers Nov. 3, 2012 @ 12:04 p.m.

God help us all in the Sweetwater District if this man and/or Quinones are elected. Bertha Lopez and George Cameron are a real threat to the culture of corruption in SUHSD and are our only chance of salvation.

cvres Nov. 3, 2012 @ 1:37 p.m.

Mr. Johnston, about criticizing what you don't understand---I believe that there are many supporting facts to indicate that Grossman is the hand-picked candidate of Brand, the superintendent. All Grossman stories aside, that would be a reason to not support him for the board. Many people are beginning to see that what happened in the district with superintendent Gandara was rooted in Brand's first term as superintendent.

tomjohnston Nov. 3, 2012 @ 2:04 p.m.

I don't know of Grossman's suitability, or lack thereof to serve; it's not my concern and frankly I don't care. My comment was not in reference to that . It was in reference to someone who seems to profess not even knowing who he is, while still passing judgement on him As I said, while not even being a SD resident, I know who he is and that he is running. That's it . Period. Nothing else was meant to be inferred or implied.

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 3:04 p.m.

Tomjohnston: when a person writes a book about their beliefs, are we not to take them at their own typed word?

grossman may be the nicest guy in the world - but suitable to serve on a school board - based on his words no.

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 6:47 p.m.

Tomjohnston: with all due respect Sir i did. a man is only as good as his word, it appears you would ask us to forget them and take your word that he is an ok guy. my concern is simple, the students - how would he react to those students specifice whom, by his own written word, he has spoken vehemently against. i guess on this issue we will, have to, agree to disagree.

Jmbrickley Nov. 3, 2012 @ 9:59 p.m.

Where in my post did I say or allude to the fact that I did not know who he is? My Burt Who? reference is to the fact that Burt Grossman is a "NO-SHOW" cadidate. He doesn't bother to attend SUHSD board meetings, doesn't show at numerous public candidate forums, and has publicly stated that he was entering the race because he thinks Pearl Quinones thinks she is hot stuff, what with her hair and all. I also added that he brings absolutely NOTHING to the discussion and offers ZERO improvement to the ails that plague SUHSD. I read his book. I read ALL of his book, and I was absolutely sickened by what I read.

The fact that he is more than likely the hand-picked candidate of the current superintendant can only mean one thing, and one thing only. If Burt Grossman is elected to the school board at SUHSD, then there will be NO, NONE, ZILTCH, NADA change in the current management style at Sweetwater. The public wants change at the top, and more of the same isn't change.

And, just for the record, Burt's teaching credential is a 30-day emergency substitute cred. Any college grad can get one of those. Also, if you look it up, you can see his credential expired during his term as "mentor" while he "counseled" those students in SD. His cred was lapse for around six weeks during his "NFL Teacher of the YEAR" time frame.

As a thirty year teacher, I know a teacher when I see one, and in his case... Burt Who?

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 2:46 p.m.

will the real burt grossman please stand up:

on education: as taken from the october 15, 1990 story 'a burt's eye view' by Bruce Newman:

"i was a trouble maker, alwas getting into fights, and i had bad grades - straight f's, as a matter of fact."

after moving back to his fathers house in bala cnwyd, burt attended public schools until the 10th grade, when he transferred to Archbishop Carroll. "i had my usual all f's, and then it was time for catholic guidance". - a whole two years huh?

it appears that mr grossman's memory started at the 10th grade. he then seems to forget the following: "i didn't pay school much mind. we would go play pool or shoot people with bb guns, whatever people at pitt do. i did just enough to stay eligible". does his history as a rebel rouser matter? i do not believe so, but what i find troubling is the fact that he chose to paint a different picture regarding the truth about his scholastics.

on high school sports: while he attempts to promote equality amongst the genders again his words seem to indicate a discrepancy: "i personally think women sportswriters should have the right to go into all male NFL locker rooms, but only after the men have left. THAT WAY NO ONE WOULD GET IN THEIR WAY WHILE THEY CLEANED THE TOILETS AND URINALS". - REALLY? - of the national organization for women and its membership: "when i look at Molly Yard, i get the feeling she might have come from an era when jurassic park was more than a movie". - taken from commentary of Tom Cushman, UT, 6-09-96 - these quotes apparently were taken from mr. grossman's book "the way things otta be"

on being gay and playing football: "gay pride,? perversion, ain't much to be proud of." WOW, now just imagine how gay and lesbian students will feel about themselves knowing one of the board members leading their school districts feels this way about them.

let me provide a few other quotes:

"the NOW gang with its feminists and gender feminists are wackos, radicals that deserve to be verbally smacked around."

then was the Jim Rome interview in which he used the 'n' word.

regarding dogs and women: "either a dog or get married. there's less aggravation with a dog. to get rid of a dog, you take it to the aspca and it doesn't get half your money".

it appears that one of grossman's dogs was a pitbull named 'bernie', in honor of new york subway gunman bernhard goetz.

somewhere along the line mr. grossman chose to skip the class on "think before you speak".

regarding his alleged friendship with dr. brand : "look i know everybody thinks i'm friends with ed brand, we're not friends, he's never been to my house and i've never been to his, WE'VE ONLY BEEN OUT TO LUNCH LIKE 5 - 6 TIMES" hmmmm, any bets on how many times brand took out Mr. George Cameron or Ms. Jessica Saenz-Gonzalez?"

while he is entitled to his own opinions, SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER - REALLY? ah, that would be a NO VOTE FOR ME.

Visduh Nov. 3, 2012 @ 3:32 p.m.

If he's Brandara's choice for school board, then you don't want him on the board. Simple as that? Yes, simple as that. Add in his rants on the printed page, and you have a guy who does not belong on any school board, and perhaps even on a school campus, regardless of his capacity there.

joepublic Nov. 3, 2012 @ 4:25 p.m.

So, Mr. Grossman thinks that parents demanding equality between genders are "wackos". Hasn't he heard of Title IX? Sweetwater has already been found in violation of gender discrimination regarding sports, and his attitude is exactly what the district doesn't need. Aside from the disturbing quotes in his book, cvres and Visduh are right, if he's Brand's choice, then that says enough...DON'T VOTE FOR HIM!

Visduh Nov. 3, 2012 @ 6:08 p.m.

Folks say that "things" nowadays are complex. Not so. You summed it up in the last four words of your comment.

Visduh Nov. 4, 2012 @ 11:38 a.m.

I may be mistaken, but this is the first time you have posted. And when you post, you then impugn the Reader and its frequent comment posters. If you have such a low opinion of the medium and some of us who make comments, why do you follow the website? As to the five "losers", I can name anniej, erupting, eastlaker, and joepublic. That's only four, so I guess I'm the fifth "loser." As can be determined from my avatar name, I don't live in south county, and really have no dog in this fight. Moreover, we have plenty of nonsense in local boards here in No County. But this fiasco in the Sweetwater district is far worse than anything I've ever seen or heard of in any California school district, and it screams for action. But there will be no reform until and unless the voters get really good candidates. The fact that the supe who was hired by the old board endorses or favors a candidate makes that candidate immediately suspect.

So, timtim, who are you? A sock puppet for the fat man? A sock puppet for Grossman?

eastlaker Nov. 5, 2012 @ 5:38 p.m.

Wow, I'm honored to be officially a part of this "loser" group! I couldn't be in better company, as I actually know we aren't the losers by any definition...maybe we should hold a 'non-loser' gathering in a few days! Nothing like a good brainstorming session among friends!

This has got to be the best laugh I have had in days!

Wabbit Nov. 6, 2012 @ 3:42 p.m.

timtim, the Reader runs a photo of him from "back in the day." Has he grown up? Matured? Does he retract his disturbing words?

Wabbit Nov. 6, 2012 @ 3:44 p.m.

timtim, so Mr. Grossman is paid what, $200K plus other grants to "teach?" The story says he has a class load of 30 students. I suspect they are all male students who are benefitting from his encouragement? Seriously?

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 6:42 p.m.

timtim: and you quote laprensa? the same news organization that endorsed pearl quinones? i guess tim tim you would have us vote for quinones - sorry i value the education of the south bay youth far too much. perhaps you did not read the words that quinones typed with her very own little fingers. no doubt you would have us ignore all of those campaign contributions that john mccann and jim cartmill received as well. and what say you about that contract that ed brand was given? you know the 2 yr contract (brand will be 60 in 2 years) that will give brand full medical, vision, rx, and dental til the age of 66 - right up to the month that he is eligible for medicare. guess you see nothing wrong with that gift that mccann, cartmill and soon to be tried arlie ricasa gave to a superintendent who has done NOTHING to improve ANYTHING that is sweetwater

it is what it is - those were grossman's words in his interview(s) and he took pride in saying them

Susan Luzzaro Nov. 3, 2012 @ 6:50 p.m.

Thank you timtim for reading the Reader. I gather from your comments you have been a longtime reader.

Sjtorres Nov. 3, 2012 @ 7:40 p.m.

Wow. We seem to get more than our fair share of crooks and nutjobs in this area.

Can we get more like George Cameron? Please?

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 11:33 p.m.

Sjtorres: yes, it is hard to believe isn't it. thank goodness Mr. Cameron entered the race. HE is a man whose integrity will not/can not be challenged - unlike the current board member he is working to replace, but a few more sitting up there.

wow, what a night that will be when he is sworn in. 1 down, 3 more to go - then to make it a full sweep we will look to hire a superintendent who will focus on the youth, a superintendent who is not preoccupied with brand university. what a joke, brand university, now if they were talking about embarrassing situations i could see them naming that "brand messes", but a university - you have to be kidding me.

Jmbrickley Nov. 3, 2012 @ 10:15 p.m.

let me think... (that could be dangerous)

The TRO came to nothing

the 20,000 was money borrowed from Mission Fed Credit Union for a car loan

at the time, the 55 million was unaccounted for by the CFO of Sweetwater and Lopez was stating she would find it and by "taking care of it" meant she would get to the bottom of the matter

the "singing in the rain" was a reference back to getting the car loan

her home was raided, but nothing of substance was found

as to the classified forum, he was rude and evasive. He did not blow her away. the UT rarely endorses a Dem, and Laprensa just spouts all the old stuff that never happened over and over.

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 11:17 p.m.

timtim: my opinion, brand is telling you what to say tim time. simply will not let the old her home was raiding thing alone. was she indicted? that would be a NO. laprensa endorsed quinones - that about sums up any endorsement it would give. oh but that is right pearl often refers to you as her friend.

management forum, funny, i heard she did quite well. grossman failed to show up at two important community forums, why would that be?

the quote singing in the rain, i believe she answered that question - brand had just held one of his seminars to get all of the board members to love each other - her comment, sarcasm.

you saw him at the classified endorsement? hmmmm, you just let the cat out of the bag, now i understand the handle 'tim tim' - you mean the forum where grossman showed up dressed in cut off fatigue shorts - where he answered "I don't know" more than a few times. the one where he disrespected the principal of otay ranch? where he made the now infamous quote about he and brand only going to lunch about 5-6 times.

perhaps you should google the man, see for yourself what fellow players, coaches and others say about the man.

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 11:20 p.m.

timtim: her votes? lets discuss her votes. she UNLIKE the others did NOT allow the campaign donations to influence or buy her votes.

since you are listing campaign donations - perhaps you might want to put up the amounts the heavy hitters put in the coffers of the others - and then explain why they voted in direct opposition of bertha lopez 99.9% of the time. yes lopez stood alone - in favor of the students, taxpayers, and all employees of the district -

anniej Nov. 3, 2012 @ 11:27 p.m.

timtim: oh we have lots to fill the void, it is called cleaning up the district. ridding it of those who use their offices for personal or political gain. the courts will take care of ricasa. we will work to unseat mccann and cartmill with candidates the community will respect - candidates who will work towards getting our schools off of the program improvement list vs adding schools to it - i.e. olympiian, JUST ADDED to the program improvement list, really? and finally hoping to see brand sitting in his truck with his gps set for up north - we will wave bye bye while "siri" takes him home FOR GOOD THIS TIME.

Jmbrickley Nov. 4, 2012 @ 8:28 a.m.

When you attack the posters personally, you just lost the arguement.

joepublic Nov. 4, 2012 @ 10:16 a.m.

timtim:
You sound a lot like Burt Grossman with your name calling. You use words like "losers" instead of "wackos" when referring to people who are trying to make their school district better. Different words - same mentality. I did read the piece in LaPrensa. While they did take Bertha Lopez to task, you forgot to mention this part:

["Bertha needs to go, but we are not sure Grossman is the right man for the position. We have talked with Grossman and he is extremely likable, it just seems that he did not put enough thought into what it is to campaign or even why he ran."] LaPrensa Oct. 12,2012

anniej Nov. 4, 2012 @ 8:18 p.m.

timtim: you have your players mixed up. now tim tim you know darn well it is brand who likes to play with asb monies. i mean it was his brainiac idea that the asb's (YOU KNOW THE STUDENTS) have to pay the district 5% of all earnings. it was brand who brought in mike ellis, author of "the rape of cinderella" AND A CONVICTED FELON - convicted of manufacturing meth. and what about that pepsi cola contract? what about the monies, never mind you will find out soon enough.

Visduh Nov. 4, 2012 @ 8:06 p.m.

Note that without a ghostwriter and an editor his writing looks like something a sixth-grader might produce. The correct response to this piece would have been a reasoned reply. Ahh, but what we got was a half-baked, poorly reasoned, grammatically immature series of rants. But, of course, you and I, SurfPup, are just part of a bunch of losers who need a life. (Betcha my life is far more varied and challenging than his.)

anniej Nov. 4, 2012 @ 8:12 p.m.

timtim: ESPN - you speak with forked tongue on that one. fillapino times - they endorsed arlie. La Prensa - they are endorsing pearl. Republican Party - now we realize that allegedly john mccann and jim cartmill are backing him (backing a person who has issues with gays, lesbians, women in general, and wives) - but none of the respected Republicans i know. all of the workers in the district? - now on this one you are telling a bald face lie.

tim tim, you still have not answered WHY Grossman failed to show up to the community forums? appears he only received the endorsement of one aspect of one of the unions.

this is a forum for factual debate, please do not grasp for straws by attempting to color the truth - remember that is what the community is currently fighting - lack of integrity and corruption.

regarding the persons you name - i seem to recall that their names were mentioned by the District Attorney in the DA's case for justification of the search warrants. i understand the FBI thought them credible as well - funny, i failed to see your name as a concerned person who stepped forward calling for an investigation. two of those persons were nominated for teacher of the year SEVERAL TIMES, what is your claim to fame?

anniej Nov. 4, 2012 @ 8:25 p.m.

timtim - 'little man who wants to be king' - COULD IT BE???????????????????

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 8:01 a.m.

VOTE - that is what is important.

we all come to these boards with our opinions. on the issue of sweetwater, it goes without saying, i am passionate. is this what or where i saw myself putting my energy - NO. but i continue to ask myself "what is the option? forgetting about it, pretend that the alleged corruption does not exist" - sorry, can't do that. for my skeptics i ask, "what is in it for anniej personally - the answer, the peace of mind that i have done 'something' to help secure an education for ALL youth of the south bay. my efforts, not enough, but they are sincere. the children of my community deserve far better than they are getting. the newest school to be built in an area that is referred to as affluent has just been placed on the 'program improvement' list. i am wondering how the parents of those students feel? how could this happen?

the leadership at the district board level has failed the students and failed the taxpayers. they are simply not focused on educating the students, correcting what is wrong, or working towards a new focus. instead, we have certain board members out and about shaking hands at political events, two others fighting felony indictments, and we have a superintendent whose only priority appears to be money and grandiose dreams of brand university. well, in order to get those kids into college we are going to need to provide them with an education in grades 7-12. the charter schools he initially fought when he returned in 2011 he now embraces - most likely he sees these charters as a way to line his pockets in some way.

the apathy of we the people is an embarrassment. many still not aware of the facts, and the facts can not be disputed. the program improvement list is growing, the student teacher ratio is growing, the deficit is growing (eventhough the district continues to borrow from peter to pay paul), the gap between the board vs. the unified team of the students, community and sweetwater employees is growing.

Visduh, you are correct sir - it seems that leeches in government are everywhere, we could all go along our merry way with an "its not my problem" frame of mind or we can do what each of us does. do what we can to bring about change.

so, for the good of the students lets all help to get out the vote - the time is now, let us not forget that each journey begins with the very first step.

oh, and in case there is any doubt i am going to be filling in the dot next to Bertha Lopez and George Cameron.

and what is anniej going to be doing come wednesday, no matter the results of this election i will be working towards getting out the facts - THE HARD DATA- accountability in writing - the history of the votes of john mccann and jim cartmill. as these two go, so will brand.

eastlaker Nov. 5, 2012 @ 9:35 a.m.

Well said. But if "the apathy of we the people is an embarrassment", then Superintendent Ed Brand and his majority board of supervisiors is a far greater embarrassment.

We can do something about both.

Since when do people like Brand, McCann, Cartmill, et al, feel that they can operate outside the will of the people and for their own personal monetary gain?

Let us send a message that we want honesty and good public service in this school district and this community.

Thanks anniej, thanks Susan, thanks to all who tirelessly seek to educate and inform "we the people".

Here's to bettering education in Sweetwater!

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 12:30 p.m.

eastlaker: be careful, you don't want to make tim tim or 'little man who wants to be king' (john mccann) upset. they do not defend their position with facts, they defend their actions with insults.

please join me wednesday - by beginning to help compile a historical reference of the votes of jim cartmill and john mccann - as well as the expenditures of ed brand to entities not classroom related. the work to educate the taxpayers needs to begin ASAP, no need to wait for 2014, they need to be held accountable.

number one on the list - we the taxpayers having to pay over $6,000 in attorney fees in john mccann's futile attempt to receive a permanent tro against someone he dislikes simply because they had the never to challenge his voting record. 'why, i never, the absolute gall that any taxpayer would believe that a board member should be held accountable for their vote'.

eastlaker Nov. 5, 2012 @ 5:54 p.m.

anniej, I don't think I would know how to make anyone upset. I only want the truth about all the Sweetwater finances since Ed Brand first arrived. Why would that bother anyone?

That includes Mello-Roos accounting, all other bond accounting, all the fund-shifting and borrowing, and who is being paid to handle all our funds, as we know it isn't being done in-house. Who are we giving all our money to?

Why should that be a problem for anyone? After all, it is the public's money, and the public has a right to know.

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 6:11 p.m.

Eastlaker: each and EVERY single word in your post is the absolute truth, thank goodness for persons like you, persons who have come together to demand a true accounting.

in truth, however i am partially to blame. twenty plus years ago i, like many others voted for jim cartmill and arlie ricasa - i then, like many others felt i had done my duty as a taxpayer - i left the education of the children of my community in the hands of those i voted for - i then, and i say this with my head bent down in embarrassment - walked away thinking i had done all i needed to do.

BOY WAS I WRONG, never again-------------------

Wabbit Nov. 5, 2012 @ 2:35 p.m.

thank you, anniej! Guess I am not one of the five frequent posters to earn timtim's disdain. I thank you many times for what you are doing!

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 6:05 p.m.

Wabbit: many more are doing far more than i.

don't forget to vote!!!!!!

Wabbit Nov. 6, 2012 @ 3:37 p.m.

Don't worry, annie, I won't forget...I have a favorite candidate in this election!

angrybirds Nov. 5, 2012 @ 9:29 a.m.

Wow, I go away for work for a week and all hell breaks loose. I think everyone be able to vote for whomever they want. But everyone should be informed before making a decision but Grossman really that one is a joke. In reading all of the stories and posts and attending one or two board meetings what this board does not need is someone that this superintendent wants or needs on this board. Look people Pearl is out one way or another so I 100% prefer Cameron in there now, and Lopez she is a little spit fire who is taking Brand to task and reminding him she is his boss and not the other way around. I think that the only way to real in this superintendent is with two people who have nothing to do with him.

erupting Nov. 5, 2012 @ 11:54 a.m.

The majority rules vote vote vote. timtim better luck next time. Too many people know better.

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 12:20 p.m.

timtim: Susan Davis you said, hmmmm funny Ms. Davis's camp seems to have no knowledge of endorsing Mr. Grossman. perhaps you might want to put up that link. now Ms. Davis did write a letter congratulating Mr. Grossman for his nfl teacher of the year award - but endorsing him as school board member - tim tim - it appears you need a time out for fibbing.

i am still waiting for the listing of john mccann and jim cartmills campaign contributions for the last election from you -----------------

still waiting on your opinion regarding john mccann and jim cartmills vote for the lavish new contract they just gave brand. tim tim, thought we were broke? why are we giving money to a superintendent yet keeping money for the classroom away from the students.

tim, you and 'little man who wants to be king' share many things in common but number one is your fear of the integrity of Bertha Lopez. GO LOPEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, your time out is up - you can come out of the corner now.

eastlaker Nov. 5, 2012 @ 5:50 p.m.

Susan, I hope you consider making this into a book, or perhaps a series of books: The Cleansing of Sweetwater: vol. 1 Brand Muddies the Waters, vol. 2 Building Schools, Building Contacts, vol. 3 Quick Exit, or Ed Moves North, vol. 4 The Soccoro Connection, vol. 5 Gandara's Greed, Which the Board Still Feeds, vol. 6 Fast Eddy Returns, vol. 7 Still Waters Run Deep, vol. 8 The Public's Demand for Truth and Transparency is Met, or Things are Much Better Now!

Of course we still have a ways to go, but we are getting there!

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 6:02 p.m.

eastlaker: oh what a book this district would make - i am thinking bigger MADE FOR MOVIE, ha ha

unfortunately all of what you say is sad but so true.

joepublic Nov. 5, 2012 @ 6:24 p.m.

timtim's argument that the offensive quotes from Burt Grossman's book should be excused since they were made years ago might hold a little water if Grossman would have apologized to all that he had offended and disavowed the quotes . We must conclude that this man's small mind hasn't grown one bit. Of course superintendent Brand would love having him on board. Small brains are easier to manipulate. It's why we need Ms Lopez to continue questioning.

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 7:16 p.m.

Joepublic: yes, this community, we taxpayers do indeed need ms. lopez.

something to think about, or should i say look forward to - THE UPCOMING TRIALS. the information spoken on the stand, under oath by those who have plead guilty will no doubt be enlightening - a true spotlight will be aimed at those who need to be exposed for the pretenders that they are. those pretenders who sat in those board seats and did nothing to help improve the education of the youth - because they were far too busy shoveling in those campaign donations and ----------------. up til now the 'little man' has painted himself as pure as the driven snow - somethin' tells me this trial is going to shine a light in places that will expose the real little man to ALL.

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 6:55 p.m.

timtim - i am not mr. brickley - and you sir are indeed the laughing stock of the south bay. terrible teacher, there you go again fibbing - do you want another time out.

mr. brickley was nominated for teacher of the year how many times??????? probably about as many as you have used your military service for personal gain.

timtim- there is difference between insults and speaking the truth. is it or is it NOT true that you want to be mayor, is it or is it not true that you have a reputation of being a little man who sees himself far greater than his deeds - I REST MY CASE........

Jmbrickley Nov. 5, 2012 @ 11:51 p.m.

timtim... here's your chance to put up or shut up. Exactly which classroom was I removed from? What school was I at at the time? And, what was I teaching.

Also, exacty when was I placed in Alt Ed.? If you can come up with the year, that will be considered close enough.

Also, (this is the tearcher in me) it's spelled "buried." To hear you talk, one would think Alt. Ed. was some sort of bad place. In reality it was a great place to work. Making a difference in at-risk students' lives was the most rewarding job I have ever had. Receiving the "Teacher of the Year" award my final year was quite an honor. To be recognized as one of the best teachers in Sweetwater doesn't happen everyday.

Anyway, don't keep me waiting about when it was that I was so terrible.

Jmbrickley Nov. 7, 2012 @ 12:23 a.m.

I guess little timmy is having a lot of trouble with my challenge. I will have to come to the conclusion he, like Georgie Porgie, ran away.

It always amazes me the outlandish things people will say when they hide behind a psuedonym. Guess little timtim isn't man enough to post under his real idenity.

Jmbrickley Nov. 5, 2012 @ 11:54 p.m.

Way cool! I didn't notice before, but my photo is on her homepage. Thanks for the post.

anniej Nov. 6, 2012 @ 7:59 a.m.

Jmbrickley: i thank you for being one of my daughters favorite mentors. your ability to connect with your students, and treat them as young adults vs. children - your direct candor and humor -your inspirational talks i.e. "YOU are the captain of your own ship" (paraphrase). what more could a parent ask of an educator?

regarding tim tim - let us not forget the teacher who blogged about tim tim the student - truth is some little boys never grow up, tim tim is a living example of that.

Jmbrickley Nov. 6, 2012 @ 10:20 a.m.

My full quote is "You are the captain of your soul; the master of your fate. Only you control your destiny." That was usually followed by examples of how that philosophy could become reality. The concept of the quote is not mine. I read it many years ago myself and embraced it as my guiding principle.

Your daughter did not need any help from me. She is one of the most squared away people I have ever met. I learned more from her than you can imagine.

Jmbrickley Nov. 6, 2012 @ 10:23 a.m.

Invictus, by William E. Henley

Out of the night that covers me, Black as the Pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears Looms but the Horror of the shade, And yet the menace of the years Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 7:01 p.m.

tiny tim - mr. brickley and others have dubbed the man you brought back to the district - ed brand - a puppet master. i know it will be hard but try to come up with your own one liners. and, "her house was raided' does not count. nor does "when i was in afghanistan"

it must be difficult sitting across from someone you only wish you could emulate (Lopez) emulate - that is e, m, u, l, a, "yes it is a real word - you can find it in websters.

erupting Nov. 5, 2012 @ 7:09 p.m.

timtim this is the L St. Yeti, I wish you could put your money where your mouth is. Lopez will prevail. Sorry your wrong again but no fear we're already use to your false claims and over inflated views of your friends and self little man.

eastlaker Nov. 5, 2012 @ 7:27 p.m.

When I read the words of timtim, what comes to mind is this, from Dante:

"Let us not speak of them; but look, and pass on."

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 7:28 p.m.

erupting: you know most persons of ANY intelligence have heard of duck and cover. not 'little man' - NO, he is like a problem child who desires attention - no matter how negative it is. most rational persons would think, "you know if this many people perceive me this way, maybe, just maybe, they are onto something. perhaps i need to have a talk with that man in the mirror" - earth to anniej - this is the 'little man who wants to be king" he does not operate in the real world - he operates in the world of parking lot incidents (allegedly aimed his car at a political adversary), temper tantrums (night he turned off all of the mics at a board meeting and then stomped off of the stage because he could not MAKE ms. lopez stop making sense, allegedly cried out to the police "he refused to shake my hand".

i am envisioning a district where the community attends and is able to listen to intelligent, rational persons speak with integrity about the education of our students. soon, hopefully real soon.

Susan Luzzaro Nov. 5, 2012 @ 8:05 p.m.

I did hear back from Susan Davis's campaign headquarters today. Apparently Davis did not endorse Mr. Grossman.

anniej Nov. 5, 2012 @ 8:50 p.m.

did tim tim tell another fib?

another lie dingy dingy in the 'little man who wants to be king' data book. surprised? ah, that would be a NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angrybirds Nov. 5, 2012 @ 8:52 p.m.

Uh oh timtim liar liar pants on fire! The way I see all of these blogs is your the only one without any of your facts correct. Reading all the posts I think you are mr McCann what a shame that you are such a cowardly pompous ass.

dbdriver Nov. 6, 2012 @ 9:30 a.m.

Timtim posts the ESPN video about Grossman asking what another has done for kids.

Well, I've volunteered that last several years at my student's schools, helping out both marching band and choir, attending all the performances, helping set up and clean up for events and competitions, helped with fund raising, helped chaperone on most trips, and even made sure many had rides home afterwards.

But, like the video, how does that qualify someone to run for the board? It doesn't.

Grossman wants to fight corruption. Very noble. Then he challenges the one board member who consistently asks questions about what she is voting for. Why? Because nobody else challenged her. (And why would that be, I wonder? Maybe others see her as a positive in the system.)

Grossman wants to unite our board. How does he mean? Everybody in agreement in decisions that don't help our students? I want board members to have different opinions on topics, to discuss the issues and even agree to disagree.

anniej Nov. 6, 2012 @ 10:11 a.m.

dbdriver: many words of wisdom in your post. The sentence i would like to speak on is your last one. "i want board members to have differenct opinions on topics, to discuss the issues and even agree to disagree".

db - FINALLY, someone understands the frustration of the south bay community. i have been to each and every meeting for the past 3 years - i can count on one hand, on maybe two (2) fingers the numbers of times there has been an actual discussion or sharing of ideas - instead, meeting after meeting we sit there - agenda item is brought forward, the vote is called - botta botta bang ( we, the taxpayers already know the vote) historically it has been a 4-1 vote - Bertha Lopez, the one lone vote. now in all fairness recently, like real recently, Quinones has been voting with Lopez (oh, what a difference an election can make). discussion you say? no such respect to the importance of the issues, if words are spoken they are either breast beating proclamations or boring back patting speeches. in fact, i can not remember a discussion on any item in which the board members as a whole brought forward their reasoning behind a vote.

sweetwater, is indeed, politics at its worst and dysfunction at its best, and that is why my fingers are crossed that Mr. George Cameron will be voted in. while i do not know the man personally i have done my research, thorough research i might add - from what i have discovered, he is a man of integrity, a man who can be trusted, he is intelligent, but most important HE IS ALL ABOUT THE EDUCATION OF OUR STUDENTS. no doubt he will bring a much needed voice for the students and the taxpayers to the issues - Lopez can not or should not have to do it along.

Thank Your for weighing in Sir, your posts are always thought provoking and an interesting read.

anniej Nov. 7, 2012 @ 8:15 a.m.

the people have spoken -

Lopez will be sitting up there at that long table for 4 more years fighting the good fight. she will attempt to do what is right by voting in line with what is best for the education of our youth and the pocket books of the taxpayers who each and every day leave for work to earn the dollars that are needed to survive in this economy.

it is indeed troubling that we find ourselves unable to trust the majority of the school board to serve in an ethical manner. it is indeed troubling that we find ourselves facing the fact that at a time when we are told our district is broke that they, the very same naysayers, just last month GAVE ed brand one of the richest contracts in the nation. a contract that eliminated the need for a physical and a contract that will last for 2 years - at that time brand will be 60 yet this very same contract gave him medical, dental, and vision coverage till the age of 66 when he will be eligible for medicare. and who will be paying those insurance premiums? the NO bodies, who are UNimportant to john mccann, jim cartmill, and arlie ricasa - we will be paying those premiuns - we, the folks who do not have contractors and vendors helping us win office. we, the masses, who in fact OWN THE SWEETWATER DISTRICT.

unfortunately my choice Mr. George Cameron came in a close second. oh, if only the vote would not have been split. Vogel, in fact, did little if anything in the race for the seat. Saenz-Gonzalez fought the good fight but in the end the numbers needed for Cameron to win were split. this was a hard fought campaign - much was at stake,

so now we are left with quinones, a candidate re elected even though she is facing SEVERAL FELONY indictments. tell me what does that say about this community? are we that uninformed, are we that uneducated, are we that disenfranchised that we would allow such a travesty to occur? so many questions,..............................

will quinones revert back to the one minute gal? allowing a mere one minute for public comment - will she revert back and join the brand camp along with john mccann, jim cartmill and arlie ricasa - the three who follow so close behind brand that if he stopped to sneeze they would trip over themselves? the three who sing his praises. we will soon see..............

let us not forget the trials are just around the corner. plea deals being made? hopefully the plea will include the inability to hold any future public office. based on the results of quinones election it appears many of us do not have the ability to use common sense no, we need government to make the right decisions for us - wow - a far troubling reflection of our community.

let us all take time to reflect on a new future - a future when each one of those will do what we can to improve this obviously broken community. we are, after all, the ones charged with leading the way for the future leaders of America.

erupting Nov. 7, 2012 @ 7:19 p.m.

timtim,Bertha won as predicted. Where are you? Cat must have your tongue. Bye little man.