I raised the glass, sniffed at its muddy contents, and brought it to my lips, allowing barely a drop to enter my mouth. I made as if to return the glass but then hesitated and licked my lips as David watched my face. “Is that caramel I’m getting on the aftertaste?”

“Yeah, I can see that,” David answered. “I was also getting a hint of fruit. And maybe chocolate.”

This time, I took a much bigger sip and allowed the liquid to linger on my tongue. It was only after David cleared his throat that I realized I had been reluctant to return his glass. Finally, I slid it back over to him and uttered words I never thought I’d hear myself say: “I think I’ll have another beer.”

Comments

PistolPete Feb. 17, 2010 @ 10:55 a.m.

Great story Barb. Being a beer affic-drunk, I can assure you that there are some good beers out here. Personally, I prefer the German beers, biers, lagers and ales. America's Germany is located in the middle west however. I'm partial to Leinie's myself. I used to eschew the snobby foo-foo beers but have relented quite a bit and have tried many amazing beers that I never thought I would. I also prefer the thicker, darker beers that breweries are offering. While growing up, I sampled Leinenkugel's Bock a few times. The s*** was so thick, you could stick a lead pencil in it and it would not tip to the side of the glass.

My favorite dark beers include: Leinenkugel's Bock(unavailable in it's original form) Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark Oggi's Black Magic Stout Guinness

My favorite fruity beers include: Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat Blue Moon

My favorite lighter beers include: Leinenkugel's Classic Amber Miller High Life Heineken

Friends don't let friends become beer snobs. After six, they ALL taste the same...

Tttea Feb. 18, 2010 @ 12:09 p.m.

Gee, Barb...

Seems hubby may not have found the beer if the economy hadn't tanked.

You call yourself a foodie? Do you even recall how to boil that egg? Do you do it? Enjoying eating expensive or exotic foods or calling yourself a foodie doesn't make you a foodie, it makes you skinny used to be heavy girl with and appetite. You're a wanna be classy/wealthy person who is trying way too frickin hard.

Diva..

We've known about the Arrogant Bastard for a decade.. your hubby isn't hip and your column is becoming a bigger joke than it was before you lost the weight, gained the hubby and the overpriced condo, and lost all that income.

now that you don't have all the access from two years back, who are you, really??

You're supposed to be "San Diego woman tells all".

That should read "prententious immature female writer has a column"

How about have a little honest in your divaship or really, find a passion and embrace it.. if you still like to eat, call yourself an eater.

You're writing yourself into irrelevancy and you seem not to notice.

T

david Feb. 18, 2010 @ 12:52 p.m.

I've been into the good stuff since the 80's when I was brewing my own, T. And one doesn't have to know how to cook or enjoy cooking to be a foodie and appreciate good food.

I'm just sayin'...

PistolPete Feb. 18, 2010 @ 2:01 p.m.

Ouch, Tttea. I must admit that you are entitled to your opinion and at one time I thought along similar lines but Barb seems to be the type of person to sit down with a lovable loser and no account boozer like me to at least learn something new about a fine beverage like beer. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't a huge fan of Barb's when I started reading her column but she has shown that she has alot of heart for us "commoners". :-D

If anything, Barb is just guilty of being a Sandy Eggan. That CAN be remedied with a few doses of Midwestern humor and rebeliousness.

prinzeugen Feb. 18, 2010 @ 8:18 p.m.

Welcome to Beer-topia! I think beer has come a long way! Tttea who...?? I think I will have a nice Widmer Hefe to finish the night!

PistolPete Feb. 18, 2010 @ 9:16 p.m.

There's a show called How Stuff Works on Discovery right now. Tonight's episode is how beer is made. Pretty interesting. I've been a beer drinker almost 30 years and I'm learning new stuff on here.

Robert Hagen Feb. 18, 2010 @ 10:30 p.m.

Ttea:

The proof is in the pudding, and its obvious you're one of those contrarians for its own sake. Diva is an outstanding writer, so much so that more people read her than the SD Union- on any given day.

The beer thing: I drink beer in order to avoid drinking Jack Daniels. Because I'm an addictive sort, and I'll swig whatever is in front of my chops pretty much like beer. But I do love the stuff. My take on beer is that I'm going to get a fresh Take on the situation- a Tecate.

PistolPete Feb. 18, 2010 @ 11:35 p.m.

Lulz, diego! I'm off to the can and then the gas station for a pack of cowboy killers and I'll be doing so with an ice cold silo of Coors Light in my meaty palms. Haven't had a brew since Super Bowl Sunday.

David Dodd Feb. 18, 2010 @ 11:36 p.m.

"You're writing yourself into irrelevancy and you seem not to notice."

I've been thinking about this sentence all f&@!ing day, and only now have I reached the conclusion that it's the stupidest statement I've ever read. One can do much toward self-irrelevancy, but writing is not one of them unless suicide immediately follows. And even then, who can say? The most ironic part of it all is that harsh critics ensure that such an irrelevancy never occurs. Congrats, Tttea. You've made irrelevancy quite relevant.

And, you've made the "WTF comment of the week" dartboard in my brain, something to throw at while laboring over cooking dinner or while writing about f!&@tards who write before they think. Again, congrats.

SDaniels Feb. 19, 2010 @ 12:56 a.m.

re: #1: Pete, have you tried Stone Brewery brews? Tasty stuff. I like to go to the brewery and have a bowl of their cheddar soup, too--food is elsewise no good.

Oh yes, that's right. "Elsewise" isn't a word. Neither is "irrelevancy." ;)

PistolPete Feb. 19, 2010 @ 1:18 a.m.

;-D I've only tried the bottled Arrogant Bastard(fitting that the words that describe Charger fans comes from a town 25 miles away) & Stone Pale Ale. The Brewery is close to me and I have an old customer from Shell who works there. I must go to a tasting sometime. I hear it's quite the place...

PistolPete Feb. 19, 2010 @ 1:29 a.m.

I also highly recommend Lightning Brewery in Poway. After tasting the crap from Pizza Port in Carlsbad a few years ago, I kind of pooh-poohed local brews as being not worthy of a Midwest drunk like myself. Then I tasted Arrogant Bastard and SPA and I gave SoCal another chance. I found Lightning in a bottle at Bevmo shortly after discovering it one day at the Poway Brigantine.

Barbarella Fokos Feb. 19, 2010 @ 7:47 a.m.

I appreciate your thoughtful, intelligent comments. Pete, thanks for the recommendations! I'm going to a beer bar tonight, and I'm bringing your list with me. Diego, thanks for the kind words about my writing (blush). Refried, I love that you spent all day pondering this -- syntax is sexy. ;)

PistolPete Feb. 19, 2010 @ 11:13 a.m.

Barb, the Leinenkugels are going to be hard to come across in this area. Ralphs, Albertsons and Bevmo USUALLY carry the bottled Sunset Wheat and Classic Amber. Those are the usual suspects trucked in from Wisconsin. The Bock 1888 and Creamy Dark you MAY find at Bevmo in a seasonal sample pack. The Summer Shandy is a summer only beer. Depending on where you go, you'll find other companies shandies. Your best best for find any kind of Leinies is going to be The Yard house and I believe Toronado. For my birthday last year, I found a few bottles of Sunset Wheat at a nicer dive bar here in Esco. I guess the tarbender's BF found it and had her order a case.

Based on my list, I'd definetely try to sample the Blue Moon if you've never had it before. It's similar in taste to the Summer Shandy because of the hint of coriander. Be sure to get an orange slice too.

If you ever see a variation of a beer called Berghoff's, be sure to sample that as well. Berghoff's is a Chicago classic. The brewery also had a sister restaurant by the same name but it closed down years ago. The brewery remains however. It's a German beer so it's best at room temperature.

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong somewhat. http://www.berghoff.com/Berghoff/home2.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Berghoff_(restaurant) The restaurant was re-opened.

Landfish Feb. 20, 2010 @ 10:23 a.m.

one of the better articles I've read.

Also, if David likes Grey Goose Vodka tell him to buy the Kirkland brand from Costco. It's the exact same Vodka and you pay $10+ less for it.

Barbarella Fokos Feb. 20, 2010 @ 12:24 p.m.

Thanks, Landfish. Great tip! We had no idea. Now, just need to get a Costco membership. And, if we end up buying vodka in bulk, probably need to obtain a membership in AA as well. ;)

Robert Hagen Feb. 20, 2010 @ 5:57 p.m.

Vodka! What a concept! We used to drink Stolichnaya's vodka and mix it with Kool Aid when I was in high school in East San Diego. We loved it, and the best thing was, none of us had cars. There was no way we could get in trouble.

Diva, what I really like about your writing is that you're sincere, you paint a picture and you never waste a word. I try to incorporate that in what I'm up to. I've learned to incorporate that in my stuff, so you influenced me. Everyone has their own style- or at least should. And you definitely do.

As for beer, if I'm in a class joint and looking to make a good impression, I simply order a Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I'd drink it all the time but when you drink as much beer as I do, that small price differential adds up quick. Another good ale- Corona Especial with a lime wedge in it. Another one- Newcastle's, room temperature- you'll think you died and went to heaven. That would be my recommendation.

PistolPete Feb. 20, 2010 @ 9:12 p.m.

To all you Bock lovers out there, I tried a Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock tonight. Not a bad Bock. It was different from the traditional Bocks that are out there. Lighter and smoother.

bohemianopus Feb. 22, 2010 @ 8:29 a.m.

Great article! I really enjoyed reading this. BTW: TTTEA sounds like one of those Teabagger Party people. Same sense of logic.

RN_trauma903 Feb. 24, 2010 @ 5:35 p.m.

Jeff and I had a great time with you at the Fresh Dinner...and he was very happy to finish your unwanted IPA, too! Hope to see you and David again soon!