• News Ticker alerts

One of the rumors making the Twitter circles today (Aug. 9) is that Homeland Security has caught a person or persons eavesdropping on the mayor's office with a directional microphone from a room at the Westgate Hotel.

I could not reach anybody at Homeland Security and have no idea if this is a canard. It is worth reporting the rumor, however, because the current super-charged environment makes the rumor credible.

According to unconfirmed reports, the spy or spies listened in on conversations of Lee Burdick, Filner's chief of staff, who has been busy talking with Jan Goldsmith, city attorney who hates Filner, and should actually disqualify himself from this matter given the intense, open rivalry between the two, and Goldsmith's own history of snapping under mental pressure.

The office of the sheriff, the attorney general, U.S. Attorney and city attorney are all reportedly involved or considering involvement in the attempt to oust the mayor, who has hired a criminal attorney, allegedly to handle inquiries by the U.S. Attorney's office.

The last two holdout city councilmembers, Marti Emerald and Myrtle Cole, are now calling for Filner to resign.

Two things are increasingly certain: Filner can't survive this pressure, and probably nobody could. And once things settle down, it will make one helluva good movie.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

aardvark Aug. 9, 2013 @ 10:47 p.m.

Really? That is pretty over-the-top, even for this soap opera.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 6:50 a.m.

aardvark: It is a rumor going around Twitter. I labeled it as a rumor. I ran it because it seems credible in this environment. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:04 a.m.

Don: I'm not "calling you out"--it just that this seems even more bizarre than usual. Next thing you know, satellites will have been taken over to follow Filner's every move. Unless they already have. (Insert theme from "The Twilight Zone" here)

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:25 a.m.

aardvark: Expect the bizarre in this mob mentality. If Homeland Security did nail somebody snooping, I doubt if it would admit it. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 10, 2013 @ 12:04 a.m.

Interesting. If there is anything to it, no doubt we shall see in the fulness of time. The thing about rumors is, hard to locate the origin.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 6:55 a.m.

Yankeedoodle: Again, I can't vouch for the veracity of the rumor, but its quasi-verisimilitude in this environment qualifies it to be mentioned as long as it is labeled a rumor. It could be a canard. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 6:21 p.m.

Why don't you report a rumor that Todd Gloria will run for U.S. Senate in the next election? That Microsoft will buy Disney? That animals have been found on Mars? This is a blog, so it doesn't matter if it's nonsense.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:38 p.m.

Dwbat: Are you tying to tell me that animals have not been found on Mars? Obviously, you have not read John Carter of Mars. Like, what is your problem, man?.

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:17 p.m.

I DID hear there were dogs on our tiny ex-planet Pluto! Why do you think it got the name?

Yankeedoodle Aug. 11, 2013 @ 3:37 p.m.

dwbat: Pluto got its name from the Underworld of Earth, where dogs originate. Earth is the only planet with dogs. That's why Mickey Mouse, who lived on Mars, had to come to Earth to get a pet. I have 25 people willing to talk with kpbs about their first-hand experience with the animals of Mars, which pretty much proves it.

ImJustABill Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:20 p.m.

Don't be silly. Animals prefer Venus to Mars.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 11, 2013 @ 11:55 a.m.

The animals on Venus were imported from Mars.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 6:43 a.m.

dwbat: There are no credible rumors of animals on Mars. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 12, 2013 @ 12:28 p.m.

Don: How can you say that in light of the 25 witnesses ready to come forward?

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 7:57 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: And every one of those witnesses is a shareholder in a company sponsoring trips to Mars. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Aug. 10, 2013 @ 12:32 a.m.

No one could blame Filner for quitting. But unless he just can't pull himself together to face this stuff, I see no advantage in resignation, especially if he's guilty of something. Because the Mayor's office is what these accusers want, and therefore is his best bargaining chip.

Just because he very likely might lose this battle, doesn't mean he shouldn't fight. I believe law enforcement in this county has broken the law fighting Filner. The Sheriff's hotline shocks me. I can't recall a lawsuit ever treated this way. No one even pretends to be impartial. Goldsmith seems to be going cuckoo, attacking Filner from the co defendant position of the city, seeming to conspire with plaintiff. We must fight these people, they won't stop after destroying Filner. They'll use the same tactics again.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:01 a.m.

Psycholizard: This is what bothers me. Will any Democrat except a DINO (Democrat in Name Only) try to be mayor or, say, city attorney? Mike Aguirre was destroyed through similar tactics when he tried to rein in corporate welfare as city attorney. Now Filner is being destroyed, and the big money is boasting how it will spend heavily for a recall. Anyone who expects self-professed capitalists to act like capitalists -- e.g. give up their taxpayer-supported welfare -- is going to get smeared. Best, Don Bauder

KLoEditor Aug. 12, 2013 @ 5:37 a.m.

If I could agree with your post a million times over, I would.

This is not an attack on Bob Filner, this is a war against the people of San Diego.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 7:59 p.m.

KLoEditor: An attack against the taxpayers of San Diego. Best, Don Bauder

patflannery Aug. 10, 2013 @ 2:28 a.m.

Psycholizard: I agree.

And Don, you don't think Filner can survive this pressure? I think he can. I have no doubt that he sees this, as I and many others do, as a challenge to democracy itself.

Bob Filner can earn himself a place in American history by standing alone against the undemocratic forces that would replace "presumed innocent" with "presumed guilty".

I think he will stand and I think he will win.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:04 a.m.

Pat: Filner has nobody standing behind except a few journalists who believe in due process, and who realize this is dirtier than dirty politics as usual. It looks to me as if Burdick and Ekard are working with Filner's enemies. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:39 a.m.

Oh thanks, Don, that's a cheery thought. What about American optimism?

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:27 a.m.

Yankeedoodle: Anybody believing in American optimism better stay indoors. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:08 p.m.

Don: It is when I am indoors that I lose heart. If I had done that this morning, I would not have seen the 4-foot mola mola at 50' off La Jolla! That is where one can recharge the Optimism Batteries. Now, before the Nitrogen wears off, I am in complete agreement with Pat that Filner can smite the transgressors.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:10 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: He would be triumphing over his own party, the Republican party, 4 branches of government, two senators in his own party, a twisted mainstream media with the exception of the Reader, and if you can believe the U-T (never a good idea) more than 70% of San Diegans. Talk about David and Goliath! Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 11, 2013 @ 3:47 p.m.

Don: You have a point. Odd that people outside our city should get involved.

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:19 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: San Diego is a significant market for Feinstein and her husband (Mr. and Mrs. Clean), and Boxer. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:28 p.m.

But the local party does virtually nothing for Boxer in election year.

patflannery Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:20 a.m.

Don, that is very unfair on both Lee and Ekard, particularly on Lee who has shown enormous personal courage in this.

"Filner's enemies" as you call them are concentrating their fire on her as they know that Bob will never buckle to the bullies who started all this viz. Donna, Marco and Cory. Bob knows who his real enemies are and that the Republicans are merely using the free stick that was handed to them.

Yes, this is nastier than anything I have ever encountered in my lifetime of observing politics and I am under no illusions as to where it is coming from.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:29 a.m.

Pat: The old saw tells the tale: follow the money. Best, Don Bauder

patflannery Aug. 10, 2013 @ 11:17 a.m.

Don: Are you saying Lee and Ekard can be bought off with money? That they will sell Filner out?

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:12 a.m.

patflannery: I say to keep your eyes and ears open. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:27 a.m.

Pat I have been very concerned about BurdicK and eckart. Burdicks past at the Port Authority and BP Conservation board raise major flags for me. I would not be shocked by this at all. Filners big flaw has been his naivite. He should have never hired anyone w/ Jacksons background, Burdicks or Eckarts. they have shill written all over them. But he has to fight. He just has to stop hiring these people. He needs to hire from outside SD and for the love of god give them a lie detector test,

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:15 a.m.

historymatters: What bothers me about Ekard is his past as a corporate welfare booster. I don't like Burdick spending so much time with Goldsmith, who has a personal axe to grind in this matter and should disqualify himself...but of course won't. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:53 p.m.

I agree Pat. Filner is a FIGHTER! whe he got on the freedom rider buses he signed a last will and testament. this is a man who stands on principal. Why should he step down? he should force them to pull him down. Force a recall. Filner does not have to step down. why should he? He is still going to be 100 times better than any alternative. he needs to stay and we need to fight for him and get these scumbags out. Hand counts people! hand counts! the Jacobs team also runs election software thru SAIC. CONNECT the dots and see what you find!

Yankeedoodle Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:06 a.m.

Agreed on fighting, but I know SAIC folks who would vote no on a recall.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:17 a.m.

historymatters: Filner is a fighter but even Joe Louis couldn't have won with both hands tied behind his back and chains on his ankles. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:22 p.m.

Filner has no shackles, and he does have lawyers. But the mantle of shame hanging over his head is weighing him down.

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:30 p.m.

Go away, dweeb bat. You are an enlisted hater: we get it.

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 4:48 p.m.

I don't "hate" anyone, including Filner (or Goldsmith). I just, like most San Diegans, just want him gone. I thought the same of Nixon, Agnew, LBJ and even Clinton (after the Lewinsky scandal). Bad apples spoil the barrel, and so do bad public officials.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:05 p.m.

dwbat: Go back and read your posts: you are consumed by hatred. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:03 p.m.

dwbat: Filner has admitted his weakness. He's not like Weiner, the pervert who admitted his kinkiness and then did it again. Filner's transgressions are hardly in the same league as Weiner's, pedophile priests', etc. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:21 p.m.

dwbat: One thing is certain, dwbat: you are so virtuous that you are absolutely certain to go to heaven. Those of us headed for hell are envious. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:21 p.m.

historymatters: San Diego's vote-counting has been questionable for some time. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Aug. 11, 2013 @ 2:17 p.m.

Don he can fight this if WE help him. This idea that we are all just gonna sit idly by and let him be steamrolled out of office makes me sick.

Filner has plenty of supporters! Its just that we dont have a bully pulpit or a megaphone and he would have plenty more supporters if they were educated about this.

no "he" cant fight this, but "we" together can. Just because all the media rags are against him and the leaders are doesnt mean the people are. I was at a party last night and the people there who knew little about this said this feels like a "coup" and were undecided on supporting Filner or not. So peoples gut is telling them this is a coup and if we support him and allow this to play out they will bury themselves.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:07 p.m.

historymatters: Filner probably has supporters. But in this environment of hysteria, they are afraid to come forward. As I recall, any female in Salem who stood up for the women accused of being witches was immediately called a witch. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:58 p.m.

Don: Or any male. John Proctor was arrested. A tavernkeeper, he made fun of the proceedings and stated from the outset that it was all a sham. He was hanged. It took until 2001 for the government of Massachusetts to proclaim by name each of the accused as innocent. So, it seems it can be very hard to admit one is wrong when accusations produce negative results.

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:27 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: I didn't know the Proctor story. He had something in common with my family. My mother's side of the family came to the Massachusetts Bay Colony in the 1630s. One of three brothers was hanged for killing Indians. I always say I wish I had been descended from somebody who was hung rather than somebody who was hanged. Best, Don Bauder

Twister Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:53 p.m.

Hey, I agree. But a friend of mine is a principal, and I don't want Filner standing on him.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 11, 2013 @ 9:41 p.m.

Twister: History didn't say which principal Filner stands on. It may not be your friend.

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:33 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: I wanted to stand on my high school principal with an axe in my hand. Never got the courage to do it. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:31 p.m.

Twister: Will the students get to watch the mayor stepping on your friend? Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:29 p.m.

Flannery, you must be home on the Emerald Isle to sound this hopeful. I agree with you entirely on every word. This is a modern-day lynching. I too hope Filner will stand and fight. Maybe we need to start a legal-defense fund so this can happen.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:23 p.m.

monaghan: All the money is lined up against Filner. A legal defense fund would have to raise millions, probably, since more than one government agency is out to get him, with or without a case. Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:30 p.m.

There are wealthy Democrats with a history of fighting wrong-doing, like lawyer Bill Lerach, who might want to engage in a clash of the titans.

JustWondering Aug. 13, 2013 @ 10:59 a.m.

That's former lawyer Bill Lerach who was disbarred in 2009 after pleding guilty to felony obstruction of justice charges in 2007. While he may still have a boatload of wealth, is this the guy you want representing your cause?

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:09 p.m.

monaghan: Lerach has bucks, but not the ability to practice law. Best, Don Bauder

KLoEditor Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:07 a.m.

If there is anyone on this planet who has the intestinal fortitude to withstand this kind of pressure, it's Bob Filner. He simply won't cave. I thank God for that, and for the people who continue to stand by him.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:11 p.m.

KLoEditor: He has to stand up long enough for the truth to come out about who launched, financed -- and most importantly stands to gain -- from the lynching. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:51 a.m.

and he will Don. I like your stuff but I gotta say I am very disappointed in your fatalism. He has a ton of support like I said and we are willing to come forward. Just because a few people in high places can pretend to speak for 1000s does not make that a reality.

The fact is even the people who are upset w/ Filner are still undecided and can be persuaded with the right argument. You are one of the only journalists that is writing the truth about this so to see you profess fatalism is beyond disappointing. You are greatly underestimating the people of SD and I take issue w/ you saying the ONLY people supporting him are a few journalists.

The fact that no one shows up to their recall rallies is a testament to the fact that people are not passionate about booting him.

So seriously stop being such a Debbie Downer and step up.

Good God, good thing you werent leading the Freedom Riders in 1961 with that attitude.

Sorry like I said, I like your work but I am a bit perturbed w/ your attitude right now.

danfogel Aug. 14, 2013 @ 8:37 a.m.

response to historymatters,

Perhaps this is one of the pitfalls of writing about such an important story when you live 1,000 plus miles away in Colorado. I have spent most of the summer about 45 minutes from downtown and I don't have a clear picture even though I talk to long time San Diego residents several times a week. It's just my opinion, but it seems that it would be extremely difficult to the accurately judge the sentiment of the populus with out actually being there. I can tell you that no one I talk to, including a couple of people who comment in the Reader, see any "environment of hysteria", except for the one Don Bauder seems to be trying to propagate, that is. Perhaps his Debbie Downer attitude as you put it, is just his way to have people keep reading his crap, or maybe it's just that his age is finally catching up with him and all he can come with is his outlandish conspiracy theory. I don't know. But I do know that, as I have said previously, this is not the Don Bauder I grew up reading. It is so far beneath the "old(no pun intended) Don Bauder that it's really kinda sad. Sometimes it's better to just gracefully fade away. I guess that's not the case here. De gustibus non est disputandum. De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum. Dum spiro, spero.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 14, 2013 @ 9:01 a.m.

Ha ha..my dear Mr. Fogel: I have not read this blog for long, but long enough to suspect that trying to sow dissension in the ranks will not work on historymatters. I don't think a divide and conquer strategy will work, but good try. Enjoyed it.

I do live in the midst of the neighborhoods, and I think that Don is not speaking of people running through the streets with pitchforks instead of going to work. I am sure that he will correct me if I am wrong, for, incredibly ancient as he is, he seems to be able to read through this long blog twice a day and answer everyone in surprisingly cogent prose. Surprisingly, that is, for someone of his advanced years. As for me, I am glad once more that in addition to being without fault, I rarely step into the river of time.

danfogel Aug. 14, 2013 @ 9:24 a.m.

reply to yankeedoodle, Apparently you read too much in to my comment. WAY too much. I am simply voice my opinion on how I view things here in far off San Clemente. That's it. No more and no less. The long time San Diego residents to whom I refer were ones I met upon moving to San Diego in 1976. Some of them are Filner supporters and some of them think he needs to go, IF he has done any of what he has been accused of and I think they all voted for Filner. But none of them sense any "hysteria" at all. And actually most of them seem to have the attitude that they just want to get the whole thing over with because they are tired of hearing about it. Whatever, since I don't live there, doesn't matter much to me either way. I just find the "process" to be "interesting". As for Don Bauder, as I said, is this is not the Don Bauder I grew up reading and I find it kind of sad. Reminds me of the frog and the hot water.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 14, 2013 @ 9:51 a.m.

Dan: I take your word for it. However, while Bauder's view is different from many in the local media, I think it corresponds more to the reality I see around me. By nature, opinions on these things are subjective. Perhaps he will elucidate his notion of societal 'hysteria'. When the attack on the Mayor subject comes up, I agree with him that a type of panic or exasperation does set in when the media will not let the populace out from under its hail of abuse on the selected prey. I think that the people in general would be happy for the subject to disappear by Filner triumphing as much as by him leaving office, the latter being much more involved and disturbing to the fabric of daily life here in San Diego. My own feeling is that there is a sense of the whole story in regard to the attack not being what is presented...something we are used to here.

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:40 p.m.

historymatters: I sincerely hope you are right and my fatalism is wrong. I hope that Filner does have support in the citizenry. Best, Don Bauder

DX Aug. 10, 2013 @ 3:09 a.m.

Mayor Filner is a veteran representative in/of the U.S. House of Representatives and probably no stranger to dirty politics. Is Filner a Republican? The Democrats had a similar situation with their boy Bill Clinton not that long ago. News reporting at the time dropped a bombshell by reporting that NOW (National Organization of Women) had no problem with Clinton's dalliances.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 10, 2013 @ 6:20 a.m.

DX: I disagree. This is not about any dalliances, of which we, the apparent galley for the jurists of the press, have heard nothing. The Republicans "had a similar situation with their boy" Murphy when he displeased them, and they promptly deserted him and traduced his name nationally. No doubt anyone who didn't toe the line then was also held up as tainted and in denial. I found that madness equally despicable.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:21 a.m.

Yankeedoodle: Murphy was not caught up in a sex scandal. There were REAL issues of competence involved. Polemic can be enlightening when the battle is about ISSUES. That's why a sex scandal can be so effective. Nobody has to think about recondite matters. Politicians can generate a lynch mob mentality that carries the day. People think sexual transgressions are BAD -- unless, of course, those transgressions are their own. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 10, 2013 @ 2:33 p.m.

Don: The sex part is irrelevant to me. I think there was no enlightening polemic in the Murphy removal. All I learned was that the Republicans would eat their own, as the Dems are doing. In my opinion, he was better than his predecessor and his successor, and good enough to last through his term. This intemperate habit of throwing people out of office before the term is up is just bizarre. Back to the present...agreed that this is far and away more vicious.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:14 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: Murphy's mishandling of the pension problem, his plan to permit John Moores to walk away with hundreds of millions if not more from sale of land in the ballpark district, and his paving the way for the Chargers to leave town were serious issues. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 13, 2013 @ 9:04 p.m.

Maybe. I certainly don't care to underwrite any private sports stadium. But we digress. I simply think that forcing Murphy's resignation was unnecessary. If one doesn't like the person in elected office, when the time comes, do not vote for that person again. This creates an endless election season. Don't like the result? Vote again. Your person is not what you thought? Vote again. I mean, it is childish.

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:43 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: I don't think Murphy was forced to resign. There was no lynching at all. He came under justifiable criticism and couldn't take it. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 14, 2013 @ 2:51 p.m.

Don: you are obdurate on the Murphy history. TIME had his picture on the cover? I say, what? You refuse, Earthling, to bend to my point of view on this subject. Therefore, by inspection, you must either live in Colorado or be 77 years of age. Those are the only explanations that could account for this mystery. You know what our 80-year old friend says, "Bell Telephone does not argue with a closed mind." Thus, I surrender the gavel and close this subject, vanquished.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:13 a.m.

DX: Bill Clinton stood up and fought, and won....sort of. Nixon chose to resign. Spitzer resigned, thereby eliminating a brilliant, courageous voice who could have made a great president. His flaw was not realizing Wall Street would tail him. Now he is trying a comeback. Much depends on the politician's toughness and the nature of the charges. Strauss-Kahn is an interesting case. Clearly, a book should be written on the efficacy of the various sex scandals. Best, Don Bauder

danfogel Aug. 10, 2013 @ 2:08 p.m.

response to donbauder, I have been reading all of these stories and comments about Filner and his peccadillos from afar and I really don't have any comments on the situation itself, because even though I was a San Diego resident for a long time, it's also been along time since I left and really, I couldn't care less what happens. That said, even I knew of Filner's reputation and I have been back in California for less than 2 years. I would like to comment however, on some of what's being written in these pages. Some of it is absolutely hilarious. In particular your above comment "Spitzer resigned.... His flaw was not realizing Wall Street would tail him." That single comment exposes and exemplifies the flaw in almost everything you have said in this matter. It seems to me that your entire point of view is somewhat twisted, as exposed in that comment. Spitzer's flaw was absolutely NOT that he didn't realize that Wall Street would "tail him". His flaw was that he broke the law and got caught. He was patronizing a high-priced prostitution service. He was spending $1000 an hour on hookers. He was doing it while while he was Attorney General, and was still doing as Governor. And if that wasn't enough, it turns out that at least some of the money came from campaign funds. So I say again that his flaw was not because he under estimated the lengths wall street would go to, as you claim, but instead it was BECAUSE HE BROKE THE LAW. PERIOD! It makes absolutely no difference how how he got caught. Had he not been doing something illegal he couldn't have been caught doing it. Your whole line here seems to be about how Filner got caught instead of why he got caught. If even a single incident proves to be true, then he is guilty. Period. It doesn't matter how it's discovered. If he did it, he did it. And your whole line about the Ca. DOJ and/ or the US DOJ fabricating some charge is absolutely one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. BTW, the fact that you deem this twitter rumor credible is an absolute joke. If the rumor had been that they were caught using a laser listening device, then maybe. But a directional mike, from across the street, from at least 11 stories in the air, thru a closed window? No way. Gotta be the second most ridiculous thing I've read today

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:16 p.m.

JustWondering: I am certain you are without sin. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:57 p.m.

Hmmmm, I can read between lines and I see what you are saying is we were tailing Bob w/ our PIs. we set him up w/ some bait and have it on video. we would love to release it but then we could face criminal charges so bob just needs to step down because we have this amazing video evidence that we have been showing to all the politicians behind the scenes. right?

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:20 p.m.

historymatters: Yes, the U-T showed him getting out of a car in 2009. There was a woman inside the car. Shocking!! Horrors!! That's the way the U-T treated it. He was being trailed by a Republican dick. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 13, 2013 @ 9:35 p.m.

Don: but of course. Were he a gentleman worthy of the Mayor's office, he would have let the woman exit the vehicle first.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:39 p.m.

danfogel: I think in terms of issues instead of sex scandals. I would much rather have a governor of New York who cleans up the Wall Street gang stealing trillions from the citizenry than a governor who is sexually pure. Sorry to upset you. Best, Don Bauder

danfogel Aug. 12, 2013 @ 8:43 a.m.

reply to dondauder, I have only been reading your "work" here in the reader for a few months, but in that short time, I have realized what a tool you have become, nothing like the Don Buder I used to readin the old Union. It's so sad. I have also noticed that either you ignore what's actually being said in some comments, I guess maybe because you disagree or perhaps you really just don't get it anymore. First, you haven't upset me in the slightest. As I have said, since I haven't lived in San Diego in a long time and made the decision, apparently a wise one, not to move back, I couldn't care less about what happens to Filner. I actually find the whole situation to be, in terms of how you are playing it out in the Reader, absolutely hilarious, some of the funniest sh*t I have read in a long time. The trouble is that unfortunately I think you mean most of it to be serious. As for thinking in terms of issues rather than scandals, well you either ignored or completely missed my point. It has nothing to do with being "sexually pure". Lord knows you mat be the only sexually pure man alive. Nor does it have to do with "cleaning up wall street. It has to do with not breaking the law. You would like a governor who "cleans up wall street" and don't care whether he's "sexually pure? Good for you. I'm sure that would be nice. As for me? Well, it has nothing to do with "sexual purity". Personally I would simply prefer to have a governor, or any other elected official who isn't a criminal, who doesn't break the law. I know that's a lot to ask theses days, but we can all at least dream, can't we. But, as is obvious from your comments, that is apparently not a criteria that is of any importance to you. To each their own. Please, please, please keep writing more . Everyone needs a little humor in their day. BTW, one of the people who sent me an email regarding my comment had a really clever anachronism, which somehow seems appropriate: writer in name only, WINO!!!! To borrow from the inimitable Anne Robinson, somewhere a village has apparently lost it's idiot. I think we have found him! LOL

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:25 p.m.

danfogel: I suppose you would purge every politician who tells a lie. There would be none left. Write down your comments on this blog and look at them a year from now, and tell me that you and San Diegans are NOT in the throes of hysteria. These people who are emotionally and not intellectually involved in this are meat for deceitful politicians. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 2:32 p.m.

danfogel: Yours is the Puritan view. You must be perfect yourself. Would it surprise you to learn that politicians break laws all the time? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

danfogel: Throw all jaywalkers in jail and kick them out of office! Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:22 a.m.

DX: Now, all those government agencies hounding Filner are supposedly investigating his alleged trips to hotels with females. If this is true, would Filner be the first politician in history to have romps in a hotel room? And wasn't he single at the time? Further, if the agencies discover that the romps were with another well-known politician, will that information be covered up? Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:33 p.m.

There is absolutely NO comparison between Filner and the married President who engaged in sexual acts in the White House with a young female intern.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:41 p.m.

monaghan: Or how about a martyred president who kept a prostitute in the White House who was provided to him by a Chicago Mafioso? (That would be Jack Kennedy, of course.) Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 4:29 p.m.

I have observed to a friend that reckless politicians fare better if they have piles of money behind them -- as in the case of numerous Kennedys. Jack of course, and then Teddy at Chappaquidick and later escapades In Florida. No comparison to Filner's misdemeanors or modest financial wherewithal.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 2:39 p.m.

monaghan: The one that really got me is when the young lady, Kopechne, was at the bottom of the drink in a car, slowly dying, the Kennedy folks were diving down to see if they could rescue her. But nobody called the cops who could have towed the car out. Ted Kennedy's lawyer was asked why he didn't call the cops. He said he didn't have his client's permission. (Teddy was supposedly swimming out in the bay, out of fear.) That lawyer should have been jailed and then disbarred. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 4:54 p.m.

Both were equally WRONG. Clinton should have resigned, as he brought shame on the Presidency. [Kennedy lived in a different era, so got away with his behavior. A prez couldn't do that today.]

KLoEditor Aug. 12, 2013 @ 5:53 a.m.

What does this term "wrong" mean, are we speaking of personal morals or legal definitions? I think most lawyers would agree that this "sexual harassment" case is pretty weak and very winnable by the defense. If we are speaking of the other meaning, as Don said, I'd rather not have to vote saints into public office since one, they may not be the best person for the job, and two, they are in very short supply.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:28 p.m.

KLoEditor: A truly saintly person would never enter politics. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 2:41 p.m.

d-bat: I do not buy the excuse that Jack Kennedy lived in a different era when the media didn't pry into personal affairs. Sorry. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 12, 2013 @ 5:17 p.m.

The White House press knew what Kennedy was doing, but there was an unwritten agreement that they would not report it. That's a fact. It was wink-wink time.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 6:50 a.m.

dwbat: The same was true with Lyndon Johnson's philandering and Barry Goldwater's multifarious mob associations. (Very little was said about Joe Kennedy being a mobster.) Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 10, 2013 @ 6:37 a.m.

Patflannery: I agree with you on the issue, and csn only hope that you are right about the outcome. If Filner does fight tooth and nail, at least it might open a window on the modus operandi of our civic leaders. Some daylight and fresh air there would be welcome.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:25 a.m.

Yankeedoodle: Whether or not Filner resigns or is recalled, this incident can open a window on the modus operandi of San Diego's civic leaders. At some point, some people will begin to ponder whether theft of taxpayer money to the detriment of infrastructure and neighborhoods is a greater sin than alleged sexual harassment. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:37 a.m.

"directional microphone from a room at the Westgate Hotel."

would be easier ( and better quality audio) just to secrete a small cell phone system bug in his office)

Burwell Aug. 10, 2013 @ 9:37 a.m.

Talking inside a room causes windows to vibrate. Private Investigators use laser devices pointed from a distance to measure vibration on windows and reproduce sound from within a room without having to actually plant a bug. The rumor sounds plausible, assuming such a device could be pointed at the Mayor's office from a room at the Westgate.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:24 a.m.

Burwell: The rumor is from an excellent source. Best, Don Bauder

SoBeIt Aug. 11, 2013 @ 9:44 p.m.

Coulda been a microphone inside a smoke detector in Filner's office! SDG&E employee was working outside my home recently who told me that his boss, the foreman on the new SDG&E building told him they were instaling listening devices all throughout the bldg that were in the smoke detectors! I wouldn't doubt all new commercial development is installing similar recording devices as well. Scary world we live in. That said, who can we get in touch with to help Filner fight this witch hunt? I'm sick about what's happening.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:30 p.m.

KLoEditor: That is good information. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 2:46 p.m.

SoBeIt: I don't know anyone with power or influence on Filner's side, other than, possibly, anonymous people posting blogs on this site and on other sites at the Reader. If you want information, read the Reader. If you want propaganda directed by the big money behind the coup, read and listen to mainstream media. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Aug. 14, 2013 @ 12:57 a.m.

join the FB page. this is where we are organizing. we are working on a rally date. https://www.facebook.com/SanDiegansForMayorBobFilner there are a LOT of supporters for Filner...a LOT.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:31 a.m.

Murphyjunk: I suppose an office bug might work better, but there could be more risk. Best, Don Bauder

patflannery Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:07 a.m.

Don:

There was not one mention on Twitter "that Homeland Security has caught a person or persons eavesdropping on the mayor's office with a directional microphone from a room at the Westgate Hotel" or any variation of that.

That malicious rumor was started by somebody who is not on Twitter and who knows very little about it. It was an awkward attempt to intimidate Lee Burdick by making her believe that she is being stalked. I suspect you got your information from Donna Frye because I know of one other person who was fed the same false rumor by that source.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:34 a.m.

Pat: I have not talked with Donna Frye since this began. I don't know that the rumor was started to intimidate Lee Burdick. Best, Don Bauder

patflannery Aug. 10, 2013 @ 11:33 a.m.

Don: you wrote above "According to unconfirmed reports, the spy or spies listened in on conversations of Lee Burdick, Filner's chief of staff, who has been busy talking with Jan Goldsmith, city attorney who hates Filner".

Doesn't that sound like somebody was trying to make it look like Lee was getting chummy with Goldsmith behind Filner's back? Now who but the most scurrilous of rumor mongers would tell you a story like that?

Listening in to their conversations! Wow!

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 12:56 p.m.

Pat: I stick by my statement. A rumor is going around. The source of that rumor is very good. But the rumor, like all rumors, could have gotten magnified. I made clear this is a rumor, but a credible one. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:21 p.m.

Always sticking to statements, even when they are ridiculous or specious, could be construed by some as a sign of arrogance and egomania. It's an admirable trait when people can admit their mistakes. The most wise and powerful humans among us do so on occasion. That's something to ponder.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 10, 2013 @ 9:02 p.m.

So dwbat, when was the last time you admitted a mistake?

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:29 a.m.

Yankeedoodle: Maybe dwbat never makes mistakes. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:33 p.m.

I made a huge mistake while in college. Instead of being a communications major, I should have gone to law school. I would have been a fine lawyer [for one thing I prefer facts to rumors], and definitely would have made a helluva lot more money. Mistake: not going to OCS while in the Army, even though I got a recommendation from an officer to do so. HUGE mistake: spending too many years living in LA, trying to break into showbiz as a writer. Mistake: smoking way too much weed in my early years. Mistake: smoking too much tobacco for too many years, before finally quitting. Mistake: quitting jobs because I hated the boss. I could go on for pages with the MANY mistakes I've made throughout my life.

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:38 p.m.

Too much information here, dweeb-bat. Please cease and desist.

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 4:55 p.m.

I'll cease and desist, right after YOU go away. ;-)

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 2:53 p.m.

monaghan and dwbat: We don't want anyone to cease and desist and go away. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 2:51 p.m.

dwbat: We have all made mistakes. I have. Believing that the concocted Filner scandal is a political coup backed by big money is not one of them. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 12, 2013 @ 12:03 p.m.

You seem confused. I've never been a Republican.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 2:56 p.m.

dwbat: Why should Duhbya be confused? Does he know you? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:27 a.m.

dwbat: If I pay to sit on a psychiatrist's couch, I wouldn't pick you, dwbat. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 11:58 a.m.

I noticed you are not talking about the bogus microphone rumor anymore. And what psychiatrist DO you pay? ;-)

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:10 p.m.

dwbat: You think it's bogus. I do not, knowing the source. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:44 p.m.

d-bat: A statement that seems ridiculous to you may not be ridiculous to someone else. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 4:58 p.m.

I'm more skeptical about unconfirmed rumors, I guess. Must have something to do with Journalism 101.

ottog1979 Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:17 a.m.

You guys are hilarious. I don't pretend for a second that I am going to change anyone’s mind. But Filner quits his "two week" in-patient therapy after just one week and the public is supposed to take him seriously? He is his own worst enemy and doesn't need anyone else or a conspiracy to take him down. I will say this, his destruction of himself is wildly entertaining.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:37 a.m.

ottog1979: Maybe you find it wildly entertaining because you are sitting safely and anonymously on the sidelines. Best, Don Bauder

ImJustABill Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:30 p.m.

Entertaining is a nice way of putting it. Sad and disappointed is more how I feel. I still have a lot of respect for you as a journalist but your series of articles about Filner has all the integrity of a Rush Limbaugh show. Rah, rah, go team for my political side - they can do no wrong. Boo to anyone who questions my guy or my political team - they are all bad - even victims of sexual harassment. Oh, I know, he just needs due process. At this point that's like saying you need due process to show that the sun is going to rise in the East.

I miss the old Don Bauder.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:32 a.m.

ImJustABill: You've got the old (77) Don Bauder whether you like it or not. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ noon

Oh well, all good things must pass.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:46 p.m.

d-bat: The old Don Bauder stuck up for the underdog, just as the current one does. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:46 a.m.

At least you confess your sadistic pleasure openly, and help us all to understand this fight. I'm glad you took this break from tormenting the helpless and join us here. We can defend ourselves, and you give us reason to fight. Some join the mob because they're greedy. others openly endorse inflicting suffering for amusement. Thanks for the information.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:04 p.m.

Psycholizard: But MOST in this mob are greedy. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:15 p.m.

Psycholizard: Most join the mob because they are afraid not to. They are afraid they will get lynched, too. This has been true in every Salem Witch mob scene. You're seeing that in San Diego. Nobody looks into the big money behind this except the Reader. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 2:49 p.m.

As the old saying goes, Filner was hoisted with his own petard.

Duhbya Aug. 10, 2013 @ 5:27 p.m.

Nice try, Hamlet. It's hoist, not "hoisted".

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 6:13 p.m.

Not in the way I wrote my sentence, using the past tense. I wasn't quoting Hamlet exactly.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m.

Duhbya: In Brooklyn, hoist means hearst. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:34 a.m.

dwbat: I think that's one point even the supporters of due process don't dispute. Best, Don Bauder

KLoEditor Aug. 13, 2013 @ 2:35 p.m.

Dispute unproven allegations? Of course!

Diogenes Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:40 a.m.

I cannot imagine an effort to depose the mayor without having a fly on the wall. Planting the microphone inside would be too risky. Look what happened at Watergate.

Developers are licking their chops at rescinding the ban on highrise building west of Interstate 5. Little Italy is exempt already.

The future of San Diego involves land use laws and policies that Filner opposes.

Beach property is a limited commodity. The experience in the Los Angeles area convinces me that San Diego is going to see a massive construction boom.

Labor unions in private sector want work; developers want to build. Instead of working with public employee such as they did in the pension debacle, developers can reach out to those who work. Aren't there some prevailing wage policies recently enacted?

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:39 a.m.

Diogenes: The corporate welfare crowd and labor unions create an unstoppable political juggernaut. Example: the convention center expansion, for which there is no economic justification. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 10, 2013 @ 6:17 p.m.

Don,

Have you read FREE LUNCH, How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich themselves At Government Expense (And Stick You With The Bill)?

David Cay Johnson, Pulitzer-Prize-winning author.

It's all about how today's government policies and spending reach deep into the wallets of the many for the benefit of the wealthy few.

You need the right politicians in office - those who know how the game is played. This is why they want Filner out. How many billionaires care about a sex scandal? The sex scandal is for the consumption of public who don't understand how business is done - with subsidies and weak regulation.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:38 a.m.

Diogenes: David Cay Johnston is one of our most brilliant writers. And he is absolutely right. I have been pointing out that this is what is going on in San Diego for decades. Filner tried to stop it. So did Aguirre. You see what happened to them. It will happen to the next politician -- if there is one -- who fights the corporate welfare crowd. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:04 p.m.

Bottom line corporate profits are exalted above consequences.

The story of the little boy who had a pony comes to mind. He went to visit his pony only to have found that it had been killed and skinned for the going rate in those days of two dollars per skin.

This was called the "two-dollar meaness that skinned my pony."

Here in San Diego both Aguirre and Filner were skinned by Doug Manchester's two-dollar meaness. There are many others besides Mr. Manchester, in all fairness.

Best to you, Don. You have been almost the lone voice in the wilderness here in San Diego for many years.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:53 p.m.

Diogenes: Manchester, Sanders, Pallamary, those funding the recall -- this is murder by the business community, which wants city hall back. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 11, 2013 @ 2:54 p.m.

Regime change by sexual harassment charges.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:21 p.m.

Diogenes: Precisely. This is why sex scandals are so effective. And why politicians should be extra careful not to be vulnerable in this regard. Filner, Clinton, Spitzer, Weiner, Vitter...hubris made them feel they were too big to get caught. Filner's enemies were plotting a sex scandal from the beginning. He was vulnerable. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:13 a.m.

Don, just because you think a rumor is "credible" does not mean you should report it. Your doing so is shameful. Verify it first, and if true THEN report it. If publications published unconfirmed rumors all the time, there would be little or no space left for factual reports.

Burwell Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:34 a.m.

Many readers are sick of reporters and columnists who withhold rumors from the public. All rumors are newsworthy, even rumors that turn out to be false. Don Bauder should be commended for he is one of the few journalists who is willing to disclose rumors to the public. Many of the rumors he reports turn out to be true. As an example, the rumor Papa Doug was trying to buy the U-T.

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 11:08 a.m.

RE: "All rumors are newsworthy, even rumors that turn out to be false." That statement is moronic.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:12 p.m.

dwbat: Be careful calling a Burwell statement moronic. He or she may be the smartest person contributing to this blog. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:06 p.m.

Burwell: I only report rumors that I deem credible, and then I label them as rumors -- usually doubly warning readers that they are rumors. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:41 a.m.

dwbat: "Shameful?" Reminds me of when I posted the rumor that Manchester might buy the U-T. An establishment flack -- forgotten her name -- screamed that it was shameful. After Manchester bought the U-T, she repeated that printing the rumor was shameful. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 11:07 a.m.

You were right on that one. It didn't sound that outlandish for "Papa" to do that, so it was a correct call. But I don't think you'll "score" on the microphone rumor. It reeks of dubiousness. There are "good" rumors and "bad" rumors. It's best to know the difference. Of course on blogs (as opposed to news articles), anything goes and nobody verifies anything before posting. Many bloggers just pontificate, and don't bother with details like facts. No wonder the public doesn't trust journalists.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:08 p.m.

dwbat: Au contraire. The sources of that rumor are excellent. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 13, 2013 @ 10:17 p.m.

Clicked on 1 reply to read it, but hit Flagged too by mistake. My error.

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 4:37 p.m.

Blogs are informal and do not require strictly verifiable information as in a news report. Labeled rumor -- the only kind Bauder reports -- is a public service and entirely appropriate in a blog.

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 5:05 p.m.

What's the best thing about the Web? Anyone anywhere can write anything about anything, and none of it has to be factual. What's the worst thing about the Web? Same answer.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:28 p.m.

dwbat: It's like the telly. You can always turn it off. Best, Don Bauder

anniej Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:16 a.m.

Dan Bauder - what is the chance San Diego city and county residents will one day wake up and read of the good that our elected officials are doing? From South Bay school boards to Mayor - it appears our court houses will be very busy places. What of their replacements, will they take heed and choose to serve vs. use? What's that old saying - 'time will tell'

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 11:04 a.m.

anniej: Filner was doing some good things -- wanting hoteliers to pay their own freight and blocking some unwise development. Look what's happening to him. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 11:16 a.m.

The next mayor will have his/her personal/on-the-job behavior looked at very carefully. The voters this time around will make it priority No. 1. We didn't do that with Bob, and he ended up with a grade of F. A lesson learned.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:10 p.m.

dwbat: All the homework should have been done before the election. The result can only be undone by due process. Best,Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:31 p.m.

Due process IS moving along. There are lawyers on BOTH sides, as you know. That's the way the legal system works. Nixon got due process, but when the citizenry finally turned against him in huge numbers (assisted by months of vigorous news reporting), it was over for him and he resigned. Sound familiar? Nixon got what he deserved, as will Bob.

Psycholizard Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:46 p.m.

Nixon did crime, confederates were in jail refusing to talk. Nixon deserved 20 years, but avoided it with a pardon. Filner is accused of a serious civil violation, one any company head could likely settle without losing their job, as a first offense. The difference between a lawsuit and multiple felonies is profound. Your cause needs supporting evidence.

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 9:07 p.m.

I wasn't comparing their offenses. I was making a point that public opinion counts, as does media coverage. But a lynching or media conspiracy didn't take "Tricky Dicky" down; his own bad behavior did. Same with Filner. It's called hubris. If Bob wants to know who caused his downfall, he need only look in the mirror. The public already know this.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:37 p.m.

dwbat: Two things are taking Filner down. One is his failure to realize that past behavior make him vulnerable. Second, and most important, is his stepping on the toes of big money, which decided to get him by trotting out his past sin in a highly coordinated fashion in which the mainstream media have been pitifully manipulated. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:37 p.m.

dwbat: Hysteria-laced public opinion is essential to a lynching. You see it before your very eyes. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:44 a.m.

dwbat: Today's (Sunday's) U-T has all manner of government investigators peering into every aspect of Filner's life. Goldsmith, whose own personal life is extremely dubious, is deeply involved. This is due process? It's a lynching that government agencies are now participating in. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:10 p.m.

It's unfortunate, and a tragedy for our city, that we have one slimebag going up against another. Both have two many skeletons in their closets. It would be great if both left public service. As for ongoing investigations outside the CA's office, this often happens with public officials who are under fire. It draws suspicion, and makes other agencies wonder what other possible crimes are hiding underneath the surface. So nothing unusual there.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:40 p.m.

dwbat: San Diegans SHOULD be suspicious -- should have been long ago. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:58 p.m.

dwbat: Come now. With 4 government bodies getting ready to charge him with who knows what, and every media outlet but the Reader convicting him before he has had a chance to depose his accusers, and you think due process is ongoing? Puh-leeze. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:33 p.m.

dwbat: Polls show public opinion has been formed before Filner has had a chance to state his own case, and depose his accusers. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Aug. 10, 2013 @ 11:45 a.m.

The fight now is bigger than the issues facing this City, huge as they are. Now we must re-establish the principle that law enforcement investigation must not be personal attack. We must turn our focus to the many obvious abuses of power. Those of us who voted for Filner have civil rights. Law enforcement has plainly intervened in the proposed recall, and have harmed Filner and supporters under color of authority, without alleging any crime. This must be stopped.

ottog1979 Aug. 10, 2013 @ 12:32 p.m.

"We must turn our focus to the many obvious abuses of power."

You mean like Filner's abuse of city staff, taxpayer paid trips to Paris and quid pro quo with developers like Sunroad?

Psycholizard Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:36 p.m.

There seems to be enough focus on Filner. I urge everyone to examine Sunroad, if as you suggest, there is quid pro quo with Filner, who took nothing for himself, certainly the cash funneled into Sander's and other campaigns must be suspect. Why Sanders started the practice of giving police paid holiday trips with the Mayor puzzles me, but I'm not puzzled why they started complaining only when Filner did it. They hate Filner.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:40 p.m.

Psycholizard: Sanders took big campaign cash from Sunroad and then plotted to get it off the hook. That is not true of Filner. Best, Don Bauder

BlueSouthPark Aug. 10, 2013 @ 6:54 p.m.

Otto, Taxpayers did not pay Filner's way to the Iranian pro-democracy annual event. Get a grip on reality, if not the facts.

laplayaheritage Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:33 p.m.

The mayor paid for his own trip and vacation to France.

Police Chief Lansdowne required the mayor to take 2 security guards. The mayor had no choice. Previously attended Paris event without need for bodyguards.

For Sunroad please our comments:

When the FBI investigate the Sunroad issue, the City Council will be at fault for giving away public park easements without compensation, and trying to create a legal loophole through misrepresentation.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:47 p.m.

ottog1979: No, like big money manipulating government and the press to bring down a mayor who dared to force the corporate welfare crowd to pay its own way. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:15 p.m.

Psycholizard: Law enforcement has entered into the political fracas -- and on the side of a lynching, not on the side of due process. This is hardly the first time that San Diego law enforcement has behaved this way. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:46 a.m.

Psycholizard: Yes, law enforcement has now become part of a vendetta. Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:19 p.m.

Well said, Psycholizard. The demonization of Mayor Filner is now far exceeded by the abuse of power by law enforcement.

The community needs to wake up to what is happening here -- far beyond charges of serial aggressive sexual flirtation -- and understand that the developer/owner of the daily newspaper, with other strange bedfellows including law enforcement, is trying to clear out City Hall of any opposition to their projects and special interests.

Every citizen's civil rights are being trampled in the onslaught.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:50 p.m.

monaghan: That's why due process must go forward. We have to know who makes up this cabal. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 2 p.m.

Psycholizard: It utterly disgusts me when there are so many significant issues facing San Diego, and everybody is fixated on a sex scandal. That's why sex scandals are so effective in politics. Nobody has to think about heavy issues. The sex scandal is a diversion from significant concerns. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering Aug. 12, 2013 @ 5:46 a.m.

Maybe such an experienced politician as Mr. Filner should have thought of that, rather than stroking his own sexual ego. If he had thought of accomplishing good, rather than feeding the "monster inside" he'd be in better shape.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:52 p.m.

JustWondering: We all agree that Filner, an experienced politician, should have known that he was vulnerable. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 12, 2013 @ 7:40 p.m.

Just and Don: That said, it was precisely all the work he undertook to accomplish good that brought on the fury, and his weakness simply allowed that fury through the front door. Had they not been delivered that lever, perhaps another lever may have been used.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:43 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: Precisely. If Filner had not tried to rein in the corporate welfare crowd, this would have never come up. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:44 p.m.

Psycholizard: Unfortunately, law enforcement going beyond its mandate to help big money will not stop in San Diego. Best, Don Bauder

patflannery Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:01 p.m.

Don: just wondering, did you read Lee Burdick's email to Scott Lewis published in the VOSD, the last sentence of which said "The mayor will be given the keys upon his return" before you wrote this piece?

Because you wrote: "New locks have been put on the mayor's door, but it is not clear if Filner will have a key or not."

Even if you had not read Lee's email what made you think that the Mayor might be locked out of his own office? Who would have the authority to do such a thing?

Who is telling you this stuff? You are one of the last reliable sources of journalistic information in this sorry town I hope you are not deserting us.

Don Bauder Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:28 p.m.

Pat: I did not read that email in VOSD. Even if I had read Burdick's email, I don't know that I would have changed what I wrote, because I had other very good sources. This is a fluid situation that changes minute by minute. I don't intend to desert anybody in this maelstrom. I am sticking with due process, skepticism of political knife-stabbing, and awareness of government's tendency to stretch its mandate as well as the truth. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 10, 2013 @ 2:52 p.m.

Wow, Don. It's been 20 minutes since you used the word "hysteria" in your rants about poor Bob's treatment. You're slipping!

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:47 a.m.

dwbat: 20 minutes? Huh? Best, DonBauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:13 p.m.

Every other posting from you a while back kept using that word. Filnergate is sure the talk of the town, but there's still NO sign of hysteria anywhere in San Diego County.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 2:14 p.m.

d-bat: There are all kinds of signs of hysteria right on this blog. Posters saying that Filner is worse than Weiner. One poster comparing Filner with pedophile priests. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 5:09 p.m.

Again, that's not hysteria. Check your dictionary.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:45 p.m.

dwbat: Ask a social psychologist. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Aug. 10, 2013 @ 4:20 p.m.

It's possible that one or more of the complainants who work for the city might go before a judge and obtain a restraining order against Filner that would prevent him from entering city hall. The new locks are probably of the type landlords install on laundry room doors. Tenants can use their keys to access the laundry room but the landlord has a master key to lock tenants out. It may also be that the locks were not changed after Sanders left office, and Filner's staff fear that Sanders or his former staff may attempt to gain entry to the office during off hours. Unknown individuals could plant dope in Filner's desk to frame him on a drug charge if there's loose sets of keys floating around. Filner's opposition is capable of anything.

Diogenes Aug. 10, 2013 @ 6:36 p.m.

Burwell,

Yes, for a few hundred-billion in additional revenue for developers, (each year) they just might cook something up to get someone in the mayor's office who will allow dense developments and ignore environmental considerations.

I lived in Malibu. In the summer of 1977 I think it was, every property on the beach doubled in value (in three months).

I moved from Los Angeles to escape the unlimited development. Los Angeles-ization is coming to San Diego with massive profits for developers. Politically, the ground was softened in advance by the ballot measures to allegedly rid us of the pension debacle. The real reason was for developers toget past restrictions on density and height restrictions, and, of course, environmental limitations. They never envisioned a Mayor Filner wielding those powers.

jelula Aug. 11, 2013 @ 10:44 p.m.

Developers would absolutely love to bust the coastal 30' height limit but can't do it without a majority of city voters to change it. This was a citizens' initiative in 1972 that has had exactly two exceptions approved - the Sea World height limit that passed by a fraction of a percent due to misinformation and a free day at Sea World just before election day, and the chimney & wind vane on the Mission Brewery building at Washington St. & Kettner Blvd. Voters might approve a specific exception in the future but I seriously doubt that voters would approve a blanket removal of the coastal height limit.

Diogenes Aug. 12, 2013 @ 9:36 a.m.

Thanks for the info.

There are other urban planning issues that we are facing such as height and density as well as traffic and parking.

For example, developers want smart growth in suburbs with no public transit. It is not smart growth without a mix of transit. No matter to developers who are.motivated by their bottom line. Increasing entitlement becomes a political issue. Filner stood in the way of One Paseo in Carmel Valley where Kilroy wanted 3 to 4 times their entitlement.

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2013 @ 2:29 p.m.

jelula: But with a prostitute mayor -- which San Diego is almost bound to get should Filner leave -- and plenty of money to spend on a campaign, that height limit might not survive. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:54 p.m.

Diogenes: You are right as usual. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:48 p.m.

Diogenes: San Diego has already been Los Angelesized. The difference is that Los Angeles has seen the error of its ways. San Diego has not. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 2:16 p.m.

Burwell: I agree: Filner's opposition will stop at nothing. There is too much money at stake. The mayor's major opponents are recipients of millions of dollars in corporate welfare. Do you think they want to give that up? Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Aug. 10, 2013 @ 7:29 p.m.

I suspect the locks were changed to keep documents from being pilfered, as Burdick suggests.

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 1:23 p.m.

Burwell, Burdick, I'm starting to lose it. But dweeb-bat still needs to go away.

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 5:12 p.m.

To quote Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men": "You can't handle the truth!"

monaghan Aug. 12, 2013 @ 10:32 a.m.

Dweeb-bat, you are entitled to your opinions, but we differ on the many meanings of "truth." You couldn't find a line from "Top Gun" or "White Nights?" (These are all stunningly jingoistic movie titles made for "patriots.")

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 3:58 p.m.

dwbat: Sorry. Didn't see the movie. I have heard of Jack Nicholson, though -- I am sure to the surprise of many who read this blog. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 2:19 p.m.

Psycholizard: I go along with Burwell that there might have been insidious motivations between the lock-changing. Those insidious motivations may have been governmental. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark Aug. 10, 2013 @ 11:22 p.m.

According to the Manchester U-T, Filner is being investigated for taking women over to the Westgate hotel. Maybe Filner set up the listening devices to check on his staff? Maybe this whole "directional microphone" thing is a diversion? Maybe this whole thing is getting more goofy by the minute?

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 2:23 p.m.

aardvark: Is it a fireable offense for a public official to have sex with someone in a hotel room, as long as there is no quid pro quo involved? If so, a lot of politicians will be out of office. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:16 a.m.

So Don, lemme ask you this...what do you think of Burdick? i have said all along I am not sure what to make of her. her past w/ the Port Authority and role on BP conservation board raise SERIOUS flags for me....do you think this suggests she is conspiring w/ Goldsmith?

I would not be shocked if this is the case....

This is certainly interesting and I know you are not one to post rumors unless you have good reason to think its legit. For that reason I tend to believe this and wonder what it means for Burdick???

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 2:25 p.m.

historymatters: I hope she is not conspiring with Goldsmith. As I have said, his intense hatred of Filner, as well as his own extremely dubious past, should disqualify him. Best, Don Bauder

jelula Aug. 11, 2013 @ 10:37 p.m.

historymatters: Lee Burdick is not on the board of the Balboa Park Conservancy - it is one of the accusers, Joyce Gattas, who is on the board. Also, the Port Authority is in New York City. Here in San Diego, it's the Port District and/or the Port Commission, depending on whether you're referring to the agency or the governing board.

Corrections aside, I am mostly in agreement with all that you have posted on this hideous situation, and continue to support Bob Filner as mayor even though I believe he does need serious behavior therapy, for his temper and rudeness as well as for his excessive attentions to women. Most of those attentions have been little different than behaviors I've encountered and shrugged off during my 50+ years as an adult woman.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:51 p.m.

Jelula: I don't think anybody disagrees that Filner needs behavior therapy. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:20 a.m.

"Two things are increasingly certain: Filner can't survive this pressure, and probably nobody could. " I kind of take issue w/ you saying this. Why would you say he "cant"?

Certainly its not easy and he needs our help, but the word "cant" means you have given up and that concerns me. we can not give up. there is WAY too much at stake here.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 2:27 p.m.

historymatters: With all the governmental and non-governmental power, and all the money, lined up against him, Filner would have to be Superman to survive. Best, Don Bauder

patflannery Aug. 11, 2013 @ 4:27 a.m.

historymatters:

I think I know where you are coming from. I carefully read and studied your "Filner's accusers and their interesting connection to KPBS and the Port Authority" at http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs.... You have done your homework and I admire that.

I also read the entire transcript of the 10-27-2011 State Lands Commission hearing of the Ports application for an extension of the B Street Pier concession in which Cory disputed the Port’s version of events regarding the Coastal Commission’s waiver.

I don’t think we should read too much into any one event such as that Nov ’11 hearing. Cory and Irene are now joined in a common cause. Nor would I spend too much time on CONNECT.

We already know that rich folk love each other’s company and that the wannabes yearn to have their photos taken with the rich and powerful. CONNECT just confirms what we already know, that such ladies are power-sycophants and rich-husband-seekers (in the case of Froman she succeeded “admirably” – pun intended).

But to get back to Filner, to motivate this kind of a deadly attack AFTER he became mayor there has to be a powerful “Dark Vader” pulling the strings in the background.

The best theory I have heard so far (and it is only a theory, but from somebody who is no dummy about San Diego politics) is that Irene McCormack was Doug Manchester’s Plan B. She would be parachuted in behind enemy lines and penetrate Filner’s inner circle if Plan B, Carl DeMaio, failed.

That makes sense to me because of Manchester’s oft-demonstrated unscrupulous greed and a shared interest in the waterfront with Irene. I have had a working assumption for a long time that Irene has been Manchester's mole in the Port from when she got there.

Doug wanted the Oval Park removed because it was encroaching on his Navy Broadway Complex plan, which she did by promoting a cruise ship terminal monstrosity on Broadway Pier, which nobody wanted, not even Carnival. But it neatly required the removal of the Broadway Pier Park for "access". Neat trick Irene and Doug, never mind the public expense or the destruction of San Diego's front porch.

Anybody who pretends to think that this is all about Bob's sexual harassment of some of the most powerful women in San Diego needs a few weeks in re-hab to check their moral and/or naivety monitor.

Keep digging historymatters. I think Dougie is your man, with Jacobs merely scavenging behind as usual.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 4:58 p.m.

Yes, I have heard the theory that McCormack Jackson was a plant. But I have seen no evidence of it. Before anybody is denigrated invidiously, we have to know more. That is one reason why due process must go forward. Many San Diegans -- including some in government -- should be deposed under oath. Filner's enemies will whine that we must got on with the business of government. But they have been perfectly willing to suspend that business to pursue a sex scandal. They have only themselves to blame. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:09 a.m.

We always must look for who benefits in investigating a crime. In politics, there are many similarities in following the money.

An example is the joke where two beautiful young women kissed each other on national broadcast television so Republicans immediately moved to reduce taxes on millionaires.

If Filner acts inappropriately with women, we should allow the land use experts to team up with pro-development forces in San Diego.

The women who are being brought forth as victims do not meet the profile of typical victims of sexual harassment. I see evidence of coaching in their stories. Forces acting behind the scenes had planned the recall months in advance of the announcement by McCormack.'s allegations being released

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 5:01 p.m.

Diogenes: The key question is who recruited the women who have come forward. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 12, 2013 @ 9:46 a.m.

Recruited is an interesting term. If Filner hangs in, his attorneys will certainly depose all witnesses to examine credibility, sincerity, lack of bias, demeanor while testifying. Their ability to recall is not as problematic as who might have coached them, if anyone. Victim communications to law enforcement as victims or to their attorney or spouse are privileged. Other communications ate not.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:03 p.m.

Diogenes: That's why this must go forward. Even if the conspirators manage to get Filner recalled, some investigation should reveal who was behind this, who paid for it, who got paid for it, etc. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 12, 2013 @ 10:20 p.m.

They fear discovery because, even if Filner was "handy" with the women, they still conspired against him. They conspired to promote their own economic interests using the female victims as a cover.

Maybe there was a criminal conspiracy. Now that would he real justice!

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:53 p.m.

Diogenes: Economic determinism is behind this -- no question. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Aug. 11, 2013 @ 12:36 p.m.

I believe Lee Burdick's account of events as suggested by her notes, that a group of staffers were threatening to quit over unspecified abuses and when Filner told them to quit if they felt it was important enough, Irene McCormack surprised Filner with the alleged underwear remark. Bob Filner may have provoked reasonable people to quit, and been an abusive boss, but no one has alleged anyone was forced on unemployment due to sexual advances. We should note that most accusers allege a totally different Filner from the one McCormack Jackson describes, she says he's an obsessed stalker who won't take no for an answer. The others describe an equal opportunity lecher, who hits and runs in ten seconds of horror at public events, but is so easily distracted that he might abuse a woman every couple of minutes, and so sneaky he can do it in a crowd unobserved.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2013 @ 5:05 p.m.

Psycholizard: You are correct. The women who claim they were abused by his oafish statements tell a different story than McCormack Jackson does. I, too, noted that when Filner was told about the McCormack Jackson panties incident, Filner allegedly blurted "What?!" Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 11, 2013 @ 5:24 p.m.

Here's my take on that. Victims can and DO remember things said to them, while the perpetrator may forget what he said 10 minutes later. So when reminded of it, Bob may simply not remember having been a sexist jackass as it was such routine, daily behavior for him. So his vile statement didn't go into his memory banks. I believe her.

Psycholizard Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:19 p.m.

I don't disbelieve her statement per se. But if she had previously complained about the statement to anyone, I suspect he would remember the bombshell, as would Burdick. When I first heard of the complaints, I assumed that Filner had a documented history of running stop signs. We have heard nothing of this. If Filner has a history of unacceptable sexual behavior to employees, we would expect a history of resignations and vigorous complaints from the scores who have worked for him. There seems to be no such history.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Psycholizard: Good point. Where is the documented history? The man was in Congress 18 years or so. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 6:47 a.m.

dwbat: You are really hooked on the significance of sex scandals -- the surefire way to oust a politician. Why not think about issues? Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 12, 2013 @ 12:12 p.m.

The "issues" also concern character, integrity, honesty, respect for employees and ethical behavior while serving in public office. Once all the evidence is in, we will see that Filner failed in all of those.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:08 p.m.

dwbat: Sex scandals always generate such complaints. That's why they are such an effective diversionary tactic. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 13, 2013 @ 5:45 p.m.

Yawn, same old song, 14th verse. Repetition like that is lazy writing, Don. Italy's Berlusconi is not only a convicted sex criminal but he's an old crook for many other things he's done over the years. Bad behavior of one kind often points to other actions that have been hidden. If Filner has done nothing illegal, he should welcome all the investigations going on.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:57 p.m.

dwbat: Guilty of repetition? Look in the mirror. (Incidentally, if I were an Italian, I would be more concerned about Berlusconi's notoriously sticky fingers than the sexual escapades.) Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 6:21 p.m.

I am struck by Diogenes' focus on the potential roll-back of the 30-foot coastal height limit if populist Mayor Filner is driven from office by the cabal of developers, bankers and labor arrayed against him today. The sex-distracted public ought to pay attention.

Last winter a newbie reporter from the Bob Filner-bashing / Nathan Fletcher-loving Voice of San Diego ran a story out-of-the-blue about getting rid of the 30-foot coastal building height-limit, ostensibly to limit rising housing costs. (It was the 40th anniversary of the law, passed overwhelmingly by a vote of the people of the entire city, challenged many times by developers, and finally upheld by the State Supreme Court. It can only be changed by another vote of the people.) There was heavy reader blow-back to the story. (Platform One)

VOSD did not include the law's legal history, but the Irwin-Jacobs-funded journal then brought in an out-of-town land-use specialist to talk to a public gathering about dismantling such stifling regulation. (Platform Two)

After that, VOSD CEO Scott Lewis penned an article in VOSD's comments-free members-only quarterly magazine. Lewis professed to being "taken aback at the blistering outrage" that followed his journal's "examination of the legacy of the coastal height limit on its 40th anniversary." But tellingly, the article was titled, "Don't Talk About the Height Limit, Punk" -- dismissing objections as if they were from antiquated fuddy-duddies. (Platform Three)

And there may have been more amplification via collaboration with NBC 7/39, but I don't recall. (Platform 4+)

Writers objected to VOSD's tone of negative scrutiny rather than celebration. They were San Diegans who remembered personally going door-to-door, or being reached at home, to sign an initiative that would prevent further walling off the beaches of this town from the people -- ending the possibility of more 939 Coast Blvd. high-rises or the giant Pacific Beach condo tower or the La Jolla Shores hotel built in a residential neighborhood that sneaked in under the wire. These tall and bulky buildings still stand as testaments to what could happen without the 30-foot coastal zone height limit.

The VOSD story was a shot across the bow from wealthy men who fund the VOSD journal, such as Irwin Jacobs who wants carte blanche to re-do Balboa Park or change the School Board. And there are others vitally interested in land use who want to see Filner gone. U-T's owner Doug Manchester wants to build big at the Harbor and elsewhere. Mission Valley hotelier Terry Brown and other goniffs from the Tourism Management District want to use public taxes to promote their protfit-making properties. Labor in collusion with Spanos want to build a downtown football stadium with taxpayer dollars and to extend the gigantic underused Convention Center.

Diogenes is right to worry aloud here. We need to keep our eyes peeled, as they say.

randydotinga Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:49 p.m.

Occam's razor theory: Journalists love to write anniversary stories. So one of them wrote one.

monaghan Aug. 11, 2013 @ 9:21 p.m.

That was no ordinary "anniversary story." With lectures and piling on, it looked like "Goodnight Sweetheart, It's Time to Go." And all postulated on the ludicrous idea that without the coastal height limit, there would be more "affordable" housing. At the time of the story, there was a more accessible format to VOSD, and there was a LOT of negative comment.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:17 p.m.

monaghan: It did smack of a piling-on campaign, probably with flacks behind it. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:10 p.m.

Randy: You will get a raise for that defense of your employer. Best, Don Bauder

jelula Aug. 11, 2013 @ 11:02 p.m.

Monaghan - thank you for the historical summary of Prop. D, the coastal 30' height limit. I had the same negative reaction to the VoSD stories on this that you recount.

There was an effort by the City a few years ago to ignore the 30' height limit. City staff had actually drafted language for the Municipal Code regarding bringing the City's ordinances into conformance with State law regarding offering density bonuses and waivers of some zoning ordinances to developers who incorporated affordable housing into their projects. Among the bonuses listed in the draft ordinance was a waiver to the 30' height limit. It took some effort but they backed off once it was made clear to them that the State legislature cannot override a citizens initiative and that there would be a serious fight by those in the coastal communities to ensure that everyone understood that a citizens initiative can be modified only by a public vote and not legislatively.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:59 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: Agreed. Good show, Jelula. Best, Don Bauder

laplayaheritage Aug. 12, 2013 @ 7:51 a.m.

Agreed that the 30 foot height limit is always in danger. Pat Flannery wrote about the legal loophole to get rid of the 30 foot height limit through the State's Density Bonus laws in the name of Affordable Housing of the poor, and January 30, 2007.

The smoking gun was the Supplemental to the EIR which was missing from online and the City Council binders, but was found in the City Clerk's official binders.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2013 @ 9 p.m.

laplayaheritage: You have done a great job following this, Katheryn. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:19 p.m.

Jelula: Developers have been trying to knock that limit down for decades. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Aug. 14, 2013 @ 1:03 a.m.

precisely why we need our own mcmansion ballot initiative, Our politicians are not gonna fix this. we have to and we have to be smart, we can w/ a good ballot initiative.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 6:54 a.m.

monaghan: if this sex scandal coup is successful, one of the first thing a Republican or DINO in the pocket of developers will do is attempt to roll back the coastal height limit. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:13 p.m.

monaghan: All manner of subterfuge is being used to maximize real estate development in San Diego. Los Angeles learned its lesson too late. It will happen -- or has happened -- to San Diego. Best, Don Bauder

Twister Aug. 11, 2013 @ 7:58 p.m.

Has anyone mentioned how much taxpayer money is being and will be spent on this fiasco?

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 6:57 a.m.

Twister: With at least four government agencies working on it, the tab will be high, but you can be certain there will be attempts -- probably successful -- to conceal the cost. Best, Don Bauder

MeReader Aug. 11, 2013 @ 9:49 p.m.

REALLY REALLY LOVE THE WITCH HUNT. SO WHAT ABOUT ANY CONSPIRACIES. SO WHAT ABOUT ANY HIDDEN AGENDAS. JUST KEEP THE SNOWBALL ROLLING BIGGER AND BIGGER.

HEADLOCK BOB IS GOING DOWN. IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME.

THIS DIRTY OLD MAN WILL NEVER CHANGE. HE'S SEVENTY YEARS OLD. HE WON'T CHANGE. HE WAS PROBABLY HITTING ON THE NURSES WHILE HE WAS IN REHAB. HIS SO-CALLED TWO-WEEK THERAPY WAS MOST LIKELY CUT SHORT BECAUSE HE GOT FED UP, SAID HE WAS DONE BECAUSE HE PROBABLY NEVER BELIEVED IN THE THERAPY IN THE FIRST PLACE (HE'S PROBABLY JUST AS BAD AS LINDSAY LOHAN IN THERAPY). IF YOU'VE SEEN OLD PEOPLE IN HOSPITALS AND NURSING HOMES, YOU CAN SEE THIS AS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED WITH HEADLOCK BOB GETTING ALL FRUSTRATED AND UPSET, AND THEN INSISTING THAT HE WANTS TO GET OUT OF THE REHAB FACILITY. THEN HIS LAWYERS AND HIS TOP AIDES IN THE MAYOR'S OFFICE HAD TO CONJURE UP THE FAKE COVER STORY THAT HE REALLY STARTED THERAPY EARLY AND THEREFORE IT WAS REALLY TWO WEEKS AND NOT ONE WEEK. NAAH, HE WAS THERE FOR ONLY ONE WEEK, GOT FED UP, HIS TEMPER BLEW UP AS USUAL, AND DEMANDED TO BE RELEASED.

(sorry for the CAPS being on, but just want to get some attention. lol. oh, got to go make some more popcorn to munch on while watching Filthy Filner slowly swing in the wind. lol lol lol)

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 6:59 a.m.

MeReader: The use of all caps suggests you are really caught up in the importance of the sex scandal -- an easier scandal to follow than thieves stealing taxpayer money. Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 12, 2013 @ 10:50 a.m.

"sorry for the CAPS being on, but just want to get some attention. lol."

I would Suggest removal of your post, but think it should stand as an example of the hate-filled thinking that's driving this person.

I disagree with Psycholizzy's cool appraisal of MeReader: I don't think he/she's crazy -- just beyond-the-pale vicious.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:22 p.m.

monaghan: People keep saying there is no hysteria, then post an hysterical statement on the blog. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Aug. 12, 2013 @ 2:15 a.m.

MeReader has topped the other sadists I think. Some people love lynchings, love causing and seeing pain. When we read such comments, it puts in perspective Filner's alleged transgressions. Filner never intentionally inflicted pain in any of these accused actions, his goal was the company of women, which is often a good thing.

So many of Filner's attackers on line share the murderous fantasies of MeReader. He will never understand that his diatribe reveals a psyche in serious distress, and never join Filner in voluntarily seeking help. Filner's public apology was political disaster, but certainly shows a man unafraid of self examination, and therefore basically sane. MeReader I suspect, has never met regret, and is sliding into insanity.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 7:03 a.m.

Psycholizard: I don't think we can say MeReader is sliding into insanity. It's just that he or she, like other San Diegans, has fallen hook, line and sinker for the surefire way to oust a policitician: concoct a sex scandal. People don't understand recondite methods for extracting corporate welfare from taxpayers. But they understand a sex scandal. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Aug. 12, 2013 @ 10:42 a.m.

MeReader is likely not a cackling demon who eats popcorn while torturing his victims to death, but he plays one online. Basic slasher film villain, enraged by sexuality he's too repressed to understand, he dreams of homicidal mayhem.

JustWondering Aug. 12, 2013 @ 6:37 a.m.

He, Filner, is just a politician who let his uncontrollable urges get the better of him. To have Anthony Weiner as one of your contemporaries speaks volumes. Filner's "dark passenger" (borrowing a description from a cable T.V. show) wanted to play and I have no doubt he played a lot in the past. I suspect there were many women who were happy with the attention shown to them by a United States Congressman. Old guy or not.

Sadly, Mr. Filner's ultimate legacy will, no doubt, be the butt of late night comedian's commentary.

Is his forthcoming demise hastened by politics? You betcha it is Red Ryder, and that's no surprise in 21st politics. In the final analysis, Mr. Filner, himself, is his own worst enemy. His own conscious doings, will be his undoing.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 7:06 a.m.

JustWondering: Surprised you have been sucked into the 21st century ruse for getting a rid of a politician who threatens your source of taxpayer funds: the sex scandal. You used to be articulate on ISSUES. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering Aug. 12, 2013 @ 9:02 a.m.

My comment regarding 21st century politics was pointed at the extreme partisan nature of it nowadays. Gone are the days where politicians did what was right for country, and in the case our City. Today's politicians, including Mr. Filner, it's more about what is best for them, or their party. The individual reigns supreme. Certainly not whole, i.e. the people. This is true in Filner's case...his, what should we call them, his "urges" his attitude I'm the Mayor and untouchable got him into trouble. Can we say Sunroad's 100K? It's a story repeated by those who wield power all to often. Alas, his doings, as I said before will be his undoing. Now, I believe he's trying to ride this out to January. He'll have his year in office and his pension from SDCERS may be bumped up substantially. Potentially 20K more a year. But to be fair, even SDCERS is unsure how much at this time. According to them the matter "needs more study".

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:26 p.m.

JustWondering: I doubt if Filner is thinking about his San Diego pension much right now. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 12, 2013 @ 12:22 p.m.

I'm suddenly reminded of the late Sen. Alan Cranston, and how he crashed and burned in his last years. He got corrupted by a huge pot of money, and left a legacy of disgrace. Progressive Democrat Filner will not be remembered for much of anything except groping, headlocking and slobbering on women (who had NO interest in him at all). It's a sad tale.

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2013 @ 4:28 p.m.

dwbat: A sex scandal is a faster extermination method than a complex money scandal. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering Aug. 12, 2013 @ 9:17 a.m.

A comment posted on VOSD (not mine, I'm not that creative) this morning (Aug 12) described the the drama in San Diego better than I've read in a long time. They're his thoughts.....

"All this reminds me of the final scene of the original 1930s film "King Kong." Alone atop a pinnacle of power, the beast, machine-gunned by encircling bi-planes, reaches out with one hand to swat them down. With the other, he grasps Fay Wray, his human and unrequited love. In Filner's case, what would Fay Wray represent? Misogyny? Love of power? Disregard for social norms? Loyalty to the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party that has censured him? Whatever it is, Filner's grasp of it (or the grasp of the "monster" Filner has confessed is within him) is impressive and tragic. Rather than usher in a Greek chorus, however, it might be more fitting to cue up the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" (perhaps as the soundtrack for TV news videos). After all, to paraphrase another Stones tune, "it's only politics but we love it, love it, yes we do!""