The rest of my drink was flavorless. No matter how many times my posse repeated their sound advice to “get over it,” my brain would not cooperate. In my head, I chided myself for responding fast and furiously, rather than taking a moment to collect myself and leaving a phone message. Perhaps a less-crazed phone message. I ran into Ame and her husband, Lloyd, in the theater. After greeting them, I was horrified to hear myself blather the same confession in person with which I had, minutes earlier, attacked her phone. After I’d given Ame and Lloyd a bigger glimpse of my insanity than they needed to see, I returned to my seat, defeated, wishing I had taken one of those little yellow pills.

Comments

jim87vette Jan. 30, 2008 @ 4:27 p.m.

Quite the powerful pill lol.They should have a warning "May cause delayed anxiety"!I think this has happend to me as well but I'm not real sure about it lol.The music kind of had the tempo that may have put your mind in even more of a relaxed state.The tango is so sensual and passionate wish I could do it.Well I loved your story about the night you don't remember.

Barbarella Fokos Jan. 31, 2008 @ 2:52 p.m.

Thank you, Jim! That's why video is so great -- it helps us recapture those details lost. ;)

pete69 Feb. 1, 2008 @ 4:24 p.m.

Barb - Souhds like you have a prescription for the date rape drug... Try Ambien. You will cook food while you sleep and enhance your culinary skills. I'm sure David would appreciate this.

Barbarella Fokos Feb. 2, 2008 @ 9:40 a.m.

That's an interesting suggestion, Mr. or Ms. Obvious. But I can't help but think if I were to do something as extravagant as that, I'd want to remember it. What I'm thinking, is hold on to the other one of those pills I have and wait until my next root canal. You know, the stuff you actually want to forget. ;)

theobvious Feb. 1, 2008 @ 11:12 p.m.

stoop-id. You should pop a little yellow one and hop into the jim-n-pete sandwich that is so obviously awaiting you!

SD Feb. 21, 2008 @ 1:03 a.m.

Hi Barb,

A delayed response (hmmff)--. Thank you so much for reporting on Ativan! Ironically, I discovered a similar effect the same week you reported it. It is disconcerting to think that we have researched the effects of prescriptions upon our bodies and minds, only to be tripped up by an overlooked effect.

My bottle of Ativan does not include a warning about amnesiac effects. The website does.

This is an extremely valuable observation for all of us who take mood stabilizers for mild or moderate anxiety, as they say.

For the reader commenting on the "date rape" effect, it is not possible with Ativan, as far as I know--and very happy to report. You are perfectly clear on what you are doing at the moment, such as making appointments and dates--it is the usual, sober next day, and beyond where the black hole gapes.

All I can suggest is that if you tend toward anxiety, and also happen to love your wine or cocktail evening out, don't take your Ativan (or "Lorezepam") that day.

Day before seems ok. Klonopin or "Clonazepam," taken for anxiety also not a good mix, as it can intensify the effects of alcohol, but Ativan seems to be the culprit for amnesia!

Makes your innocent night of 'nosh and quaff' feel next day as though you are a drunk in the last stages.

Not cool. Thanks again, Barb. I'm sure your artist understood, and brava for being honest about it.

Suzanne