The day after Jenny’s wedding, the entire family, including a horde of relatives from Brooklyn, Jersey, and Staten Island, congregated at Mom’s for a celebratory bash. Children squealed and splashed in the pool while most of the adults guzzled wine, beer, or daiquiris while discussing everything from who should be the next president to whether or not Uncle Jimmy needs Botox for his 50th birthday. Heather and Sean, Jane and Simon, Jenny and Brad, David and I shared stories and laughter with the rest of the family. When I noticed each couple had at some point stepped away from the crowd to have a moment to themselves, it occurred to me that despite the differences with which we had each handled our marriages, my sisters and I had all, quite similarly, fallen in love with men who, as far as we can tell, were specifically designed to make us happy.

Comments

bohemianopus Aug. 1, 2008 @ 7:34 a.m.

What a delightful slice of life!

Yours is ALWAYS the first column I read in the Reader every week. The entertaining glimpse into your world makes Thursdays (the day the Reader hits the newsstands) special.

The Uncle Jimmy needing Botox comment knocked me off my chair!

Your description of the wedding has brought back memories of how we Italians celebrate (anything) in such a unique and wonderful way.

Pat

Barbarella Fokos Aug. 1, 2008 @ 12:03 p.m.

Thank you, Pat, what a nice comment! And thank you for reading each week, it makes it more fun for me to write when I know people are actually reading my words. ;)

Barbarella Fokos Aug. 6, 2008 @ 7:16 a.m.

SDdancer, I'm not a parent, but I believe I speak for mine when I say I couldn't agree more -- all parents want (most of them) is for their children to be healthy and happy. In that regard, my parents have been fortunate in getting what they wanted. And I am delighted to know that you enjoy my stories! :)

SDdancer Aug. 5, 2008 @ 6:22 p.m.

Great article again! Usually your article is the only one I read as the articles always bring a smile to my face. I loved the pix, comments about each sister's wedding, and the father/daughter dance! My favorite part was imaging how wonderful it would be as a parent to have each child married to a wonderful man. It looks like a great time was had by all. Keep up the great work (which seems to get better each year).

snackycakes420 Aug. 6, 2008 @ 4:03 p.m.

Awww, I had my wedding at the Island Palms too. Congratulations to Jenny & Brad!

jgreene Aug. 6, 2008 @ 11:16 p.m.

The William D. Evans is not a steamship. If it were truly steam-driven, it would be a steamboat. Having worked on tourist boats in this area for 20 years, I'd bet money that the Evans is diesel-powered.

That factual discrepancy aside, I enjoyed the comparison among the different approaches to weddings. I've officiated at quite a few over the years, and the variety is truly amazing.

Barbarella Fokos Aug. 7, 2008 @ 10:45 a.m.

Thank you for the clarification, jgreene. I just checked, and you are indeed correct, the William D. Evans has "twin 400-horsepower, turbo-charged diesel engines [that] provide more than those steam-powered giants could ever dream of producing," according to one description. I had assumed the word "steamship" also described the style of the boat, even if it wasn't powered by steam.

Thank you for reading, and for your informative and thoughtful comment! Best, Barbarella