Activists protested the sale of fur at the crowded Fashion Valley mall on the afternoon of November 26, designated “Fur Free Friday” by more than one animal-rights group.

Groups of activists passed out leaflets depicting skinned animals to shoppers outside Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales. The literature, published by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, explained how "the skin industry is a bloody nightmare for animals" and provided examples of "gruesome, cheap, and cruel" slaughtering techniques.

Naida Austin, who protested the fur trade along with three family members, said that educating people about fur is her number-one cause ever since she saw domestic-looking dogs being skinned alive in an online video.

Pictured: Naida Austin with protesters and family

Comments

MsGrant Nov. 27, 2010 @ 8:53 a.m.

I saw the video of the dog being skinned alive on the HBO documentary "I Am An Animal" - that image is indelibly ingrained in my mind. I have not bought a single item made of leather since and I have never condoned the use of fur for vanity's sake. The cruelty involved in this industry is unforgivable. Anyone who is so clueless that they would brazenly wear fur to show-off is a disgusting, vile creature worthy of only contempt.

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 27, 2010 @ 3:35 p.m.

Why woudl anyone do such a horrible thing??? Why?

That does not make sense. If I saw that I would kill the person doing it. And I mean that.

MsGrant Nov. 27, 2010 @ 3:52 p.m.

Me, too. I actually cried for hours after watching that movie. I knew it would be graphic, but that clip made me almost pass out. I won't go into detail, but the animal was still alive without its skin. It was blinking. And the guy that did it was laughing. The fur industry is horrific. Anyone who buys fur promotes death in the cruelest manner imaginable.

nan shartel Nov. 27, 2010 @ 4:27 p.m.

"that which ye have done to the least of my creatures so also have ye done to me" said GOD

sociopaths abound in our society today Puppy!!!

i saw it advertised and wouldn't watch it!!

MsGrant Nov. 27, 2010 @ 5:03 p.m.

I made myself watch it, nan. I had to see for myself what really happens to these animals. There is nothing that can prepare you for that kind of horror. If I could get my hands on these monsters I am afraid of what I would do. It is just as bad in slaughterhouses, where the workers abuse the animals in unspeakable ways. I think that the people that do this line of work would kill people if they could get away with it. They become addicted to the fear and pain they generate, because they have so little power in their lives. The average slaughterhouse employee works in horrendous conditions, many without health coverage. They take it out on the animals.

Jessica1234 Nov. 30, 2010 @ 10:51 a.m.

Oh, come on! That cruelty, those pictures of an animal skinned alive, was staged, bought and paid for! Why would anyone attempt to skin an animal, say a cow even, while it's alive? Or why would anyone attempt to pluck a chicken while it's alive? It makes no sense at all! But people have raised hundreds of millions on such cruel, disgusting videos.

I'm wearing my Ugg (fur/sheepskin) boots all the time now. And I only buy leather shoes (never plastic/pleather) and wear wool and silk and all these are from animals. And I really enjoyed the turkey at Thanksgiving, and eggs and cheese and milk, etc, etc, etc -- all this from animals. Most of us are omnivores, eating and wearing products made from both plants and animals, some from the wild and some farmed. And I know that, while there are some people who are cruel and some who can be PAID to be cruel in front of a camera (especially if they are very poor), the majority take very good care of their animals.

MsGrant Nov. 30, 2010 @ 11:38 a.m.

Jessica1234, you remind of the type of person that stubbornly denies global warming just to have a controversial opinion. You enjoy your Ugg boots.

naustin Dec. 3, 2010 @ 8:11 p.m.

I'm with you, MsGrant! Ms. "Ugg (fur/sheepskin) boots" (AKA Jessica1234) might also be in that idiotic moon-landing-conspiracy-theorists' group who believes that the moon landings were staged by NASA. LOL!!!