“I feel like I’m back in 1950s America,” commented a visiting American. An amiable people, first-world atmosphere and slow pace of life combine to make Montevideo, Uruguay.

Smaller than the state of Washington, Uruguay is tucked in between the monstrously large countries of Brazil and Argentina in South America. Its capital city boasts of a moderate climate and beach and ocean views a few blocks away from the city center, with a beautifully decayed Ciudad Vieja (Old Town) zone showcasing 1800s churches, plazas and more.

Eats. No trip to Montevideo, or Uruguay for that matter, would be complete without tasting their world-renowned beef (Anthony Bourdain agrees). The best place to catch a scene and sample some delicious grub is at the Mercado del Puerto in the Old Town – Don Tiburon is a favorite venue.

Prices. For visiting Americans, the prices are very agreeable compared to home. A savory steak and a shared good bottle of wine runs you around $30 in a quality joint.

Directions. There are no direct flights to Montevideo from San Diego, but it can be reached via Miami and other major American hubs. Flights cost roughly $1,200 depending on the season.

Comments

BrianJUY July 16, 2009 @ 9:17 a.m.

We moved from San Diego to Montevideo Uruguay just a little over 2 months ago. So far it's been the best decision we've ever made.

The food is outstanding. The people are great. The city is rich with history and the countryside is amazingly beautiful.

If you want to know more about our day to day life in Montevideo Uruguay, you can check out our blog here: http://blog.exploringuruguay.com/

If you are planning a trip down, hit us up...

Peace...

-B-

magicsfive July 16, 2009 @ 9:49 a.m.

what was your reason for moving there, Brian? it sounds awesome.

magicsfive July 16, 2009 @ 9:51 a.m.

oops actually i'm sorry maybe i shouldn't pry. forgive me. i was just curious :)

BrianJUY July 16, 2009 @ 10:02 a.m.

Check out our blog: http://blog.exploringuruguay.com It has everything on there including our contact information if you want to get in contact with me directly.

Dominic DeGrazier July 24, 2009 @ 11:09 p.m.

Hey Brian,

I will definitely be following your guys' adventures via the blog - it looks great so far. Although I have had different experiences with banking in Uruguay!!:

Chau Uds. y que tengan suerte,

Dominic

BrianJUY July 25, 2009 @ 7:47 a.m.

Wow... that's crazy... Our banking experience was, and has been completely different that yours. So far the BRAU has been fantastic and a million percent easier to deal with than Wells Fargo.

I just RSS'd your blog and will be keeping up on it...

Peace,

-B-

Dominic DeGrazier July 25, 2009 @ 9:05 p.m.

BROU banking is very dependent on where you try and get things done. I realized that I made the mistake of trying to do it at bigger branch offices initially (the biggest and most central on 18 de Julio street). About three months later I heard that the office in Punta Carretas is a breeze to get things done in. I don't live close to there so I don't know though.

But then again, this is Uruguay and service is not their valuable asset!

I look forward to reading your blog as well Brian.

Chau, Dominic

cboortz Sept. 24, 2009 @ 5:20 a.m.

Brian you durned over-achiever you. We just moved back from Uy last December. I think I spent most of my time down there just bumming around looking for different stuff to eat and you're writing cookbooks. Liked your blog. We were with Hospital Britannico and loved it. Better care than we've ever had in the states.