Various Authors 4:06 p.m., July 26
The Olympic Trials are coming to San Diego next weekend. Many people don’t realize that San Diego is the birth place of the triathlon.
In 1974, the San Diego Track Club decided to change up their training session and added a swim and a bike ride to their run at Mission Bay. In September of that year they organized a race that used the word triathlon for the first time.
Now, the Olympic Trials for the triathlon are coming home. The women’s elite race will be on Friday May 11th at 3 pm. There is one spot left on the women’s Olympic team.
The men’s race will be on Saturday May 12th at 2:30 pm. All three of the men’s spot on the team are open. In order to qualify, a US athlete must place in at least the top nine of the international field.
Saturday morning offers an opportunity for amateurs to experience the Olympic atmosphere with a sprint triathlon and an Olympic distance relay triathlon.
The event will be broadcast online at UniversalSports.com.
The official race website is http://sandiego.triathlon.org/
More like this:
- Mitt Romney signs on as San Diego-Tijuana Olympics consultant — May 1, 2013
- San Diego Cyclists at Nationals — Oct. 1, 2012
- Weekend: Girls on Skates or Arts & Crafts? — May 10, 2012
- San Diego's First International Surf Film Festival at Bird's Surf Shed — April 20, 2012
- Tour de California — Feb. 9, 2006