I remembered the moment I’d snatched the bauble from the floor of my sister’s minivan, where my niece had discarded it with temporary disinterest. “She didn’t really want it,” I said. David sighed in resignation and returned to his desk. Once he was out of earshot, I exhaled with relief, grateful that he hadn’t noticed The Faeryland Companion — the comprehensive guide to winged creatures I’d picked up to give to Bella for her birthday this weekend but decided, after situating it on the bookshelf in my office, that it belonged right where it was, nestled behind the small ceramic bunny statues.

Comments

jim87vette Nov. 26, 2008 @ 12:29 p.m.

Well for your sake and Bella's buy two items now and you will both enjoy them equally.But something tells me you will probably enjoy them more,nothing wrong with that lol.

shizzyfinn Nov. 26, 2008 @ 12:49 p.m.

Keep on playin', Barbarella, keep on playin'. I don't think anybody lays on the deathbed and says, "Man, I wish I would have put the toys away a little sooner." (OK, maybe Michael Jackson, but he's an outlier.)

I think Blink said it best in What's My Age Again, in response to the refrain of boring grown-ups everywhere, "act your age": "With many years ahead to fall in line...why would you wish that on me?"

Mimosa27 Nov. 27, 2008 @ 10:08 a.m.

I love The Little Mermaid!!!!! I know the entire movie by heart. I even have my copy of the VHS when it was first released, you know the one with the questionable cover that was later redone. If you ever want to have a Little Mermaid sing along, I'm game!

pete78 Nov. 27, 2008 @ 2:40 p.m.

I believe you are referring to the cover with the penis in the castle. Good times.

Barbarella Fokos Nov. 30, 2008 @ 4:38 p.m.

Jim, you have a good point... I often think I deserve to keep the toys because my appreciation for them is greater. ;)

Barbarella Fokos Nov. 30, 2008 @ 4:40 p.m.

Shizzy, you speaketh the truth. If "acting my age" means suppressing a noise of delight when the occasion calls for one (which for me, is fairly often), then I never will. Thank you for sharing the great quote!

Barbarella Fokos Nov. 30, 2008 @ 4:41 p.m.

Mimosa, I am always down for a Little Mermaid singalong. I wonder if they'll ever replace the Sound of Music singalong at the Ken with this shorter, lighter movie. Hmmm.

Barbarella Fokos Nov. 30, 2008 @ 4:41 p.m.

Pete, my sister kept our original cover. And that totally was a penis, the artist admitted to drawing it before getting fired. Good times indeed. ;)

Russ Lewis Nov. 30, 2008 @ 5:32 p.m.

Could this be what you two are talking about? (For mature audiences only.)

Barbarella Fokos Nov. 30, 2008 @ 6:06 p.m.

Yes, Russ! Thanks for the imagery, it's so vividly golden. ;)

Mimosa27 Dec. 1, 2008 @ 3:35 p.m.

That is the one! Ooo! I like your idea of having it at the Ken, but in the meantime having it in the living room serves just as well.

MLynn Dec. 3, 2008 @ 10:18 a.m.

Oh My god Barb! Did you really play D&D, or were the little metal men a gift? Love to read your stuff, and who doesn't like furry little things. MLynn

Barbarella Fokos Dec. 3, 2008 @ 10:57 a.m.

Haha, MLynn! So you recognized those little statues in the video, hm? I didn't play, but I DID hand paint each of those, and I must say, I'm fairly proud of my work. Thanks for reading!