I'm jumping ahead, but I really can't help myself.

The new engine, transmission and rear end are in the car. It's a hopped up 250 ci 6 cylinder out of an early 70's Chevy pickup.. The transmission is an automatic with overdrive from an '89 Camaro. The rear end is from a 4x4 Chevy S10.

My friend Mario is doing all the work, he is one if the best metal men that I know. His homemade, tapered lowering blocks are in the rear of the car. It's lowered 4", exactly where I wanted it... The top of the wide white is at the line of the fender.

Here are a couple of pictures...

Image

Image

Image

What has been done so far: - 216 ci engine, 3 speed transmission and torque tube rear end removed (for sale if you are interested). - 250 L6 fitted, motor mounts made. - Engine mated to 700r4 transmission, New transmission crossmember fabricated and installed. - S10 rear end cleaned up and installed, custom 4" lowering blocks fabricated and installed. New rear shocks. - Coil springs cut in the front. New shocks installed. Low profile bumpstops installed. - Stock 3 speed column shifter adapted to the automatic transmission. - Driveshaft ends cut off and mated to a new tube by Driveline Specialties. - Several thousand trips have been made to the parts store.

I can't wait! - Joe

Comments

CuddleFish Nov. 28, 2009 @ 9:44 a.m.

Several thousand trips have been made to the parts store.

LOL! Glad it's going well, Joe. :) Thanks for the update!

Joe Poutous Nov. 28, 2009 @ 1:08 p.m.

You are welcome CuddleFish. 2 more trips to Car Quest today!

• Joe

FullFlavorPike Nov. 28, 2009 @ 1:24 p.m.

Nice pats match--is it a 700r4 and a GM 10 bolt rear end hooked up to that six-cylinder?

Joe Poutous Nov. 28, 2009 @ 1:58 p.m.

It's a 700r4 hooked to a 4x4 S10 rear end. The stock rear is 60" wide, the one in the car now is 59"... and the same bolt pattern as the stock wheels.

• Joe

Shadowbox Dec. 1, 2009 @ 3:44 a.m.

Coming together nicely. Good work.

Was watching a rerun of Gearz on SpeedTV the other morning and they found a '71 L6 still in the crate from the factory (complete with original paperwork) and did a refurb/build up on it. Looked good with new paint, shiny bits and 3 Webers on it. Immediately thought of your blog/car and your appreciation for 6 bangers.

Joe Poutous Dec. 1, 2009 @ 6:40 a.m.

The episode was called "Vintage Hot Rod Straight 6"... as soon as I read your post I went looking for it on the Internet. It's not available on Speedtv.com's program player (damnit).

I'll have to find it somewhere, I'd like to see it.

thanks Shadowbox. - Joe

Shadowbox Dec. 2, 2009 @ 3:13 a.m.

@ #7 - It's a good little segment of the show. I typically only watch Gearz when nothing else is on but glad I ran across this one, nice to see something other than the typical V8 EFI stuff. Glad to pass it along, hope you enjoyed it.

@ #8 - I propose that Pete modify his name to Pistol Pete, King of All Things YouTube. I am amazed at the stuff he is able to find.

Joe Poutous Dec. 10, 2009 @ 6:02 p.m.

It's home in my garage, waiting for me to wire it!

• Joe

captiandad2013 Sept. 28, 2013 @ 4:24 p.m.

do u still have the 216 for sale if so please call me. my num is 310-294-7183 ask for mario