During District 2 councilmember Kevin Faulconer’s state of the district speech on April 27, he listed his accomplishments during the past three years.

One of his proudest accomplishments so far has been banning alcohol from San Diego’s beaches.

“Alcohol is prohibited along the coast of most Southern California communities, meaning San Diego’s beaches had become a magnet for troublemakers. I couldn’t fight for Mission Bay without addressing the problems alcohol was creating at our beaches and bays. This wasn’t an easy decision for me. But I knew what the right choice was.”

Though the issue was hotly contested (the proposition passed with only a 5 percent margin last November), Faulconer claims the benefits of dry beaches aren’t debatable.

He says that since the ban took effect, alcohol-related incidents have been reduced by 20 percent, calls to the police from beach communities have dropped to a five-year low, emergency response time is faster citywide because of less-alcohol related calls, and fewer taxpayer dollars have been shelled out for policing the beaches during holiday weekends.

“It was important to see what the effects would be,” said Faulconer on Monday evening. “The effects were positive and dramatic. Our beaches and bays are safer, cleaner, and more family-friendly.... Lifeguards are saving children from rip currents, not breaking up fights.”

Among Faulconer’s other accomplishments: using the revenues earned from Mission Bay Park for capital improvements at the park instead of going into the city’s general fund, and backing the passage of Prop C, a financial reform that took away auditing duties from the mayor and invited more public input on the City’s Audit Committee, which Faulconer heads.

For more on Faulconer’s speech, go to sandiego.gov/citycouncil/cd2/

Comments

ETP May 5, 2009 @ 12:10 p.m.

Too bad Faulconer doesn't represent the people who voted him into office! The vast majority of beach city residents voted against the ban. Who is he claiming victory for - people in District 1 or 4? There are many ways to compromise without taking away the liberties of 99% of responsible citizens. If safety is the issue - get more police or install cameras on the beaches, if thrash is the issue - then get more trash cans and volunteers! Where is the middle ground here? 188,000 San Diegans can't be wrong!

SurfPuppy619 May 5, 2009 @ 12:41 p.m.

By ETP 12:10 p.m.,

Mike Gotch version 2.0

These clowns never vote the way their constiuents want-only for special interests.

beermonkey June 9, 2009 @ 2:56 p.m.

I am the famous beermonkey, winner of last October's blog contest. All drunks bow to me! And all immigrant bashing right wingers like DS, who foolishly tried to debate me in the "Letters" section last month, are crushed like cucarachas!

Burwell should go live in some Muslim country where alcohol is banned. We'd all be better off. And, speaking of ban, screw the ban! I drink on the beach anyway. Double-talkers like Faulkner can't stop me! I'm the beer monkey, damn it! Ever since the ban, the cops are hardly visible at the beach; the East Coast knuckle heads stay home and play beer pong; and I get to drink my beer in peace! Yes, folks, the ice luge and kegger days may be gone; but so is my youth. Tanks for the mammeries!

Fact: the Wavehouse was the biggest contributor to the Prop D Propaganda. Stay outta there! Long live the Coaster, (I love you Darinda and Torrie.) Sandbar, Guava and Open Bar! Que Viva Cerveza! Long live beermonkey! See you at Gaslamp Tavern!

Ltizzle May 8, 2009 @ 11:47 a.m.

I cant wait to see buttons and flyers that say vote for "ASSMAN" 2010.

I will definitely vote for anyone running for public office with that name

As for Faulconer, whether hes running against an assman or a boobman, hes definitely not getting re-elected

jgorm April 30, 2009 @ 7:30 a.m.

What a load of crap! The 20% reduction in alcohol events is probably due to the 50% reduction in people going to the beach. Lets punish everyone because <1% of the people are idiots and cause trouble when they are drunk. Maybe we should ban cars because then there would be no street racing accidents.

Jamulman April 30, 2009 @ 8:17 a.m.

Wow! Down 20% in the middle of winter. That is truly amazing.

IBJenny April 30, 2009 @ 9:17 a.m.

As much as I love love love drinking on the beach, it's just a sad truth that too many douchebags and f'ing it up for the rest of us. The beach has not been an enjoyable place to spend the day at in recent years, unless you were trying to land a spot as a castmember of the next Real World installment.

And yes, there is a 50% reduction in people going to the beach - solely because they can't drink there. Now the people who go to the beach to actually enjoy it can do so without having to squeeze their family's towel and umbrella in between an old couch and an ice louge.

It's unfortunate that the irresposible and immature actions of a few have caused the entire population to be punished, but you can't deny the results.

morgino April 30, 2009 @ 10:34 a.m.

I voted for this tool for the express reason that he said he would not ban booze at the beach. Guess what he did. Next time he is up for re-election he's toast. Why don't people realize that just because a few people can't handle their freedoms correctly it is no reason to take those freedoms away from everyone else?

mr_justincarver April 30, 2009 @ 2:12 p.m.

For those of you who are upset like I am that drinking a cold beer on the beach is now illegal, there's a new kid in town that will be running against Kevin Faulconer in the fall of 2010. Samuel Assmann, a 27-year old from Crown Point. I'll be helping Sam with his campaign as we never saw this as a black/white issue. Nearly everybody we spoke to agreed that the city could've and should've made a statement by banning alcohol, but ONLY on holidays when policing it was a problem. More to come.. and PLEASE VOTE NEXT YEAR FOR SAMUEL ASSMANN. Thanks, Justin.

Punks April 30, 2009 @ 2:24 p.m.

Uh.. They forgot to mention the increase in drunk driving incidents that have occured from people leaving the beach area. People smuggle liquor instead of having a beer because it is easier to conceal but the effects are way worse on a hot sunny day. Maybe if the police would have been patrolling and giving drunk in publics to begin with and enforcing the law at the get go those guys would not have gotten so out of control. I hope those 17 people out of the 4 milion living in San Diego are holding their heads in shame. It's almost summer and i would like to have a cold one at the beach.

P.S anyone who did not live in San Diego city I.E. La Mesa or surrounding areas that use the beaches did not get the option of voting on this law. They set it up so only poeple wihtin the city of San Diego could vote even though all of us use the beaches.

Assmann4citycouncil April 30, 2009 @ 3:51 p.m.

I would like to personally reach out to everyone and let them know change is around the corner, 2010. If you read the above passage, you noticed that I will begin my grass roots campaigning for City Council- District 2 -2010 in the near future. Mr. Faulconer has yet proved again how politics and mis-education and mis-representation of the general public are directly correlated. My name is Sam Assmann (yes Assmann) a 27 year old, from Crown Point. The task is large, the agenda is burdensome and change is imminent. My campaign manager, Justin Carver (above) and myself are currently in the works of beginning what we hope to be one of the largest grass roots campaings that will come to District 2! You will soon see buttons, websites, facebook accounts, myspace, twitter, bumper stickers, shirts, pens, T's, all in the name of change for 2010 and all in the name of Sam Assmann! Your feedback is appreciated. An official announcement is slated for June.

With your support, which begins now, we can accomplish what we as San Diegans believe in. Not only will be bring back the booze, but I personally vow to listen to each and every voice and take action for what is truly right. My focus is to continue to support a portion of Mr. Faulconer's platform, not solely focus on the booze ban. This is not the only area Mr. Faulconer has failed to support voters. With that being said, your support is appreciated and you will continue to hear and see more of me.

I look forward to a successful 1.5 year campaign. The journey and fight begins now!

Regards,

Sam Assmann ASSMANN 2010!

jgorm May 1, 2009 @ 7:42 a.m.

By IB Jenny "The beach has not been an enjoyable place to spend the day at in recent years" Sorry, but IB has never been one of the nice beaches. There have been loads of bums there since as long as i can remember. Try some of the many other beaches and you'll see. I spend a lot of time at the beaches and prefer the cove area. I have never seen a single drunk there, but now there can never be another BBQ where i can enjoy a beer due to these idiots that probably never go to the beach anyway. Welcome to Socialifornia, just wait for the 12pm mandatory curfew to reduce DUIs.

Fred Williams June 11, 2009 @ 1:13 a.m.

Beermonkey ought to run for the council.

Replacing Kevin "Birdbrain" Faulkner with a higher order primate would certainly be an improvement.

SDaniels June 10, 2009 @ 12:49 a.m.

I meant Lou Dobbs clips. Those will really distract.

Well, beermonkey, you sound like a fun chap. And a good point about drinking on the beach surreptitiously. We don't look rowdy, so we get away with it, though you have to take certain precautions. No glass unless you absolutely must bring that champagne, and mastery of the low pour, inside the cooler, into your very innocent-looking flower-printed tumbler.

beermonkey June 10, 2009 @ 6:57 p.m.

Yeah, SD, just don't bring the Ann Coulter clips; that'll cause a group suicide. And don't give away any tricks of the trade about our continued habit of beach boozin'. I heard soon they're gonna be runnin' around with magic wands that can detect a cup of vodka and OJ in front of Hamel's all the way from Crystal Pier.

But you're right; we don't get caught 'cos we're pro's. And if we do want to get rowdy, we go to the Bayside where I've not seen one person who gives a damn since the Bush 1 Administration.

Ain't it a bitch? One little incident made the CNN, and people acted like the whole town was a Prohibition era speakeasy. And two years later, us sane folk are STILL gripin' about it. Makes me wanna fill up my dummy oxygen tank with ICE COLD BEER and go get drunk on the seawall! Up yours, Faulkner! You can't stop beermonkey!!

Burwell June 3, 2009 @ 5:24 p.m.

People who consume alcohol, in any quantity, are total filth. Drinking alcohol is scummy, sleazy recreation for the low income loser and non-achiever. I support the alcohol ban and believe the Police should start aggressively harassing patrons of bars and restaurants who drink. Police should be stationed outside of bars and restaurants to administer field sobriety tests to patrons as they leave. Patrons who cannot pass the test should be arrested for public intoxication. The bars and restaurants that serve alcohol should be targed by the police and patrons harassed until these establishments are forced to close.

Burwell June 3, 2009 @ 5:45 p.m.

In the 1960s the Police had the Boardwalk firmly under control, and ruled it with an iron fist. Every weekend a San Diego Transit Bus would be dispatched to Pacific Beach. The police would form teams and walk up and down the Boardwalk beating and clubbing undesirables, who would be cuffed, arrested, and hauled off to jail in the city bus. Many were charged with fictitious crimes and prosecuted merely to remove them from the area. Sometimes the police filled as many as 5 buses with arrestees in a single day. The arrestees were warned not to return to the Boardwalk, ever, or the police would arrest them again and beat them senseless.

David Dodd June 3, 2009 @ 5:48 p.m.

"People who consume alcohol, in any quantity, are total filth."

Wow. That would include anyone taking communion. Care to rephrase that, Burwell, or should we just turn over tax dollars to the Amish in order to enforce your ludicrous proposal?

SDaniels June 4, 2009 @ 8:19 p.m.

Apparently, Burwell has a "beating" and "clubbing" fetish, and no one has ever offered him a glass of Chateau Margaux. More for us low-income non-achievers! A la votre, sucker!

Burwell June 5, 2009 @ 6:18 p.m.

I wouldn't flush out the radiator in my car with Chateau Margaux, whatever that is.

David Dodd June 5, 2009 @ 10:44 p.m.

Château Margaux will never make it to your radiator, Burwell. Unless, perhaps, you have thousands of dollars to spare. Thomas Jefferson thought it to be so exceptional as to include it amongst his top four wines of all time.

And, in return, I'll not be drinking any ethylene glycol any time soon.

magicsfive June 7, 2009 @ 8:20 p.m.

hey sd and refried...i was about to treat myself to a light vodka and cranberry after my 12 hour $28/hr shift at the local psych hospital....whew...join me?

David Dodd June 7, 2009 @ 8:40 p.m.

Are you really going to be here this month, magics? I would be honored to have a cocktail with you, and SD and Josh and lallaw and whomever. Maybe we can do the Gaslamp? I think you guys are awesome, I'd love to toast you. Although I do prefer scotch to vodka ;)

magicsfive June 7, 2009 @ 9:08 p.m.

yes sir i am. I will be there from the 22nd til the 26th. and yes i want to see you all. Gaslamp sounds fabulous...oh i can't wait to see my beloved san diego again!! omg what a blog this will make :) And you drink whatever you want refried...as long as you enjoy it my friend ;) xoxo

David Dodd June 7, 2009 @ 10:29 p.m.

We're on, hun. I expect SD, lallaws, Josh, etc. I like The Field, but I'll defer to the tastes of others, I'm not picky ;)

magicsfive June 7, 2009 @ 11:15 p.m.

omg...so excited.....you pick the place, i'll be happy! xoxoxoxo

SDaniels June 8, 2009 @ 4:34 p.m.

If a really good year (of the Margaux, not the tire company) made it to Burwell's radiator, I'd still drink it. However, I'd probably soon find myself staring down the barrel of a shotgun, or at a compensatorily thick wooden bat. Some get kicks from spirits, some just kick with too much spirit.

Oh, hey you two--hrrummph, plotting on your own. Yes, I'm happy to meet anywhere. Live near the Gaslamp, so that's fine.

David Dodd June 8, 2009 @ 4:41 p.m.

It wouldn't be a good plot without you, SD.

I mention the Gaslamp for a few reasons. I love it there. The energy, the atmosphere, and how easy it is for me to get there. I gave up driving cars a while back, so anything close to the trolley is outstanding. But I'm open to any suggestions. Keep in mind, we have to make it easy for Josh to crash the party ;)

magicsfive June 8, 2009 @ 5:58 p.m.

lol for sure. i'm thinking possibly tuesday the 23rd. anyone heard from lallaw??

SDaniels June 8, 2009 @ 8:14 p.m.

I'll pencil in for the 23rd tentatively, and write l. and Josh to advise-- and I'm sure we can pick you up anywhere, rg. Are you going to be able to do this sans passport?

David Dodd June 8, 2009 @ 8:42 p.m.

SD, I'll be there. Even if I have to torch a hole in the fence. All of the King's horses and all of the King's men can't keep me away ;)

SDaniels June 8, 2009 @ 9:37 p.m.

Well, just say the word, and Humpty Dumpty and I'll be there with flashlight, shovel and Rush Limbaugh sound clips to distract those pesky minutemen.

magicsfive June 8, 2009 @ 10:12 p.m.

lmao omg you guys i love it...josh, lallaw, and ms g if she wants...i'll be sure to wear something megadeth so u recognize me ;)

SDaniels June 12, 2009 @ 10:44 p.m.

Well, beermonkey, I have other tricks up my sleeve, but you are right--I will refrain from sharing further tips here, and put an immediate hold on the publishing of my Savvy Beach Drinker's Guide.

Magic Wands? Sounds like an excellent way to spend a few tax dollars. Sheez--for real?

Fred, I think SpliffAdamz, who shares no evolutionary DNA with primates of any order, might be interested in the job. Then at least we then might legally smoke a spliff and enjoy a cold one come green flash time.

Aldous92107 June 13, 2009 @ 5:58 p.m.

The booze ban is BS!!!!!!!!!!!

Residents should be allowed to drink just ban the tourists..... not like they spend any money at the beach they just steal my parking, start fights, and drink too much.

I want permit parking and a fee to all residents east of I-5 for use of the beach...Double for zonies

I would be very interested to see how many fighting arrests at the beach were residents...few to none I bet

The only good part in the bible is when everybody had to go back to the cities of their birth...sounds like a good idea to me.

beermonkey June 19, 2009 @ 5:22 p.m.

Sorry for the furlough, but I've been busy PARTYING MY BUTT OFF in celebration of the Laker championship. As for running for council, I don't think I can beat Sam Assmann. He's got more than a leg up on me, not to mention my vote. And yes, SD, magic friggin' wands. My description was hyperbolic, but the fundamentals are true. I think they already started a similar program up in Del Mar or somewhere. If anyone out there knows, pray tell.

Aldous echoes a friend of mine's sentiments. She suggests a city issued license to drink available to anyone who can prove they were born in So Cal. (I think she means born in San Diego County, but expanded the geographical boundaries for my benefit so as not to offend.) I couldn't agree more with Aldous. We pay the taxes, support the businesses and keep the watchful eye on our towns. Too bad the proposal would reek havoc on those trying to enforce it (the drinking part, that is; the parking enforcement would be easy). It is fair and just and does not allow for the rich to privatize the commons, but rather the locals to reap the benefits of citizenship. Too bad most of City Council's in the pockets of the big out of town developers, otherwise we could bring this idea up in front of them.

One last solid point: the locals are already home; so when they drink, they don't have to drive home. Ahh, but logic like that falls on deaf ears when dealing with birdbrains.

Aldous, which biblical Book is that from? I must confess: I was born in LA.