Strolling on the boardwalk through Seaport Village on the afternoon of July 15, I admired the shops along the footpath between the Midway and the convention center.

Then, something on the ground in front of me caught my eye: all over were what appeared to be black stickers about the size of address labels. Looking closer, I noticed that words were printed on them and that they were sticking to small objects on the ground -- cigarette butts!

The stickers read, “Cigarette butts are litter.” There must have been about 50 of these stickers affixed to all the cigarette butts that were strewn across the boardwalk.

Comments

PistolPete July 19, 2009 @ 11:18 p.m.

Give me an ashtray and I'll gladly refrain from littering. It's not rocket science guys...

SDaniels July 20, 2009 @ 12:31 a.m.

I carry a portable ashtray, a small foil-lined pocket from a Japanese dollar store. It extinguishes the butts, and allows one to store them relatively odor-free until a trash can comes along.

PistolPete July 20, 2009 @ 1:33 a.m.

I mostly just flick the cherry off in an area I know won't burn and throw the butt in a garbage can. Without getting into a heated debate about smokers/smoking & non-smokers,I've noticed that even in inconspicuous outdoor areas that ashtrays are few and far between. I won't say I've never tossed a butt into the street but I try my hardest not to.

rickeysays July 20, 2009 @ 2:02 a.m.

The world has no obligation to cater to your addiction, and the lack of an ashtrey, or even a trash can, does not give you license to litter. Make no mistake, littering is what it is. Smokers seem to have some double standard about cigarette butts, like they don't count. They do. They are trash, just like a gum wrapper, an empty beverage container, or any fast food paraphernalia. We all have to share the world, please don't litter.

PistolPete July 20, 2009 @ 2:08 a.m.

Without turning this into a political discussion or flamewar,go to YouTube,look up a video with George Carlin called"Earth+plastic",watch and enjoy. He is so dead on when it comes to conservation and the environment. I'm not endorsing that we burn batteries but there has to be a sense of intelligence when it comes to our eco system.

rickeysays July 20, 2009 @ 2:19 a.m.

Pete, I didn't ask you not to litter to save the planet. I just don't want to live in a trash can. Littering makes things look sh#@%y. I like driving or walking down the street without having to dodge blowing trash like tumbleweeds, or cigarette butts like landmines.

PistolPete July 20, 2009 @ 2:21 a.m.

I can respect that. Like I said though,sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm not going to carry a cigarette butt with me if I don't have to.

SDaniels July 20, 2009 @ 8:29 a.m.

rickeysays: "without having to dodge blowing trash like tumbleweeds, or cigarette butts like landmines."

Slightly hyperbolic--unless you're Tom Thumb.

rickeysays July 20, 2009 @ 10:50 a.m.

Exageration for effect. I thought you of all people would appreciate it.

jmtrudeau July 20, 2009 @ 4:47 p.m.

Everyone is worried about cigarette butts but how about making a law against placing fliers and cards on people's cars. I hate it that when ever I go to the supermarket, there are two or three fliers jammed in my windshield and I simply throw them on the ground since in my mind the person who placed it on my windshield is the one who littered and should ultimately be responsible.

magicsfive July 20, 2009 @ 4:59 p.m.

i agree jm...see blog 'things left on your car' i HATE flyers.

magicsfive July 20, 2009 @ 5 p.m.

well wait lol i don't support the throwing the flyers on the ground but i definitely understand your frustration.

Josh Board July 20, 2009 @ 5:01 p.m.

Regarding the fact that a person would have to carry a cigarette butt around...I've done that with an old cigar. I've carried around for an hour, until I find a trashcan. As rickeysays said, it's up to use to be inconvenienced, not to just decide "oh well" and chuck it anywhere. But at least pete, you sound like you're thoughtful along the process. Unlike people that just want smokers to have to stand two miles from any door entrance at a building.

and jmtrudeau, I totally agree. I did a blog about it (daily crasher) on this site, just recently. I think that if those flyers or business cards are found on the ground (at least 3 of them), authorities should be able to fine the business that put them on our windshields.

magicsfive July 20, 2009 @ 5:04 p.m.

didn't i just say that? our comments must have, as i heard someone say, "crossed in cyberspace"

David Dodd July 20, 2009 @ 5:41 p.m.

My cigarettes have no filters. While I refrain from throwing them onto the ground, in some cases where there is no ashtray and no trashcan, I can use my foot to pretty much destroy the butt. The remaining micro-mess is as harmless as dirt, and anything left biodegrades quickly.

David Dodd July 21, 2009 @ 1:16 a.m.

Josh, I don't think SD's remark is snide. It's clever. In other words, she's "minimalizing" Rickey's exaggeration. Obviously, paper flyers are much smaller than tumbleweeds and cigarette butts are no where close to land mines. Thus, the reference to hyperbole. And to Tom Thumb.

SDaniels July 21, 2009 @ 11:13 a.m.

Josh wrote: "Is SD insane? Even if she agrees with rickeysays, which I'm guessing she does on this point, she has to have a snide remark. Unbelievable."

Actually, I was just playing with rickey, who was playing with words.

Here's some snide for ya: Don't get yer panties in a wad, Josh, just because I haven't been able to email with you lately. You have no reason to be mad at me, and every reason to be grateful.

SDaniels July 21, 2009 @ 11:16 a.m.

By the way, thanks for getting my small joke, too, gringo. It's nice to be understood :)

Question for refried: "The remaining micro-mess is as harmless as dirt, and anything left biodegrades quickly."

I am always worried about nicotine pollution. What happens when that crap runs down the storm drains to the ocean? Put a cigarette end in a glass of water and watch the pretty 'smoke' curl up...

SDaniels July 21, 2009 @ 11:18 a.m.

By the by, I'm going to post a response to the Michael Jackson/race and culture debate blog, to see if it is possible to suggest something "big" that everyone can agree on--hint: about reading history. We'll see if I am up to the actual challenge.