(stock photo)
  • (stock photo)

During their meeting on May 2, San Diego Unified School District boardmembers endorsed Prop 29, which, if passed, will tax cigarettes an additional one dollar per pack.

The board’s endorsement of the so-called California Cancer Research Act came in the wake of District B representative Kevin Beiser finding out that his mother “was just diagnosed with lung cancer last month, [and Tuesday] she goes in for another day of chemotherapy.” Beiser, who led the charge to endorse the proposition, was joined by boardmembers who have faced cancer-related deaths in their families.

The board's resolution comes at a time when the smoking rate among California high school students is estimated at more than 3.4 million current smokers, according to tobaccofreekids.org.

Beiser noted that Prop 29 would not only bring in revenue for school-based programs to reduce youth smoking, but would also provide millions of dollars for cancer research.

Comments

Visduh May 4, 2012 @ 5:43 p.m.

You will rarely encounter a public body, such as a school district, that does not favor a tax, and if the tax could benefit that public body, it will certainly favor it. I'm not a fan of smoking in any way. Public smoking years ago drove me out of restaurants and other entertainment venues, and now that old habits are in place, I still don't make heavy use of them. It pains me to see any kid smoking, and I don't doubt the stats for teen smoking: the forbidden fruit turns into something that most of them try out. Then some get hooked. But take a close look at what the tax will actually do. It could end up hijacked and diverted into who-knows-what.

loribrem May 4, 2012 @ 10:39 p.m.

Kudos to San Diego Unified for seeing through the smokescreen created by the opposition (the tobacco companies) and safeguarding the well being of our children by supporting Prop 29. Its a fact that increasing the cost of cigarettes reduces adult AND youth smoking, but kids are especially price sensitive. Passing Prop 29 will prevent over 200K California youth from becoming tobacco addicts. I'm voting Yes on 29 to save lives, keep kids from smoking and who knows . . . maybe the research dollars will lead us to a cure for cancer.

SurfPuppy619 May 7, 2012 @ 2:24 p.m.

Prop 29 has NOTHING to do with "safeguarding" anyone, it is just a tax for "research", and it protects no one and nothing. What, we don't know cigs and tobacco cause health problems already?? please.

conanthequasilibertarian May 7, 2012 @ 9:58 p.m.

Lori's comment has nothing to do with whether or not we already know that tobacco use is harmful. Making cigarettes more expensive reduces their use, especially among teenagers. Simple as that.

So I could mischaracterize your comment as demonstrating that you are in favor of underage smoking. Should I do that?

SurfPuppy619 May 8, 2012 @ 2:59 p.m.

My comment has nothing to do with underage smoking and everything to do with a waste of money on so called 'research" whose only function is to line the pockets of the "researchers". I hate smoking, but it is a legal product, and should not be taxed at 500%. It is nothing more than giving more money to gov who do not use it wisely or for anyone but themselves......"Lori" is doing nothing but SPAMMING the Internet on Prop 29 with this dumb post because she is a fake or a paid blogger. She should not be spamming here.

BTW Conan, please fell free to back up the bogus numbers Lori posted about 200K not smoking with a link.....I won't hold my breath.

ThinkClearly May 7, 2012 @ 6:41 p.m.

I am tired of smelling cigarette smoke everywhere I go. Since they can't smoke indoors anymore, they light up on the sidewalks and everybody gets to share their suicidal habit. I would like to see them raise the tax rate on a single pack of cigarettes an additional $15.00 to help stop smoking altogether, and to help our state save our share of the nearly $100 Billion a year that it now costs the USA for smoking related healthcare expenditures.

Tobacco-Related Monetary Costs in the USA

Total annual public and private health care expenditures caused by smoking: $96 billion Annual Federal and state government smoking-caused Medicaid payments: $30.9 billion [Federal share: $17.6 billion per year. States’ share: $13.3 billion]

• Federal government smoking-caused Medicare expenditures each year: $27.4 billion

• Other federal government tobacco-caused health care costs (e.g. through VA health care): $9.6 billion