Susan Luzzaro 6:30 p.m., July 31
Solar Eclipse and Kite Flying Party
A partial solar eclipse will be visible from San Diego on Sunday, May 20 from 5:27 to 7:43 p.m.
Though over three-quarters of the evening sun will be obscured by the moon at the 6:39 peak, unprotected viewing of any solar eclipse can cause permanent eye damage in just seconds.
As such, local artist Bobbi Koller is throwing an eclipse party from 3 p.m. ‘til sunset at Mission Bay Park, where you can show up early to fly a kite (BYOK) and stick around to watch the astronomical affair with a pair of bona fide solar viewing glasses ($2 from Koller).
More like this:
- Coastral: Ocean Bound EP — Oct. 4, 2013
- Moon Block Party: JJUUJJUU, Blackfeet Braves, Wild Wild Wets, and Barbarian. — April 30, 2013
- Thee Electric Ballroom: rock and roll and art at El Dorado — Nov. 20, 2012
- Hunt & Gather Celebrates Three Years of Vintage Rarities — May 2, 2012
- October 27th's total lunar eclipse is perfectly timed for San Diego observers. — Oct. 21, 2004