The fight rages on for Myssie McCann, the wife of Chula Vista councilmember John McCann. For the past three weeks, ever since her husband left for a yearlong deployment to Iraq, McCann has been critical of the city council's treatment of her husband. The matter compounded at an August 4 meeting when they decided to appoint an interim councilmember.

McCann fears the mayor and city councilmembers will select someone for political reasons, instead of choosing a likeminded person to fill her husband's seat. For example, someone who opposed the sales-tax increase, as her husband had.

In response, McCann announced that she plans to apply for the interim city council position.

"Yes, I'll be putting my name in," McCann says during an August 11 phone conversation in a determined tone.

"The city council should have somebody who has the same values and the same ethics as my husband. The voters didn't just elect my husband, they elected a viewpoint."

And while McCann doesn't believe she will be the council's choice, especially after she blasted councilmember Rudy Ramirez for his "blind...political ambition" at the August 4 meeting, she expects a full explanation of the council's choice, for her husband and the people of Chula Vista.

"If the shoe was on the other foot, which it never would be because none of them have the integrity to serve our country, they would want someone [to fill the council seat] with their same viewpoint. And that's what I want for my husband and for the people of Chula Vista....

"The rest of the council doesn't care about the voters. I think it's important for them to say no to my face, and it's important for the voters to see that they don't care."

McCann says it's not the council's decision to fill her husband's seat that troubles her; it's using the appointment to advance a certain political agenda.

"I think the appointment has already been made. It's a backroom deal," says McCann, who believes the council will choose Mitch Thompson, chair of the Chula Vista Planning Commission, an outspoken proponent of the sales-tax increase.

Asked whether her husband was supportive of her decision, McCann responds: "Absolutely, 100 percent."

Mitch Thompson didn't respond to this correspondent's request for comment.

Comments

Fred Williams Aug. 13, 2009 @ 5:21 a.m.

Isn't McCann the same idiot who wants Chula Vista to throw its last remaining money away on subsidies for the Chargers?

Didn't McCann just run for Assembly and lose?

I was in the Navy, and if I was going on extended deployment I'd do the honorable thing and resign for the greater good of the community. I certainly wouldn't keep it a secret and then insert my wife into the appointment of my replacement.

What was McCann doing running for the state assembly when he knew he'd be deployed? That's just wrong. For him now to hide behind the flag isn't patriotic....it's shameful.

Doesn't sound like he was ever much of a representative for Chula Vista or the Navy, (more of a right-wing zealot pro-football-lovin' knuckle-dragger than a soldier-philosopher) and his wife sounds even worse.

PistolPete Aug. 13, 2009 @ 9:31 a.m.

I'm surprised kriste isn't here spouting off....

kriste Aug. 13, 2009 @ 9:49 p.m.

that's because you're a bored little idiot with nothing better to do pp. seriously. i never said i supported him, or his politics, nor do i endorse her. what i support is what she said about the dirty tactics ramirez used to insult not just mccann, but every military member. as a military wife i find it offensive that anyone would imply that a service member would use a deployment to get out of work and take a vacation.

fred, everything i've read says he did indeed tell them he'd be leaving, and that he didn't know he was being sent away when he ran. now i do agree that he should have resigned once he knew, since i don't believe he can serve effectively from so far away AND i don't think the stress of trying would be good for him while trying to get through the deployment. i've sat home through many of these and as wives we're advised to not even tell husband's things that could stress them if they can't do anything because they don't need to worry about what they can't help. i'm also with you on the stupidity of trying to throw money at the chargers. but although i don't agree with his politics, that doesn't over ride my disgust at the implication that military would take advantage of the war to go to disneyland....

PistolPete Aug. 13, 2009 @ 10:28 p.m.

Like I said before....much ado about nothing. He's off playing G.I.Joe and now his wife wants her place in the sun. It's for her husband,right? LMAO! Yeah right. Hopefully Chula Vista has the political courage to tell her to kick stones.

Fred Williams Aug. 14, 2009 @ 12:23 a.m.

As a veteran, I know that a deployment is no fun. It's twelve on/twelve off at best.

And that's why it's unethical to attempt to retain public office while on an extended deployment. The honorable thing to do is resign. If you really care about your city, you can run again when you get back. If you did a good job, the voters will remember.

But McCann has done a horrible job. He's a shill for the Chargers. He spent the whole of last year campaigning for a republican seat in the Assembly (how much did the Spanos family donate to his campaign?).

He never once told the voters, "Oh yeah, if you elect me I can't really do the job because I'll be on deployment."

Frankly, as a veteran, I'm not at all insulted by the wise-crack about car allowances while deployed. It was just a joke, and it was connected to previous discussions about official car allowances, so in context it wasn't at all out of line.

Now I'm not at all impressed by Ms. McCann trying to throw her weight around. McCann can read this stuff online just about wherever he's stationed. He's got email. He can make his wishes known.

Instead he's using his wife as a mouthpiece. Nobody elected her to anything. In fact, if she represents as much economic stupidity and bad policy as her husband, she would be a very bad choice for Chula Vista. She complains about advancing a political agenda?

What's missing is an orderly transition. Again, if McCann had notified the city in a timely manner of his deployment, none of this would have turned so publicly ugly. If he'd done the right thing and resigned in a timely manner, he could have had a role in appointing his successor.

McCann's gone about this in a truly unprofessional manner. Now his wife is making wild accusations?

Give me a break. When you go off on deployment without getting your affairs in order, you don't deserve sympathy. You're just stupid.

Any sailor will tell you that.

PistolPete Aug. 14, 2009 @ 12:45 a.m.

I wish I had met more soldiers like you,Mr.Williams. Maybe I wouldn't be so unsympathetic towards them. ALOT has to do with my own father though.

kriste Aug. 14, 2009 @ 5:49 a.m.

the car joke didn't bother me either. it was obviously a lame attempt at humor. not funny, kind of stupid, but not all people were born to joke! the part that bothers me is the whole taking a vacation crack. now if he'd have directed his remarks at just mccann and what he thinks mccann did wrong, i don't think i'd have taken it as badly. but to make it a generic "we have to protect ourselves because all military could do this"...i found that insulting. at a time like this, i just find it skeezy as hell!

i don't even like the guy personally. in this day when teachers are being laid off and kids can't pay for college to spend so much to try to keep a stupid game in town is beyond lame to me. if i did live in chula vista, i'd have done my part to keep from him being elected from that stupidity alone!

like i said, he should have kept his remark personal. anytime you go general, you insult the vast majority of people in the group you are trying to talk about. again, i think he should resign too. not the least of which is the reason that 4 members could really hurt should there be a vote that comes to a tie...

i don't mind her running though. she's got that right and if the city wants her, they can have her. if they don't, that's fine too. like you said, if she follows her hubby's politics i think city better off without her but that's just me. since i don't live there, i really don't have much right to an opinion about that. just the nasty comments...

that said, i wish we could get a damn car allowance!

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 14, 2009 @ 10:19 a.m.

Fred-please expand on the work hours in the Navy-specifically when on deployment.

I have heard you basically work 6-7 days a week. True? Also, are the shifts 8 hours, or 10 or 12????

Last, how long are you, at the longest strectch, away from land???

kriste Aug. 14, 2009 @ 11:26 a.m.

believe the worst you hear surf. even when not deployed they sometimes work those hours, 7 days a week. for awhile while stationed in norfolk, my husband would leave before 6 and get home around midnight, seven days a week! i just wish he'd been paid by the hour...

David Dodd Aug. 14, 2009 @ 3:05 p.m.

I can't say for the Navy, but one of my sons just got back from his second tour in Iraq in the Army. The first tour, he said he was lucky to get three hours sleep and he often worked all seven days. The second tour was somewhat better for him, but he still did six day weeks minimum, 12 hours on, minimum.

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 14, 2009 @ 5:39 p.m.

Hmmm....that sounds like a brutal job.

I just wonder how people can be productive, and safe, working those types of hours. Fatigue sounds like it would cause serious safety issues-including death.

If you're only getting limited sleep-are they using any type of amphetamines????

Thanks for the respones. The military sounds like it is a pretty tough gig.

kriste Aug. 14, 2009 @ 8:44 p.m.

my husband's answer was who said anything about safe? that's why they don't get to carry guns! he was being sarcastic but i think truth is that they just try to get through it. when he comes home he's a physical and mental wreck for about a week. i guess they can get used to anything if they tell themselves it's for their families safety and will eventually end. he thinks 96 days was longest stretch of time without being off ship as well. luckily the now have email, at least when not in certain areas. i'll never forget hearing norfolk area ship bombed and waiting hours to learn it was cole. luckily, though they were in area, they didn't even hear about it! of course, that meant he didn't get my frantic emails asking if he was okay too... i may be able to do what he and they do, but god knows i'd never want to try!

kriste Aug. 14, 2009 @ 8:53 p.m.

oh forgot. no amphetamines are allowed, they have a zero tolerance policy. plus god knows you do not want a guy under influence having to do readings in the dark bowels of the ship, or in camp where they're close to the action. he says they just try to keep you busy, give you alot to do. frankly, i think i'd not be able to keep up with their demands. it's crazy!

Fred Williams Aug. 14, 2009 @ 11:35 p.m.

I served from '84 to '88, at the end of the cold war. I was first assigned to Fighter Squadron 211 at Miramar, the Fighting Checkmates. Then I was transfered to Airborne Early Warning Squadron 114, the World Famous Hawgs.

With VF-211 I deployed on the Kitty Hawk. With VAW-114 we shipped out on the Carl Vinson.

The schedule was the same for both ships. While deployed you work a 12 hour shift. Everyone worked either 7 am to 7 pm (day check) or 7 pm to 7 am (night check). Flight ops can occur at any time of day or night, and as the squadron ready room petty officer, I had to be on the jump in case we were called on to launch an alert.

On the Kitty Hawk, I slept directly under the number 3 wire. So my sleep was punctuated by heavy aircraft crash landing just over my head. On the Carl Vinson, I slept between the two forward catapults.

There is no such thing as a day off while at sea. Every day is Monday. The stresses can be enormous. Not only is the work itself sometimes arduous (because of my computer skills at the time, I had a pretty cushy job actually) and often dangerous, you also have to live under military discipline.

I'm proud to have done my enlistment. I got two letters of commendation from flag officers and was named Sailor of the Month at VAW-114.

I'd never want to do it again. Sure, the rare port visits (it's not easy to accommodate an aircraft carrier, so the options are limited) were interesting. But since I was working nights, I spent a lot of my precious free time just catching up on sleep.

I have to say that the most intelligent, fair, hard working, ethical and courageous man I ever worked for was VF-211 Master Chief Charles O. Gaylor. He could cuss with literary flair, and with mere words reduce a strapping man to tears. He was tough but very fair. He ran the squadron...the officers just flew the airplanes.

I'm sure Master Chief Gaylor is long gone now, but I'd vote for him to serve in any office in the land. Except he had such a open disgust for politicians that he'd never have run.

He'd certainly have nothing but contempt for some officer who continues trying to be a city councilman (or state assemblyman) while on deployment. There is no possible way you could be any good at your job if you're pulling a stunt like that.

When you're bad at your job as a councilman, taxes go up and the city goes through bad times. If you do a bad job at sea, sailors die. McCann needs to figure out where his duty lies.

As Master Chief Gaylor would say, "nuff said."

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 15, 2009 @ 4:47 p.m.

The deployment schedule sounds almost too hard for most to handle, I could not do 12 hour shifts 5 days a week, much less 7.

I had heard that while on delployment you did work 7 days a week. My info actually came out of an overtime case in the Sheriffs Dept, where a deputy worked as much overtime as he could get-which was unlimited- because he worked like this while in the Navy. The deputy made over $200K for the year, 3 times his regular pay. The article said he worked that way in the Navy, and just brought that work ethic to the Sheriff's Dept.

PistolPete Aug. 16, 2009 @ 3:45 a.m.

I once worked at Shell Carmel Mountain from 6am to 4pm,off for 4 hours and 8pm to 6am. What did I get for it? Regular pay because the A$$. manager didn't know what she was doing. It's ok though.....I got my $$$$. F--k over a guy from Chicago for $100 and he'll take you for $1,000. 20 hours in a 24 hour shift SHOULD have cost them around $100. Instead,their bookkeeper is still pulling out their hair. :-D "Color me once, Color me twice, Everything gonna trun out nice. Everlasting love, you gotta keep me from these false alarms Alarm, alarm I seem so sad. Ring, ring I see her I'm glad. Maybe, maybe the fire of her desire Patience, patience said the man, Patience, patience, I can't understand. Patience like a man and a wife. I got patience on my neck like a coco that. I say, Jack be nimble, Jack fall dead, Jack bend over and give Jilly head. Oh, you gotta help my body heal my soul.

Dead men working, a sinner, a saint. Mixing up a pail of paint. Painted the house, black as night, When the sun came up the house was white. Gotta go on, gotta go on, we gotta go on, you gotta go on, we gotta go on" Violent Femmes

Josh Board Aug. 16, 2009 @ 11:52 a.m.

Kriste....thanks for your husband for his service to the country.

Fred.....thank you as well.

Oh and Pete, The Femmes rule.

I'm guessing Fred would love their protest song "Mother Reagan".

PistolPete Aug. 16, 2009 @ 2:02 p.m.

LOL@ Mother Reagan. My sister turned me on to the Femmes years ago when I lived in Chicago. My GF took me to see them live a few years ago at Del Mar's 5'oclock Fridays. Most of the idiots watching them were only there to look cool and I think it got on the Femme's nerves. We saw them again the year after that and some jacka$$ jumped into the fountain and started to splash people as soon as the show was over. I think that was it for The Violent Femmes @ Del Mar. It's a shame too since the Femmes shows rock!

Josh Board Aug. 17, 2009 @ 1:32 a.m.

I've tried to see them a few times at those Del Mar things, and it's a mad house. Way too many people.

But, I saw them at House of Blues last time they were there. And they had their original drummer, as well as the guy that replaced him for about 10 years, so that was kinda cool.

I had a friend that turned me on to them in college. He was a great singer, and could always get women into bed by serenading them. One time, it was a waitress at Denny's named Robin. He went to his car, got the acoustic, and started singing Rockin' Robin, at 3:00 a.m. The entire place was singing along, too.

Well, we were singing Beatles songs to these girls (well, I was just using something like a tambourine, I can't really remember). And for some reason, he just started singing "Blister in the Sun." I had never heard the song before, but loved it immediately.

The women were digging it, but we were both too shy to start breaking into "Why can't I get just one kiss...."

Fred Williams Aug. 17, 2009 @ 10:17 p.m.

"Add it up!"

Awesome concert video, 1988, Aukland, NZ.

(sometimes, it is just something to do with luck...)

So what's the latest from McCann?

Just where is he deployed anyway?

How does he keep up with Chula Vista news?

I wonder how we got from his wife to discussing violent femmes...oh wait.

PistolPete Aug. 18, 2009 @ 2:29 a.m.

Awesome video,Fred. I'll have to add that to my favorites tomorrow.