Based in Encinitas and Carlsbad, Chapter 14 was founded in 2003 by singer-guitarist Chad Ackerman (As I Lay Dying, Austrian Death Machine) and bassist-guitarist Tanner Sparks. “People usually tell us that we remind them of Incubus, Deftones, and the Foo Fighters,” says Ackerman.
“Our songs have a little of everything,” adds Sparks. “I’ve always listened to a wide variety of music, and I love writing in a way that touches base with different genres in each song.”
After a few demos and tours, Chapter 14 split in 2007, with Ackerman and Sparks joining Destroy the Runner. As for the other members, Mike Catalano became a drum tech for Jordan Mancino (As I Lay Dying) and drummed for Chiodos and Destroy the Runner. Noah Slifka became lead guitarist for In Fear and Faith, while jazzy bassist Eddie Hudson played with Paper Mache.
When Destroy the Runner announced an indefinite hiatus in May 2010, Ackerman and Sparks refocused on Chapter 14, inviting their old mates back as supporting players.
“The band is mainly just Tanner and I,” says Ackerman, “but Mike Catalano is playing all of the drums on the album and live shows. For tours, Noah Slifka is doing second guitar, and Eddie Hudson is doing the bass.” A new Chapter 14 album is due later this year.
WHAT’S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER?
1) Björk, Vespertine. “I cannot live without Björk. A Björk a day keeps apathy away.”
2) U2, No Line on the Horizon. “U2 is just so good, and I’m amazed that they still put out great music at their age.”
3) IAMX, Kingdom of Welcome Addiction. “This album is untouchable, and I love the way it makes me feel.”
4) Dio, The Very Beast of Dio. “I’m a huge fan of Ronnie James Dio. When he died, I started crying. He’ll always be in heavy rotation in my music library.”
1) Refused, The Shape of Punk to Come. “Every song always gets stuck in my head. This CD is intense and surprising.”
2) Incubus, Make Yourself. “I’ve listened to this CD front to back, focusing on a different instrument each time, and it never ceases to amaze me.”
3) Slipknot, Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses). “Genius, nonstop, in your face, and heavier than anything else I’ve ever heard.”
4) Glassjaw, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence. “This whole CD is an adventure, and there’s nothing else out there like it. There’s just so much to learn from every artist in this band.”
VIDEO GAME FAVE?
Ackerman: “Warcraft III and Starcraft II [beta]. It’s like playing chess, but the pieces are alive. I love the strategy and reading people shit-talk about it online. I never got into World of Warcraft, though. That whole living online thing isn’t for me.”
Sparks: “If I had to choose one, it would probably be Halo. Does that make me a loser in the gaming world?”
WHERE DO YOU HANG OUT?
Ackerman: “The beach is always the place to find me, and Beach Grass Café in Encinitas is my favorite restaurant in the world.”
Sparks: “I’m probably most often found in Carlsbad. Every time I’m there, I seem to find some sweet, new place I want to keep going to.”
EVER WANTED TO KILL SOMEBODY?
Ackerman: “I don’t want to talk about it.”
Sparks: “I constantly have dreams about killing zombies, but I don’t know if a zombie counts as a person.”
BEST THING YOU EVER HAD TO GIVE UP?
Ackerman: “Chapter 14. Really. Before Tanner and I were in Destroy the Runner, a lot was going on with everyone at the time, and we just couldn’t commit to it. So I had to let it go. But, now that we’re back at it, it’s full-throttle time.”
Sparks: “All my clothes, computer, stereo, and CDs in my car when it was broken into. They even took my dirty underwear. Who does that?”
CRAZIEST WAY YOU’VE MADE MONEY?
Ackerman: “Chapter 14 decided to stand in front of a mall with our shirts off, dancing with a sign that said, ‘Touring Band Needs Gas Help.’ We made $90 in an hour, and one guy gave us a warm beer.”
Sparks: “Pocket lint. I was ten years old, and the other kid really wanted some lint.”
WHAT’S ON YOUR BUCKET LIST TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE?
Ackerman: “Hug a manatee. Drink whiskey with Bono. Smoke a joint with Jay-Z. Get a tattoo with Björk. Kill a zombie.”
Sparks: “Live with no regrets.”
YOUR BEST PICKUP LINE?
Ackerman: “‘Pull my finger.’”
Sparks: “‘How you doin’?”
WHAT SONG BEST DESCRIBES YOUR LIFE?
Ackerman: “I’d say ‘One,’ by U2. ‘One love, one life/ When it’s one need, in the night/ One love, we get to share it/ Leaves you baby, if you don’t care for it.”
Sparks: “I’ll have to go with ‘Semi-Charmed Life’ by Third Eye Blind. No matter what mood I’m in or what problems I run into, that song always seems to get me moving in the right direction.”
SOMETHING ABOUT YOU FEW WOULD GUESS?
Ackerman: “My dad was an Elvis impersonator for 22 years but stopped so he could support me and my brother.”
Sparks: “I’m a clean freak. Almost OCD at times.” ■