Walter Mencken 9:23 a.m., Oct. 10
UCSD nation's top school, says magazine
Three UC schools are in the top five
The magazine Washington Monthly revealed today (Aug. 26) said that the University of California San Diego is the nation's top institution of higher learning. UC-Riverside and UC-Berkeley are also in the top five.
The criteria are schools' performance in recruiting and graduating low-income students, conducting cutting-edge research and producing PhDs, and encouraging students to perform public service. These are similar to President Barack Obama's plan to rate colleges on performance.
Others in the top five are Texas A&M and Case Western Reserve. The University of Florida is number one in "best bang for the buck."
More like this:
- EcoNauts rejoice — Aug. 11, 2015
- SD's for-profit colleges devour GI Bill bucks — June 29, 2014
- UCSD ranks 4th in return on investment for public universities — Dec. 28, 2012
- San Marcos H.S. Rated 11th in Country by Magazine — May 8, 2012
- UC President Picks Pockets of Californians — July 29, 2011