Kimberly Blough 6:28 p.m., March 9
Saldana says Filner's actions not illegal
Says she saw far worse conduct when on Assembly's ethics committee
Channel 10 is reporting this evening (July 17) that former Democratic assemblywoman Lori Saldana says that while Mayor Bob Filner's actions with women are questionable, they are not illegal, and he should not resign. "So far, the attorneys have not met the burden of proof of criminal wrongdoing," she told Channel 10. When she sat on the Assembly's ethics committee, she heard more damaging information about her peers, she said.
She said that two years ago she reported to the head of San Diego County's Democrats that she had heard stories of Filner mistreating women. However, "Until an employee is willing to come forward, these attorneys are drumming up a lot of anger, a lot of emotion, but they're not presenting the evidence that would be needed for either a civil or criminal conviction," she told Channel 10.
The whole episode brings up an excellent point: why would Marco Gonzalez, who does not have experience in dealing with sexual harassment cases, offer his services to women in such cases? This is simply bad practice for a lawyer -- rather like a podiatrist taking a whirl at open heart surgery.
More like this:
- Why Filner should file a defamation case — July 22, 2013
- Rally to recall Filner fizzles — July 19, 2013
- Filner case is falling apart at the seams — July 18, 2013
- Federal Election Commission Cites "Problems" with Filner 2012 Campaign Committee Disclosures — May 22, 2012
- Sanders Aide, Judges, and Kehoe Join For "Political Bootcamp" — Sept. 15, 2011