“Oh, and I should tell you now, I’m not going to buy any cookies,” I said in my practiced, nice-but-firm voice, the one I used when I informed my mother I would not be joining the family for Easter dinner.

“You don’t have to buy cookies,” Jane said in a bizarrely amenable way. Jane — the consummate saleswoman — always has a strategy. After another bite of curry, she said, “But you do have to Twitter about the cookies.”

I knew it was cruel, but I couldn’t keep myself from indulging in a little sisterly sadism. “Although tweeting is a real hassle,” I said, “I’m happy to do it, but it’s kinda uncool that you put me in this position.”

A look of guilt-stricken horror came over Jane’s face. But only for an instant, before she caught the glint in my eye. “Whatever,” she said.

“Freak,” I said.

“Yeah, I know. But you’re still going to tweet about it, right? I’d feel so bad if — ”

“Yes, yes, I know,” I said. “Consider it done.”

Comments

CuddleFish June 24, 2010 @ 4:46 p.m.

Why aren't you buying any cookies?

And why didn't you join your family for Easter dinner?

MsGrant June 24, 2010 @ 6:52 p.m.

Egads, CF, haven't you ever reached the point in your family life where you take a stand and say "no more, please! I want to enjoy this day with my new family!!" My mother, after we all moved away, guilted us into THOUSANDS of dollars of trips to her house for every imaginable thing. By the time I reached my thirties, I finally said no more. They can come to me. And maybe Barb no longer felt the pull of the little Easter lamb.

CuddleFish June 24, 2010 @ 9:04 p.m.

By the way, I am still waiting for my "Believe" teeshirt, and another column from Dr. Peanut. Surely, she has lots more to say on so many subjects. :)

SDaniels June 24, 2010 @ 9:37 p.m.

Update: That machine for making t-shirts is not "$33" after all. Fine print: $33 to "try it out" for a month...Real cost? Likely prohibitive. Sorry, Dr. Peanut ;(

CuddleFish June 25, 2010 @ 4:53 a.m.

Think MsG said there was a place near her where she was going to have some made.

Barbarella Fokos June 25, 2010 @ 6:01 a.m.

MsGrant, you answered that better than I could have. ;)

MsGrant June 25, 2010 @ 7:06 a.m.

It just becomes too much, especially if you come from a large family. Not to mention really, really cost prohibitive if you find yourself buying gifts for all the nieces and nephews for every holiday and birthday. And if you don't have kids of your own, well, don't even get me started!!

Now, about those T-shirts, I need to get working on that! This weekend I will go down to the shop and see what they charge.