Dorian Hargrove 3:30 p.m., July 31
Five Free Friday Fiestas
Free Friday night party plans, you say?
First of all, the http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/jam-session/2011/jul/29/retox-return-to-the-yard/">Retox show at The Yard has been cancelled (the Facebook event was listed without them being asked to play). Gloomsday and Hauksness will be playing instead at Bar Eleven with Barrio Tiger and Dead Engines. Freefreefree.
For those of you sporting the dancey pants, I recommend the ever-grooving Moonshake night at Kadan. Tonight’s “adventure into future disco, spacey house, and techey grooves” features resident DJs Dr. Indulgent, Bob Dazzla, Mark E Quark, and special guest TK Disco. Freebird.
World reggae trio Todo Mundo create dance parties everywhere they go, and I’m certain that tonight’s gig at The Turquoise (873 Turquoise Street) will be no different. Have a cocktail, submit to the throes of dance, and fall in love to a soundtrack of Buena Vista Social Club covers and originals by frontman Santiago Orozco. Free-man.
Not unlike the pickle and peanut butter sandwich, Tower Bar’s newish monthly Hip Hop vs. Punk Rock night mashes together two unlikely ingredients for an oddly enticing outcome. Tonight, Chinese Rocks hold down the punk end with members of local old school legends the Zeros and StuntDouble while Tenshun (featuring Zillagod) hips yer hops. DJ support from Mr.Henshaw and Cesh. Free-kout.
Prefer straight-ahead punk? Head to the Shakedown Bar to celebrate Strangely Strange’s album release with a skate demo, The Experiments, and Far From Frequency. $2 wells and domestic drafts ‘til 8. Malt liquor tall cans all night. Entry: free ninety-nine.
At left: Bar Eleven
More like this:
- Tijuana: Moonshake returns to La Sexta at La Mi-Ja de La Mezcalera — Jan. 27, 2013
- Five (Really Good) Reasons to Get Out of the House Tonight — Sept. 15, 2011
- Indie Label Panel at San Diego Music Thing and Three One G Showcase — Sept. 9, 2011
- Tonight! California Bleeding (Makeout Weird), NguzuNguzu (Liquid Geometry), and Todo Mundo — Aug. 18, 2011
- It Must be Friday: Free Drinks, Psychedelic Rock, Bouncy House, and Drum and Bass — Aug. 12, 2011