Kimberly Blough 6:28 p.m., March 9
Attorney and founding member of Run Women Run, Sarah Boot, announces run for District 2 council seat
Boot filed papers with the City Clerk on August 31.
The race for the soon-to-be empty District 2 council seat just got a bit more crowded. Sarah Boot has officially entered the race, filing a statement of organization with the City Clerk's Office.
Boot has long been rumored to be running for the seat which includes communities Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach and Point Loma. Boot is an Assistant U.S. Attorney and over the past several years and is a founding member of the progressive non-profit Run Women Run, whose mission is to "bring rationality and accountability back to government by identifying, mentoring and supporting the election of progressive, pro-choice women to state and local government in San Diego County."
The first-time candidate will go up against conservative councilmember Lorie Zapf who is forced to switch council districts as a result of redistricting.
In order to compete the Assistant U.S. Attorney will need to be a quick learner when it comes to fundraising. As reported here, Zapf has already collected tens of thousands of dollars in contributions. According to a July 30 disclosure, Zapf raked in $130,000 since the beginning of the year, much of which from large developers.
There's no sign that fundraising will be slowing down anytime soon for Zapf, who, as reported yesterday by Matt Potter, received $50,000 from the San Diego County Republican Party after the party funneled contributions from a federal campaign committee to their state committee.
Former lifeguard and current spokesperson for the lifeguard union, Ed Harris, also filed papers with the City Clerk but then later decided to bow out of the race.
More like this:
- Libertarian Mark Schwartz joins District 2 council race — Dec. 3, 2013
- Councilmember Lorie Zapf collects $130k in six months nearly $36k from fundraisers hosted by Sudberry Properties — July 30, 2013
- Spokesperson for San Diego's Lifeguard Union files run for District 2 council seat — July 8, 2013
- Former school board member Mitz Lee officially announces run for District 6 council seat — June 5, 2013
- Councilmember Lorie Zapf announces run for District 2 seat — May 14, 2013