Ken Harrison 3:35 p.m., June 25
Solar Eclipse and Kite Flying Party
A partial solar eclipse will be visible from San Diego on Sunday, May 20 from 5:27 to 7:43 p.m.
Though over three-quarters of the evening sun will be obscured by the moon at the 6:39 peak, unprotected viewing of any solar eclipse can cause permanent eye damage in just seconds.
As such, local artist Bobbi Koller is throwing an eclipse party from 3 p.m. ‘til sunset at Mission Bay Park, where you can show up early to fly a kite (BYOK) and stick around to watch the astronomical affair with a pair of bona fide solar viewing glasses ($2 from Koller).
More like this:
- Kite Wars and Puffed Rice Brittle (Chikki) Recipe — Feb. 20, 2013
- Thee Electric Ballroom: rock and roll and art at El Dorado — Nov. 20, 2012
- Total Lunar Eclipse Tonight — Dec. 20, 2010
- October 27th's total lunar eclipse is perfectly timed for San Diego observers. — Oct. 21, 2004
- A spectacular total lunar eclipse graces the evening sky on January 20, 2000. — Jan. 13, 2000