With marmalade swirled salmon colored leaves clinging to grey branches against the cobalt sky and grass rendered florescent by winter rains come early, there isn’t another place in the continental US I’d rather be at Christmas time.

In a t-shirt and sandals and with my giant red reusable Naughty-or-Nice bag flung over my shoulder, I shopped during the off hours at seaside boutiques hedged by blooming bushes looking for not much of anything in particular because I had done most of my shopping online.

I didn’t miss vying for parking spots with nasty holiday shoppers who hunkered behind the wheels of SUVs and oversized diesel trucks bedecked with reindeer antlers stuck to the side windows and jingling wreaths strapped to the front bumpers. Nor did I miss the wind chill factor of subzero climates or the trudging through the slush mess in stiff layers of thermal wear AT ALL.

Image

I’ve done my years in the Arctic barricaded behind insulated walls buried beneath piles of snow. Well, alright, I’m fibbing. I’ve not been to the Arctic and although I’d love to see Polar Bears in the wild, I have not the least bit of interest in placing my born to be bare feet on the encircled ice cap.

Vermont is cold, damp and grey, and the winters last most of the year. Deep into my 16th winter I counted 15 days of overcast skies and temperatures below zero. That’s when the planning began. While Nordic skiing through a snow tipped pine forest beneath a full moon, I began dreaming and once those dreams emerged from my subconscious, they never ceased. Until the spring thaw came, I hiked the muffled mountain in layers of wool and down while all the while envisioning a kaleidoscope of color, linen light as air, and breezes, balmy and fragrant. I envisioned clear skies, blue as far as the eye could see, and a lazy rolling sea.

Image

First go, I made it as far as Maryland, which for the record was the first place I have lived since I was two where I could be on the beach in my bikini on my birthday (which happens to fall somewhere in the 11th month). Where there were actually four distinct seasons. Autumn is generally lovely and long along the Chesapeake. Folks described the winters as mild, comparatively speaking. I figured they’d be nothing to Up North. What I didn’t know when I moved there, however, was that the windshield coming off the frozen Bay come February can frost the marrow in your bones.

Nope. Pretty as a white Christmas is, I know exactly why it is I’m here, hiking on Christmas day in shorts amidst the scents of wild fennel, thyme, rosemary and sage through avenues of eucalyptus, the gently falling foliage reflecting in the still pond. After all, high in the bows of the now bare oak groves swayed massive balls of mistletoe and holly bushes, like poinsettias, grow in the hedgerows. Why kill a tree to bring the best of the season inside when here, in southern California, it lives in the native landscape? Granted, the holiday fauna grows alongside hibiscus and fan palms but you won’t hear me complaining.

Image

I may still don a long red scarf and pop into an authentic Old World Pub for a stiff Irish coffee while working down my gift list, but it’s no longer to take the “edge” off chilled bones. That which once was a chore has become downright festive. My grandmother, she’d be glad to know, was right; there IS hope for me after all.

Comments

Ruth Newell Dec. 31, 2011 @ 8:22 a.m.

Nan, you may pine for it all but I'm good with the memories. Still aiming for the tropics. And, Qp, I will have you know I thought of your "ho, ho, ho" comment while writing this.

nan shartel Dec. 31, 2011 @ 12:33 p.m.

wrap me up in Polar fleece and set me out like a snow lady in the snow...i'll crunch carrot noses and rhapsodize about the multitudinous and varied shapes of snowflakes whirling down around me

i'm silly that way...hahahahahahahahahaha.....

my goodness...it just really being Autumn here now!!!

winter is a good thing Ms Roody...it has a poetic silence that is imperturbable...

Ruth Newell Dec. 31, 2011 @ 4:54 p.m.

I guess that's why I like it here--cause it never really does get much colder than the mildest of lingering autumns. I fully fess--I'm a total wuss poetic silence aside. Just can't handle feeling cold anymore. Trust me, when it was dipping here a few weeks back I had started to frown and wonder what the hey.

nan shartel Jan. 1, 2012 @ 3:56 a.m.

BUY POLAR FLEECE...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

richzombie Dec. 31, 2011 @ 5:18 p.m.

this is a great read ...and i have lived in new hampshire and choose to visit in september or october . happy new year

Ruth Newell Dec. 31, 2011 @ 8:52 p.m.

I'm glad you liked it. And you are braver than I to return when the weather's already turned.

The happiest of years to you, too, RZ.

nan shartel Jan. 1, 2012 @ 3:58 a.m.

i have to admit it's been quite beautiful here the last few days

Ruth Newell Jan. 1, 2012 @ 9:23 a.m.

Indeed, it has. And if you could see how much black polar fleece is in my closet you'd be laughing even harder. I even have polar fleece socks!

nan shartel Jan. 2, 2012 @ 2:06 p.m.

hahahahahahahaha....i was born in SD and have only lived on the left coast where winter isn't as treacherous...my son Mike lives in NY and say "mom u have no idea how different the gentle northwest winters r from the right coast ones"

so i'll revise my winter comments to be "gentle fluffy snows only:

Ruth Newell Jan. 2, 2012 @ 2:13 p.m.

He's so right. So, revisions accepted. Only fluffy snows.

quillpena Jan. 1, 2012 @ 2:44 p.m.

Nice piece, Roody. Sure, Northeast winters look charming and wonderful on postcards and calenders, but they're really no different than a Thomas Kinkade painting: tiresome and miserable. When I was about 12, my mom asked me, "Have you ever thought about how lucky we are to not only have been born in the United States of America, but in San Diego, California?" She still brings this fact up when the thought strikes her.

Ruth Newell Jan. 1, 2012 @ 3:50 p.m.

Thanks QP and I agree--they make for beautiful postcards:) And mom's do that.

fad444 Jan. 1, 2012 @ 10:48 p.m.

Happy to see that you are enjoying our beautiful weather in San Diego, the east coast winters can be brutal. enjoyed your article.

Ruth Newell Jan. 22, 2012 @ 6:57 p.m.

I'm glad to please, Fad. And thanks for sharing the sunshine!