Heather, Jane, and Mom greeted David with open arms. They fussed over the unnecessary gift of Brachetto and mentioned again that he should keep the champagne, that he would enjoy it most of all. There was an unmistakable and familiar enthusiasm in my mother’s tone when she said, “If you ever want something, baby, you just take it, what’s mine is yours, after all, you’re family!” Heather was just as earnest when she consoled, “Don’t worry, we all take stuff from here, especially when it’s something you just know is going to go to waste.”

As I sat and watched my mother and sisters, it occurred to me that I had never seen them so natural and relaxed around David. I had sensed this might happen. That before my family could ever truly embrace my man as one of their own, they would have to be convinced that he was just like them — flawed. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d been so proud.

Comments

bohemianopus Dec. 11, 2008 @ 11:13 a.m.

"...as if I’d just declared my regret for not voting for the old guy and Caribou Barbie."

I don't know how you keep coming up with this stuff, but don't quit! I had to wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing so hard!

The holidays with my relatives usually involved a perp walk or two before they were all over.

sigh

Pat

Barbarella Fokos Dec. 12, 2008 @ 8:08 a.m.

Thank you, Pat! I have to admit, "Caribou Barbie" was David's idea. I wanted to write the "Ditz," but David's suggestion was funnier and less bitchy. Gotta give my man props, especially after I wrote the very story he asked me not to. ;)

pete78 Dec. 12, 2008 @ 1:49 p.m.

I'm missing some very expensive stereo equipment. Can you please tell me David's whereabouts on December 9th between the hours of 11:00am and 5:00pm?

Barbarella Fokos Dec. 12, 2008 @ 5:41 p.m.

Gee, I don't know, Pete. He wasn't with me. ;) On a serious note, if you know how to do that, it's funny you mention "very expensive stereo equipment" in relation to David, because prior to transitioning into a full-time fine-art photographer (www.davidfokos.net), my man designed high-end audio equipment. Harrison Ford and the band 'N Sync were among his customers.

pete78 Dec. 13, 2008 @ 3:09 p.m.

Nice! So he used to work for Justin Timberlake and Indiana Jones? So how did you end up getting into writing Barb?

Barbarella Fokos Dec. 14, 2008 @ 9:35 a.m.

Oh, Indiana's a cutie, isn't he? David didn't "work for" them, they just bought his custom designed speakers. I got into writing at age 8, when I first tried translating my thoughts to the page in the form of a diary. Guess I never stopped trying, so here we are, at my most recent attempt. ;)

Cee Dec. 15, 2008 @ 3:42 p.m.

I loved this article! Especially when you wrote:

"... our Thanksgiving dinners comprised overcooked turkey, potato flakes from a box, corn from a can, and Pillsbury crescent rolls, each of which was enjoyed with zeal, the level of which David couldn’t possibly understand."

Oh how I identified with that! I'm a mom also with culinary deficit dysfunction and its so refreshing read about other mothers like me and seeing how their children still love them - even though they write about them for the world to know!

Barbarella Fokos Dec. 15, 2008 @ 4:03 p.m.

I wouldn't trade my mom or her potatoes-from-a-box for all the culinary wonders of the world, and she knows it. I can't cook to save my life. In my family, domesticity belongs to the boys. ;) I'm happy you enjoyed the story, and thank you for commenting!

NotQuiteADiva Dec. 15, 2008 @ 9:21 p.m.

As a long-time Diva reader, I must say, at first I was skeptical of David. The whole leaf in a box thing just seemed too good to be true… Yet, time after time David has demonstrated the quality of his character. So, just let me say this – if you ever take that boy for granted, someone needs to smack you upside the head – not once, not twice, but three times!!! David is surely a rare treasure the likes of which I will probably never see. So… you need to pull your bootie out of the dumps and cherish that boy!

Barbarella Fokos Dec. 15, 2008 @ 11:03 p.m.

Haha! Thank you, NQaD, both for being a regular reader, and such a staunch supporter of David. I'd deserve more than three smacks upside the head if I were ever to take him for granted. I still have that leaf, in its box, sitting right here on the bookshelf behind me. Not a day goes by that I don't marvel at the fact of my fortune for being so loved by someone I so cherish.