I just want to voice my disgust for the behavior of the woman in front of me at the 7/11 on Euclid and Division on Thursday.

Early in the afternoon in military uniform I went into 7/11 to purchase a cup of coffee. The store was extremely busy and only one employee was working at the time. Shortly after I got in line a soda vender came in to distribute several cases of two liter bottles. From what I could understand the order was incorrect, however there wasn’t the staff to support reviewing the shipment. A verbal argument started between the vendor and the employee, which was when I took notice shabby looking barefoot woman standing two people in front of me in line. She also saw me.

As the poor cashier tried to remedy the error and still tend to the customers in the line that was growing quickly, the woman in front of me began to slip candybars into her pockets. I counted seven bars during the argument. When it was her turn in line she loudly distracted the employee by pointing behind the counter and asking how much things cost. That was when she started taking energy pills and other items from on top of the counter. If I had to guess I would say it was more than 10 packs of pills. The woman then paid for her $0.79 fountain soda with nickels and pennies, including the ones she took from the “take a penny” bin. After her transaction was finished she stayed at the counter asking for a money from everyone that walked in, still pocketing another 4 bars.

When I deploy for months at a time and leave my family to go to the middle east and fight it is not for your freedom to steal candy bars and energy pills. Taking those items while you know I am looking is a slap in the face to myself and my fellow servicemen. You should be thankful that I have too much pride for my uniform to start an altercation.

Now, I’m certainly not trying to diminish the working class struggle in the current economy by any means. I am certianly not white collar, upper class, or even live in a neighborhood with a high cost of living. That being said, however, stealing caffeine and chocolate is not the same as a loaf of bread to feed your family. My disgust stems on how petty and unnecessary this theft is, and how harassing it is for you to shotgun every patron by asking for money. You, maam are a discredit to your race and gender, plus you are an embarrassment to your country. Have a little intergrity.

Comments

chuckwalla Sept. 8, 2010 @ 4:56 p.m.

Let me get this straight. You are standing there in uniform watching this lady do this and YOU say or do nothing ? I would have called her a thief and told her to put the stuff back or I'm calling the cops. For you to just stand there and observe and do nothing makes you a coward and an accessory to the theft.

Lets get another thing straight. You are not overseas fighting for peoples freedoms to steal candy bars. You are over there because you chose to be over there. I personally think we should not be over there. However I do respect the fact that you believe strongly enough in the cause that you enlisted and are following your convictions. Just don't ask me to call you a hero fighting for our freedoms. You are merely a political pawn.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 8, 2010 @ 6:17 p.m.

I am surprised SOMEONE didn't say something. I think I would have told the dirtbag to put the items back, but I would have NOT called the cops-but make no mistake, I would have called her out n the stealing.

This could be your home she steals from next time.......

rylshlbk1 Sept. 9, 2010 @ 12:13 p.m.

By chuckwalla 4:56 p.m., Sep 8, 2010 > Report it

and you chuckwalla are a political pawn as well then, how dare you speak to one of our troops in such a way. You are nothing but a political pawn of the left.

Eileen - I would of called the thief out as well as I have had in the past, dont be skerd :) ...(BMC)

Founder Sept. 10, 2010 @ 8:36 a.m.

• Eileen meets Felon -

We each now get to make our own decisions, I see that as the greatest of our Freedoms

and

It is so easy to tell others what to do especially after the fact, by me and you

but

I feel sorry for you, because that barefooted Women you watched, also stole something very valuable from you...

nan shartel Sept. 11, 2010 @ 9:36 a.m.

she was probably a mental case...and u SHOULD have told the clerk

Robert Johnston Sept. 11, 2010 @ 4:16 p.m.

Next time, Eileen...SPEAK OUT!

If you had called the theft-in-progress to the attention of store personnel, I feel that this story might well have had a different ending.

When I worked for Target of Escondido, we had a policy of "zero tolerance for shoplifters." If a customer (or one of us employees) noticed a "five-fingered discount" in progress, we told the door guard, who notified Assets Protection.

I had to do this once, when I caught a young man in our Men's Room opening a tin of Pokemon cards, taking them out of the wrappers, and pocketing the cards. The Assets Protection head and I did the takedown outside of the Restroom area.

We found out later that he had been put up to it by some older boys from his school. We turned him over to his daddy, and I carried on with the rest of "The Plan For Today."

Every time we have a shoplifting incident, be it a store guest or employee, it cost our store far more than money. To make up for such costs, we had to raise some prices. The worst shit for employee pilferage was the Overnight shift, btw.

To sum it up: five-fingered discounts are not a "victimless crime." It's theft, pure and simple. You folks pay for it in higher prices, the stores pay for it in lower revenue, and the employees pay for it when HQ directs the store to lay off a few employees because of shrinking revenue!

Oh, and as the son of a Vietnam vet (U.S. Navy Hospial Corps), and the widower of a ODS/Grenada vet (U.S. Army Medical Corps), I appreciate your service to our nation, Eileen.

Thank you. --LPR

Radical Uterus Sept. 11, 2010 @ 6:51 p.m.

"she was probably a mental case...and u SHOULD have told the clerk" nan

Speaking from the perspective of a mental case, perhaps if the soldier had intervened, the mental case might have gotten help.