I don’t know about the rest of the world, but I go to the beach to Boogie board, build castles, spend time with friends and family, and try not to grow skin cancer. I am a socially conscious individual. I cover my imperfections as much as possible, but I am there to have fun. I would imagine that the families who visit here feel the same and would be seriously offended if they would be required to show proof that they don’t live here in order to stay on the “No Fatties Allowed” beach.

Seriously, the board of tourism is out of their minds if they are funding something like this. If this hits the national news, nobody will come here for fear that they will be judged. That is not the reputation that San Diego wants.

Small-minded people make me sad. Kudos to the large among us who are out in the sunshine getting exercise instead of sitting on the couch in the dark house eating Cheetos.

Gayla Maypole
via email

Comments

MsGrant June 9, 2010 @ 1:03 p.m.

I heard that San Diego is hosting "The Great American Smoke-In", sponsored by Philip-Morris.

To be held at the Little Sheep Country Christian Pre-School, it's goal is to teach young children that the consumption of tobacco products can be an enjoyable experience at any age. Cocktails and beef sliders will be served. All ages welcome.

David Dodd June 9, 2010 @ 2:45 p.m.

Yes, Ms. Grant, that's next Tuesday, I believe. I wish I could attend. I've been trying to get my children to start smoking since they were young. I'm looking for tips to use on the grand children. I'm sorry I'm going to miss that, but I'll be at a conference.

Of note, the conference is sponsored by Democratic Health Care Reform Committee. We were hoping that President Obama himself might find time to attend (we wish), but we understand that the assistant manager of the Under-Secretary of Health will be sent in his stead. What will be discussed is the proposal to amend to health care bill to include a plan for a Cholesterol Offset Program (COP). Details of the proposal include a cap on cholesterol levels, whereby people that are under the level deemed as healthy by government health regulators may sell offsets to people that are over the acceptable level, with a 17% Federal Tax on the offsets. Further details of the COP program will be revealed at the conference.

For all interested in the conference, it is next Tuesday at six in the evening in the banquet room at Jack's Pork Shack (between McDonald's and Burger King) in Barrio Logan.

MsGrant June 9, 2010 @ 5:39 p.m.

You will be missed, refried, but I will be sure to obtain a copy of any instructional material provided for you. There will be a live-video link available after the Smoke-In, which I will send to you Wednesday.

Regarding the COP, due to a scheduling conflict with the Smoke-In, I will be unable to attend, but please express my support of this wonderful proposal and gather for me any information provided, which we will exchange at the Ban on Unattractive People convention next week at Viejas. Until then...

Russ Lewis June 9, 2010 @ 6:28 p.m.

And just where and how is this Ban on Unattractive People supposed to be enforced? Is it statewide or county by county? Are the "ugly police" going to arrest ugly people who are out before 10 p.m.? And how is California supposed to afford your new layer of bureaucracy? You are out of your minds if you are trying to pass something like this.

David Dodd June 9, 2010 @ 6:59 p.m.

It's a State's Rights issue, Russ. Since the Federal Government won't do anything about the ugly people in the State of California, they've left us no choice. The State of California must take things into their own hands and deal with this issue, before there are more ugly people here than non-ugly people. Believe me, it will happen, and we have the statistics to back it up. We feel that no matter who is elected Governor of California, we will have his or her support. Both seem to be fairly good-looking candidates.

MsGrant June 9, 2010 @ 7:01 p.m.

Russl, please attend the two-day conference starting Saturday. June 19th at 9:00 a.m. There will be a Q&A session after introductions to answer questions such as the ones you pose. I will tell you that the goal is to take this initiative statewide, as it is already somewhat in effect in San Diego and Southern California already. The Coaliton for Attractive People will be present to help educate attendees on the need for California to be more uniformly attractive statewide, and not just in the coastal areas.

Grasca June 10, 2010 @ 4:22 p.m.

Maybe all of the ugly people have left the country ?

SDaniels June 10, 2010 @ 11:42 p.m.

Brava and bravo! The authors of posts 1-6 need to bust a move on Mencken's gig :)

We also need a new coalition: S-DUM, "San Diegans for Unsatirical Morality"

Brief summary of our platform:

We ask for MORE moral outrage over ironical spoofing and satirical poking of our citizens, whether fat, ugly, politically dishonest, or otherwise. This is a family-friendly town of conservative values, and the Reader needs to provide the safely unironical pap we have grown accustomed to trusting we will find in our church leaflets and free weeklies. Every man, woman, and child of San Diego deserves happy, self-evident, and unambiguous language. Join our fight, and let editors know there will be consequences for the publication that does not fall in line!