Walter Mencken 4 p.m., May 3
Victim of car break-in located the suspect for Oceanside police
Defense attorney said maybe it’s vandalism, but not felony burglary
An Oceanside resident named Brian phoned police to say that he saw a man leaning in through his car window, on a Thursday morning last month.
When Brian heard his car alarm go off before 6 a.m., he went to a window of his home and saw a large man leaning into his car, through a newly-broken window. Brian said he hurried out to the street to ask the man what he was doing, but the stranger ran off. Police officer Scott Sims went to the 200 block of South Tremont Street to take a report, on July 18, 2013.
At 1 p.m. the same day, car-break-in-victim Brian phoned police again. This time he reported seeing the same large man, now located just a couple blocks from his home.
Oceanside police officer Scott Garrett reported detaining a man in the 400 block of Seagaze Drive. Officer Garrett said that the “complaining witness” Brian identified this detained suspect as the same man who was earlier sighted halfway through his broken car window, “with one hundred percent certainty.”
Twenty-six-year-old Derian Markesh Walker was arrested that day, and is now charged with second-degree vehicle burglary, as a felony.
Public defender Alvaro Gonzalez pointed out that no property was reported as stolen, and he suggested the offense should be charged, “at most, perhaps a vandalism.”
Honorable Judge Harry Elias today ordered defendant Walker to face one felony burglary charge, and remain held in lieu of $50,000 bail. The defendant pleads not guilty and is next due in San Diego’s North County Superior Courthouse on September 3, 2013, to set a trial date.
More like this:
- Burglary Glen — Sept. 25, 2013
- Burglar caught through stolen iPhone gets prison — June 19, 2013
- Young Escondido gangster recommended to "fire camp" — Sept. 27, 2012
- Oceanside man admits felony burglary in plea deal — Sept. 11, 2012
- S.W.A.T. Team Removes Rampaging Man From El Cajon Home — Nov. 25, 2011