Julie Stalmer 6:30 p.m., July 23
'Stonewall Riot' Lecture Part of PRIDE Week
The San Diego Alliance for Marriage Equality (SAME) will host “Rediscovering Stonewall,” a presentation on the 1969 Stonewall Riots of New York. As part of PRIDE week celebrations in the LGBT community, speaker Kelsey Hoffman will explore the lasting effects of an early-morning raid on the Stonewall Inn. Reactions to an anti-homosexual sting at the Greenwich Village gay bar marked the beginnings of a backlash against government restrictions aimed at sexual minorities.
SAME continues to fight policies they perceive as repressive to the gay community. Last August, nine members of the group were arrested as the result of a sit-in conducted at the County Clerk’s office. The group was attempting to obtain marriage licenses for two same-sex couples, in spite of a federal stay on the state Supreme Court’s overruling of the Proposition 8 ban on gay marriage days earlier.
“It comes down to a fight sometimes, without standing up for who you are, you lose a part of yourself,” said Sean Bohac, a SAME member and one of the nine arrested. He and the others face jail time in an upcoming trial.
The presentation will be given tonight from 6:30 to 8:30 at Canvass for a Cause at 3705 10th Avenue in Hillcrest.
More like this:
- Trial Begins For 8 Arrested in Protest for Same Sex Marriage Rights — April 30, 2012
- LGBT Activists Announce Valentine's Day Protests — Feb. 14, 2012
- Judges Say Gay Stay Still in Play in CA for Today — Feb. 7, 2012
- Gay Rights Group Signs On with Occupy Movement — Oct. 7, 2011
- Gay-Marriage Proponents to Court — June 27, 2011