Matt Potter 11:51 a.m., Sept. 20
Moistrix: Atmospheric States - Aerial Experimentation
Last night at Suture Gallery’s East Village loft, multimedia artist Moistrix curated Atmospheric States, an altered reality of clear tarpaulin and balloon mollusks gyrating amid Wind Spirit’s self-transforming geometric projections.
A plastic wormhole attached to a fan wiggled from the back of the dance floor, where heads bobbed to local beatmaker eLan.
Check out his new Alligator Snaps EP, which is due to drop on Modeselektor's label, Monkeytown Records, on the 19th.
Local duo Illuminauts tapped out live electronic beatgaze soundscapes as a bubble machine blew vigorously from the dance floor.
The event also featured the music of Poolkid, The D.A. (El Paso), and Freddy Cougar (Keith Milgaten). Atmospheric States is the second in Moistrix’s series of interactive art exhibits, which are actually better described as walk-in party installations.
Moistrix held his first event, Kaleidoscopic Bricolage, in March.
"The goal is to allow people to create and interact in new mediums," says Moistrix. "Instead of standing around gawking at the art, be part of the art."
More like this:
- Music is Art: an audio/visual collaboration between local beat label and an Amsterdam art gallery — June 6, 2013
- Slug & Tug: art/music of Tijuana and Mexicali in Normal Heights — Dec. 28, 2012
- Blue Balls in Mexicali — Nov. 15, 2012
- Kill Quanti's DJ Pound / eLan 10" Split Vinyl Release — Feb. 1, 2012
- My Dirty Drum Habits' Dark, Live Beats — Aug. 4, 2011