Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., July 29
Priest murdered in Ensenada during robbery
Home of Catholic priest was looted during homicide, authorities say
Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, parish priest of the María Auxiliadora Church in Ensenada, was found dead in his home on Monday, July 22. According to local authorities, the priest suffered multiple wounds to the chest.
Investigators stated on Tuesday, July 23, that the home of the priest was looted. A vehicle was also stolen. The home where the priest lived was located on the church property. Authorities have stated that the church has been victim to multiple thefts in recent months.
Cortez Alvarez, who many called “”Padre Nachito”, was 56 years old.
More like this:
- Suspect in murder of Ensenada priest apprehended in Tijuana — Aug. 7, 2013
- Baja authorities searching for missing 11 year old girl — May 23, 2013
- No homicides in month of February for Ensenada, first without since 2005 — March 3, 2013
- Multiple suspects arrested in Ensenada woman’s murder — Oct. 21, 2012
- Sporadic Ensenada violence shocking community — Oct. 1, 2012