R.I.P, Johnny Raizian
  • R.I.P, Johnny Raizian

Loading story body...

More from around the web

Comments

Ken Harrison June 20, 2012 @ 1:31 p.m.

I sure hope whoever leases the place understands the power of that Johnny R character on the sign. They'd be foolish to change the name.

dwbat June 20, 2012 @ 4:29 p.m.

I admit I know nothing about the restaurant business. But it's a sign of the times as mom 'n' pop restaurants (and stores) continue to disappear across the country. They simply cannot compete anymore with the regional and national chain operations. The restaurant operator (who took over from "Johnny R") could not make it work. I think they would be foolish to KEEP the name if the site remains a restaurant, as it doesn't have the panache needed. It is too dated. Midrange, stylish restaurants seem to be what diners want now. Not high price, but not fast food either. Like Pita Jungle, which now occupies an old space.in Hillcrest,

SanCarlosGuy June 20, 2012 @ 5:58 p.m.

I think Dwbat is absolutly correct. Change the name, and move in a stylish, mid-price range restaurant serving quality fresh food and maybe alchohol. There are many cutomers within walking or short drive distance to this location.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2012 @ 7:23 p.m.

It looks like that is happening. According to the Facebook page for Brians' American Eatery: "So to put any rumors to rest: Brians' American Eatery on Washington will not be re-opening. Instead we are moving to Lil B's at 2611 El Cajon Blvd. Yes, it is the former location of Johnny's R Family Restaurant."

dwbat Aug. 25, 2012 @ 11:51 a.m.

I went by today for a look, and the renovations are going fast. The owner (Brian) was there, and said their opening should be around Sept. 9. The employees at the old Brians' are all coming aboard too, he said. [Yes, Brians' is spelled correctly because there were two Brians at the now-closed restaurant.]

None

dwbat Oct. 10, 2012 @ 8:18 p.m.

I went by today and Lil B's is now open. Will try it out soon.

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!