By all appearances, local jazz singer David Patrone was beheaded on Sunday night, June 28, in Alpine. The incident occurred onstage in the Dreamcatcher Lounge at Viejas Casino at approximately 10:15 p.m., toward the end of the final night of the 11-week-long Ultimate Music Challenge competition.

During the fourth and final band performance of the evening, local classic metal tribute band Monsters of Rock was performing their last song, “The Trooper” by Iron Maiden, when Maiden’s mascot “Eddie” appeared onstage wearing military fatigues.

Soon, a man fitting the description of Patrone (who was serving as one of the contest judges) was pulled onstage. “Eddie” and a hooded executioner struggled to bring the black-suited and fedora-wearing Patrone behind a guillotine and placed his neck down into it. As the song ended, the blade dropped.

After the song, the incident was revealed to be a ruse. David Patrone, who had been sitting at the three-seat judges’ table the entire time, appeared onstage with his double, an identically dressed actor complete with bald head covered by a black fedora.

Despite their complicity in the “beheading” of one of the judges, Monsters of Rock came in second place, taking home an $8000 prize.

Comments

enoughphone July 9, 2009 @ 8:51 a.m.

Rolling the Stones will actually return to the Dreamcatcher Lounge this Sunday, July 19th, as part of the "UMC Showcase" from 6:00pm to 10:00pm. Admission is free... I think Viejas makes their money selling drinks from the bar at the back of the lounge. Oh yeah, and Monsters of Rock will also be playing that same night, too!!! And another band I don't know too well, 6one9. I'm going... it's like a San Diego treasure... free entertainment at the Dreamcatcher Lounge!

MaidenHead July 10, 2009 @ 1:34 a.m.

Speaking of Monsters of Rock. Tonight we were flipping through The Reader and saw that a band called "Monsters of Maiden" were playing at Second Wind in Santee. Lo and behold, it turned out to be the same band as in the video, Monsters of Rock, only they did only "Iron Maiden" songs. We had a fine time. Nice venue, too, not too crowded, and very comfortable. Oh yeah and "Eddie" made another appearance! (No executions this time).

edwin_decker July 11, 2009 @ 10:34 a.m.

Monsters is playing with another Ultimate Music Challenge band (Dazed and Confused) at 710 Beach Club tonight. They're both awesome bands. In fact, Dazed (a Led Zep tribute band) got eeked out by Monsters, who made it all the way to the final-finals.

DavidPatrone July 11, 2009 @ 10:05 p.m.

I would like to confirm that I was in fact beheaded. But, I got better...

jadeyez July 13, 2009 @ 9:31 a.m.

We had a great time playing with Damage Inc. at Second Wind Santee as the "Monsters of Maiden" on July 9th AND with Dazed and Confused at the 710 Beach Club on July 11th.

I'm glad to hear that David Patrone has finally recovered from his beheading several weeks ago. Ah, the rough life of rock and jazz stars we live, LOL!

Flash of MOR

MaidenHead July 13, 2009 @ 11:41 a.m.

@enoughphone: man was I confusing myself when I read your message "this Sunday". I forgot to note the date the "19th". So I went last night (07/12/09 Sunday) expecting to see RTS and MOR. When I saw one of the guitarists for Monsters in the audience, I felt sure I was in the right place and right time.

When Diamond is Forever came on, and "Neil Diamond" came out, well, as a metal-head, I felt "confused". But we enjoyed the show anyway, consuming alcohol, and noting that the costume on Neil was really sparkly. Plus the blonde backup singer was cute.

So we're going back on this Sunday, the 19th, just like you said.

original_eddie July 17, 2009 @ 9:39 p.m.

I just want to thank "Monsters Of Rock" for allowing me to play "Eddie" for them.The onetime I didn't durring the comp. one of the judges called me on it.It was great to return for the finals. The guys are an extremly talented bunch. So those that know me and those that don't. Come out to viejas on the 19th and have some fun and enjoy some great music, I know I will!