Beer garden at City Brewery, circa 1870s. In 1868, the same year Austrian brew-master Christian Doblier established San Diego’s first brewery in Spring Valley (Chollas Valley Brewery), City Brewery opened on the northwest corner of Fifth and B streets, downtown.
Philip Wedel, City Brewery’s Prussian owner, was granted U.S. citizenship in 1873. Friends threw a party for him — at his brewery! This photo may have been taken on that occasion. (Source: Suds ’n Stuff article by David Williams, July–August 1992) To order this photo please contact the San Diego Historical Society at [email protected]