For years, Chula Vista City Council Chambers has served as the battleground for many political wars. The latest battle continues more than a month after Deputy Mayor McCann’s deployment to Iraq.

During last Tuesday’s city council meeting, before the council voted to fill McCann’s seat through an appointment process similar to the one used for the port commissioner, residents broadsided councilmember Rudy Ramirez over comments he made about McCann after he left for Iraq.

The harshest of all the comments came during a twelve-minute diatribe from Myssie McCann, the deputy mayor’s wife. It was then that Mrs. McCann accused Ramirez of political opportunism, callousness, and an overall insensitivity towards military veterans.

“I stand before you as the spouse of a serviceman, meaning to discuss the appalling and disgusting behavior of the city council, specifically Rudy Ramirez, towards my husband’s military service,” Mrs. McCann said from the dais about comments made during the last month’s council meeting after McCann’s deployment. “Instead of honoring the military families in the City of Chula Vista, [Ramirez’] priorities are to play callous political games and try to see how, during my husbands absence, he can attack [councilmember McCann’s] military service and use those attacks for his own political gain.”

Mrs. McCann said Ramirez never contacted councilmember McCann for details regarding his deployment, but waited until after he had left to start asking questions. She also lambasted Ramirez for cracking a joke about whether McCann would still receive a car allowance (McCann opposed car allowance for council members).

“Of course [Ramirez] did this purposely, and ignored the facts. Because [Ramirez] was waiting cowardly for [councilmember McCann’s] departure to ambush [him] with false accusations.”

“[Ramirez] was looking to score political points and had the most despicable of all motivations, ruthless, blind, uncaring political ambition…”

“This is not a game, Rudy, this is real life.”

Afterwards, Ramirez commented on allegations that he was callous and insensitive towards those serving in the military and their families.

“I couldn’t sit and not react to some of the words that have been expressed. I really want [the McCann’s] to know that I recognize the sacrifice that you and your family [have made]. It pained me to think that you, or anybody, might think otherwise. I completely recognize the sacrifice and I wish you the best.”

Councilmember Ramirez did not respond to this correspondent’s request for comment.

Comments

PistolPete Aug. 7, 2009 @ 8:06 p.m.

Sounds like politics as usual in Sandy Eggo to me.

kriste Aug. 7, 2009 @ 10:35 a.m.

as a fellow wife of a serviceman, i stand with mrs. mccann's disgust at the low tactics of mr. ramirez. i find it sick that this person would take advantage of the sacrifices made by military members through time to ensure his freedom of speech to poke fun at them. and then to say he's peeved that someone would think he wasn't insulting military member's sacrifices? well i'm peeved that he would use the deployment to make nasty cracks mr. mccann isn't here to answer. news flash: he's in iraq, not barbados!

Dorian Hargrove Aug. 7, 2009 @ 6:24 p.m.

Correction: When transcribing councilmember Ramirez' quote for this story, I wrote "peeved" instead of "pained." I apologize for the mistake.

-Dorian

Visduh Aug. 9, 2009 @ 5:13 p.m.

In this Navy/Marine Corps town, you have to be really dumb to attack a service member directly or by innuendo. After her address to the council, Mrs. McCann should have made citizens arrest on Ramirez for "felony dumb." He's going to pay a big price for this gaffe.

kriste Aug. 10, 2009 @ 8 a.m.

what pains mr. ramirez is that he accidentally revealed his contempt for those willing to die to defend his right to be free. what pains him is that his attempts to tear down his political opponent were seen as the insult to the military that they were. if he were any kind of man, he'd resign with an apology for slandering the honor of those he's supposed to represent, instead he will stay and prove the kind of person he is not. you should be truly ashamed, mr. ramirez, rather than publicly contrite but i doubt you have enough moral fiber to understand difference. for shame!

Duhbya Aug. 10, 2009 @ 8:23 a.m.

So where are the alleged comments to be found? Are the transcripts available?

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 10, 2009 @ 4:35 p.m.

Well, it sounds to me like he is apologizing.

Duhbya Aug. 10, 2009 @ 4:53 p.m.

Ok. Mind if we find ascertain what for? Journalistically speaking, I mean. The story is unclear.

Dorian Hargrove Aug. 10, 2009 @ 5:57 p.m.

Sorry to leave you hanging, Duhbya.

Mrs. McCann's comments stemmed from Ramirez' comments from the July 24 city council meeting during a discussion whether they should fill the empty seat, and as the story indicates, cracked a joke about whether he would be receiving a car allowance while in Iraq.

She also said that in a subsequent story in the UT, Ramirez was reportedly looking into establishing guidelines for the deployment of city employees and was critical of councilmember McCann for not informing the city sooner of any possible deployment.

This led to the comments mentioned above. You can go to chulavistaca.gov to watch footage of McCann's Aug. 4th comments.

-Dorian

kriste Aug. 11, 2009 @ 7:36 a.m.

it's not nothing to those of us who give a damn about the military, pp. to have it implied that they'd use deployment as an excuse to get out of going to work is a slap in the face to all that have risked their lives to protect your right to say stupid things because you don't understand. you must not have served, or you'd realize the trauma the entire family goes through in preparing for a deployment. that woman has enough to deal with reassuring her kids that daddy will be okay, she shouldn't have to deal with ignorance of her plight from him or you as well!

PistolPete Aug. 11, 2009 @ 1:01 p.m.

Considering the fact that most people(like my own father)enlist in the Armed Forces for their own self gain,I don't give two s--ts what happens to these so called"heros". They're obviously too blinded by imperialism to care what happens to the families they leave behind when they march off to protect the oil fields. You're right. I have never served and I never will. Any armed forces too stupid to kick out volunteers because they may be homos,certainly wouldn't like me questioning their"authority". If were ever invaded by hostile forces,I'd be the first to grab a gun and give up my life to defend my country. I won't however be a part of the NWO's tactic of stealing oil for geo-political gain. The war on terror,like the war on drugs,has failed miserable. Maybe you,kriste,can explain why Faux News doesn't have DoHS Terror Alert Levels to scare the sheeple anymore. Could it be that there never were any boogeymen in the first place. Bow down to your flag like a good sheep,kriste. In the end,it'll be my ass saving yours from your"protects"of life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness(as long as that pusuit of happiness conforms with our morals).

kriste Aug. 11, 2009 @ 2:02 p.m.

never mind. there's no talking with someone who sticks their head up their butt and thinks it's the world that looks like crap. it's not, it's your viewpoint. you made your ignorance clear with your lame remark about kicking out homos. talking to fools only frustrates the talker and encourages the fools...

PistolPete Aug. 11, 2009 @ 3:34 p.m.

My lame remark about kicking out homos? WTF? Is it not true? My father retired from the U.S.A.R. and not the U.S.A. like he had wanted to because he's blind in one eye and deaf in one ear. How is it that he was able to retire with honors from the Reserves but not the Army itself? Kind of f--ked up if you ask me. My take on the military in Amerika is the same as Denis Leary's-You like to f--k guys? Here's a gun and a guy! Go! Go! Go! You like to f--k sheep? Here's a gun and a sheep! Go! Go! Go!

Only in Amerika,is there a double-standard on those that get the"privilege"to"serve". I just read not too long ago a story about a guy who was discharged from the Air Force because he's gay. We paid $25,000,000.00 to train this guy with our tax money and then say"Sorry. You like to f--k to guys up the ass. We can't have that in OUR military!". Get the f--k out of here with that bulls--t.

PistolPete Aug. 11, 2009 @ 3:37 p.m.

And kriste,you never gave me an answer why YOUR Faux News doesn't scare the rest of the sheeple anymore with fake Terror Alerts. I'll be waiting for your obvious Bush-indoctrinated Republ-I-can't-think-for-myself answer.

Josh Board Aug. 11, 2009 @ 4:11 p.m.

Pete, you need to explain how it cost the Air Force "$25,000,000" to train someone. I seriously doubt that figure.

rickeysays Aug. 11, 2009 @ 4:25 p.m.

Pete your comments are so scattershot I can't figure out who's side I'm on.

PistolPete Aug. 11, 2009 @ 4:27 p.m.

I've already talked about this when I first heard of it. I'm not sure if it was on one of your blogs or on a Stringers article. I'll look for it later tonight. My roommate just called. He's picking me up to go to IHOP in 10 minutes so I can't do it now. It's my understanding that this was an ace pilot that was trained for numerous years to do his job. There was something that I read online that he was accused of rape but from what I read,I wasn't buying it.

PistolPete Aug. 11, 2009 @ 4:32 p.m.

That's my personality rickeysays. I wasn't taught to think for myself. It came with doing A whole lot of reading over the years. I was born and bred to be a peace loving Democrat. I was a Republican thinker though. Over time,I educated myself. My take on life is simple:If it's not hurting anyone or anything and it makes you feel good no matter who's morals you may be offending,then do it. I have but one judge,one jury and one executioner-God!

rickeysays Aug. 11, 2009 @ 4:48 p.m.

So you're half libertarian, half conspiracy theorist?

kriste Aug. 11, 2009 @ 8:29 p.m.

"Any armed forces too stupid to kick out volunteers because they may be homos,certainly wouldn't like me questioning their"authority"." to anyone with a brain that statement means that armed forces are to stupid to kick out a person for being gay. perhaps what you meant is that they are so stupid they kick them out but i can't tell from what you wrote. what you wrote is homophobic though i will give you benefit of doubt. frankly, i agree with the idea that it's stupid to keep gays out of military. as for my being pro-bush, you couldn't be any farther off base! i'm a tree hugging ultra liberal who's so far left she can't stand up right...

PistolPete Aug. 11, 2009 @ 8:31 p.m.

I guess you could call me that. Socially,I'm liberal. Economically,I'm conservative. As for conspiracy theories,there's just one that matters to me. 9/11. Total inside job. You have the wreckage of the Trade Towers being trucked to China for recycling just moments after the final survivors were found. Only thing is,that wreckage was a crime scene. They tampered with the evidence of their mass murder.

PistolPete Aug. 11, 2009 @ 8:44 p.m.

???? Ok. I thought I made it pretty clear that the armed forces were stupid for kicking out someone just because they were gay. There's no evidence that being gay,whether open about it or closeted,is detrimental to the cohesiveness of a unit. I grew up around army guys. There were a few that my family questioned whether they were gay or socially awkward. I,myself,didn't give two s--ts who they stuck their dick into as long as they could do their job to the best of their ability.

I stick to my original comments. When my friends go off to war,to me,it's like-SEE YA! Don't get shot! They know how I feel. Nobody's putting a gun up these people's heads. Some enlist. Some don't. That's life. I refuse to feel guilty because someone's putting their life on the line so you can fill your gas guzzling Hummer.

PistolPete Aug. 11, 2009 @ 8:49 p.m.

Josh? Here's the original link I posted. http://blog.seattlepi.com/militarywire/archives/169103.asp

Read the comments. There's mention of rape and the OSI but it's from anonymous users. See if you can come to a different conclusion than I did.

SDaniels Aug. 11, 2009 @ 11:13 p.m.

Pistol hallucinated:

"My take on life is simple:If it's not hurting anyone or anything and it makes you feel good no matter who's morals you may be offending,then do it. I have but one judge,one jury and one executioner-God! [...]

In the end,it'll be my ass saving yours from your"protects"of life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness"

Let's revisit that CV:

prison for armed robbery of a Hardees hangs out with murderers believes a woman should be executed summarily and buried in the desert for vandalizing a car women are "C***s"

Yep, that should do 'er. Definitely, PistolP is out there saving our peace and happiness...

SDaniels Aug. 11, 2009 @ 11:15 p.m.

Oh, and who could forget! Right before PP offers his "list of references upon request":

likes to post "Fk N**s" on public blogs!

PistolPete Aug. 12, 2009 @ 1:37 a.m.

ROTFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(I wish I could post emoticons on here)

kriste Aug. 12, 2009 @ 8:44 a.m.

9/11 is an inside job? wow. okay, that explains alot. 9/11 was our government, the moon landing was faked, there was no holocaust and boys like you are the figments of republican lesbians to recruit more of us for their team! at least now i feel better about your idiotic opinion of the military. though i still love the remark about how they join for their own self gain. you must mean the big bucks, oh wait, they quailify for food stamps. then it's the exotic locales, oh wait, they go to desert during wartime. maybe it's the easy work conditions, or the awesome benefits, or the respect from those they'd die to protect, oh wait...

Duhbya Aug. 12, 2009 @ 10:09 a.m.

Where's Spliff when we REALLY need him?

Josh Board Aug. 12, 2009 @ 10:26 a.m.

I've noticed that...a lot of people on here have been commenting on being robbed lately. And Spliff is nowhere to be found.

COINCIDENCE?!?!!?!?!??!?!!?!?!?!

Josh Board Aug. 12, 2009 @ 10:32 a.m.

Okay, Pete...I just read that link. The fact that a Colonel is estimating that, gives it a little credibility. But I still don't buy it.

If having a pilot being properly trained in the military, costs us $25,000,000...then we're stupid to even spent the money we do on the military. And I know, it's always the Democrats that want cuts in the military. And I do understand the importance of the military and having a strong military.

But that's exactly why I realize that it doesn't cost $25,000,000 to train pilots.

It costs $25,000,000 when they crash a plane and have to parachute out. But not for their training.

PistolPete Aug. 12, 2009 @ 12:08 p.m.

$25,000,000.00 is ALOT of money for one pilot. He did say that's over 18 years though. That's about $1.5 million a year which is very likely because like I said,this guy was supposedly an ace pilot. And remember this,the Federal government bought a s--tload of toilet seats years ago for how many thousands of $$$?

PistolPete Aug. 12, 2009 @ 12:17 p.m.

kriste? Maybe in your ultra-liberal thinking,you can explain why there was molten lava found in the Trade Center rubble? Or the fact that there were explosions right before the towers fell? Or maybe you can explain why witnesses said in the days after the towers falling,that they took out the bomb sniffing dogs and there were blackouts in the towers just days before they were hit? Maybe you can explain the coincidence that the U.S. was playing war games all over the country that day. Maybe you can explain why the Pentagon(which I might add is one of the most secure buildings in the country)still has only released 5 or 6 still frames of the supposed plane barreling into it almost 8 years later when they had cameras EVERYWHERE. Maybe you can explain why the alleged landing site of the PA plane was so small with no bodies and scant wreckage,yet they found more wreckage over two miles away.

I suppose in your mind,these things don't raise ANY red flags. It's ok,kriste. You can go back to your fantasy world now. It'll be better later on when the government comes for you if you're half-asleep anyway.

Josh Board Aug. 12, 2009 @ 5:06 p.m.

Pistol...Maybe you can explain why no reporter has "broken" this story, with all these "witnesses" that you claim. Surely someone can, and make millions and win awards, writing the book. Why haven't they? It's just conspiracy people that haven't really thought it thru.

Let me ask you...how many people would be needed for this conspiracy to work? Let's say...at least 400. Right? Well, are you telling me, not ONE OF THESE 400 people is willing to tell a relative that's a journalist? Or call a newspaper, to get 15 minutes and 15 grand? Nope, wouldn't last. Someone would spill the beans.

I did love your line about the expensive toilet seats. I remember always hearing about the things the military would buy; ash trays for $800, and I'd think...I just won an ashtray at the fair by throwing a quarter into it!

Anywhooo...even over an 18 year career for a pilot, how does that equal $25 million? The fuel for the plane? The teachers of the school? The pilots salary is probably $75,000 a year. But that isn't "training" that's "salary". And the teachers are probably paid well, but they are teaching an entire class, not just one guy.

The numbers don't add up to $25 million. If it did, everyone would be talking about the spending the military wastes on pilots alone.

kriste Aug. 12, 2009 @ 5:26 p.m.

the lava was from a top secret volcano below new york the government is hiding for fear of hurting tourism. the explosions were santa's elves setting off bombs to blame the jewish people for destroying christmas. the dogs and black-outs are related, as a pit bull accidentally chewed through a wire. as military spouse i know that they are quite often playing war games, usually to cover for the fact that they are plotting to "accidentally" target a major city, which is what happened at pearl harbor. the pentagon has only released certain frames because they are waiting until 2011 to release the rest of franklin mint collector plates, to capitalize on the anniversary and fund mind control experiments on chipmunks being trained to take out enemies here at home. and as for the crash site in pa, obviously because it was a plane that had been reverse engineered from alien aircraft stored at area 51. i know this because i have secret contacts and a subscribtion to whackjob monthly! i know you read the article because the spy satellite i have circling your house tells me all you do...now go get your pop-up conspiracy book and play with yourself quietly, grown-ups are trying to talk!

PistolPete Aug. 12, 2009 @ 9:42 p.m.

Josh,I myself never said it was $25 Million. I was just simply passing it on. Watch this with an open mind and tell me you have your doubts that"terrorists"took down those towers.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7htWPF874 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS4TIYF68A

Kriste,you remind me of this lady.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1-qL6...

PistolPete Aug. 12, 2009 @ 9:49 p.m.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."

Winston Churchill

PistolPete Aug. 13, 2009 @ 9:35 a.m.

Yeah kriste. Stick around so I can double team you AND SDaniels....LMAO! I wonder why kriste hasn't commented on the Stringers article about Myssie McCann tossing her hat into the ring in Chula Vista....

kriste Aug. 13, 2009 @ 11:15 a.m.

because i don't care? if she wants to try for the position her husband should, according to the law, have waiting for him when he returns good for her! if she hopes to stack the board with people who actually represent chula vista instead of people who hold those they serve in contempt, good for her! now go write your manifesto. sdaniels, thanks! my youngest at 17 is now to old for illogical arguments and wild theories and i find i miss the fun of their silliness. he once told me there was an alien on the roof looking angry, he wasn't mad, they just look like that. i'm kind of sad getting educated knocked the goofy out of him, he had some fun ideas about reality as a tyke!

PistolPete Aug. 13, 2009 @ 1:47 p.m.

Kriste,you deserve to be represented by ****s like McCann.

kriste Aug. 13, 2009 @ 5:17 p.m.

as long as i don't deserve someone like you i'm totally fine with that. you are a bitter hateful person who judges others by his own twisted values. i'm more convinced of your lack of morals by other things you've posted here, the pride you seem to take in your sick views is disturbing. as long as a person like you finds fault in me i know i'm doing something right. you are a scary person, but a sad one, so i will just pity you instead of taking any of your ideas to heart.

PistolPete Aug. 13, 2009 @ 8 p.m.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Stop it kriste. I'm laughin' my balls off over here.

kriste Aug. 13, 2009 @ 9:10 p.m.

never mind, it would only encourage you to get more boring. bye!

PistolPete Aug. 13, 2009 @ 10:35 p.m.

I'm so glad people like you aren't in charge,kriste. You lack that political courage McCann was talking about. I'll assume you also live in Chula Vista so I'm sure you'll fit right in.