Matt Potter 4:30 p.m., May 2
I wonder if the editors at the U-T tell Pulitzer-winning cartoonist Steve Breen what to draw. Or maybe he only gets his news from the U-T. Or maybe he's just a perfect fit for their paper.
Whatever the situation, his cartoon from last Friday just seemed awfully cozy with the picture the paper has been painting.
It's an interesting presentation; Sanders, trying in vain to reach out and cooperate with the grumpy Aguirre, who's having none of it.
This came the day after Voice of San Diego, in their coverage of Sanders' gay marriage decision, quoted Aguirre as saying:
"It really shows that when Jerry does what's in his heart, he's a good person. He really has the right instincts," Aguirre said. "When he personally gets involved, he makes the right decisions. When he listens to political advisers, he makes wrong decisions."Aguirre's complimentary perspective, of course, was absent in the U-T's coverage of Sanders' decision.
More like this:
- Defective U-T editorial cartoon could help Alvarez — Feb. 10, 2014
- Appeals Court Reinstates Kelley Suit Against U-T — July 20, 2011
- Kelley Stresses Breen's Purported Amnesia in New Motion — Nov. 23, 2009
- Memory -- er, uh -- Lapses at the Union-Tribune — Oct. 28, 2009
- 2005 A Year In Review — Jan. 5, 2006