Garrett Harris 4 p.m., July 31
Priest murdered in Ensenada during robbery
Home of Catholic priest was looted during homicide, authorities say
Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, parish priest of the María Auxiliadora Church in Ensenada, was found dead in his home on Monday, July 22. According to local authorities, the priest suffered multiple wounds to the chest.
Investigators stated on Tuesday, July 23, that the home of the priest was looted. A vehicle was also stolen. The home where the priest lived was located on the church property. Authorities have stated that the church has been victim to multiple thefts in recent months.
Cortez Alvarez, who many called “”Padre Nachito”, was 56 years old.
More like this:
- Suspect in murder of Ensenada priest apprehended in Tijuana — Aug. 7, 2013
- Sporadic Ensenada violence shocking community — Oct. 1, 2012
- Baja & Border News Translations: Criminal Charges against Mayor; 12 Killed in 48 Hours — Sept. 18, 2012
- U.S. Fraudster Caught in San Felipe to be Extradited — May 30, 2012
- “Hallelujah!” “Hey, keep it down!” — March 18, 2009