Brandon Hernández 1 p.m., March 28
The Holy House of Walsingham
- A noble widow sometime lady of this town
- Called Richeldis, living full virtuous,
- Desired of Our Lady a
- Her to honour with some work bounteous.
- This Blessed Virgin and Lady most gracious
- Granted her petition, as I shall after tell
- Unto her worship to edify this chapel.
- In spirit Our Lady to Nazareth her led,
- And showed her the place where Gabriel her greet.
- Lo daughter consider, to her Our Lady said,
- Of this place take accurately the measurement
- Another like this at Walsingham thou set
- Unto my laud and singular honor,
- All that me seek there shall find succor.
- Where shall be had in a memorial,
- The great joy of my salutation.
- First of my joy’s ground and original,
- Root of mankind’s gracious redemption
- When Gabriel gave to me relation
- To be a mother through humility
- And God’s son conceived in virginity.
More from SDReader
- “A Fourefould Meditation on the Foure Last Things” — March 26, 2014
- From “The 94 Psalm” — March 12, 2014
- From “The Assault of the Sacrament of the Altar” — May 8, 2013
- "One Day I Wrote Her Name," by Edmund Spenser — Nov. 22, 2011
- Francois Villon — Sept. 28, 2011