Matt Potter 7 p.m., May 4
Labor promoting "city's largest" anti-Walmart rally
Labor and faith leaders are gearing up local residents for what they say will be San Diego’s largest rally and march against Walmart, calling on the retailer to put forth greater effort into meeting with community stakeholders before opening more outlets within the city.
Particularly at issue is action taken by Walmart last April to destroy a large portion of the historic Farmer’s Market building in Sherman Heights – a much larger portion than residents had anticipated when told the building was getting a facelift before reopening as a Walmart store.
Organizers say they expect over 1,000 attendees to the rally, beginning at 9 a.m. at Golden Hill Community Park before a march to the Farmer’s Market building.
Speakers being touted for the event include mayoral candidate Bob Filner and state Assembly member Ben Hueso, who also spoke at an earlier demonstration criticizing Walmart in the wake of the uproar over the Farmer’s Market demolition.
More like this:
- Mayoral Candidate David Alvarez refuses to stand up to Walmart but claims to "protect neighborhoods" — Oct. 2, 2013
- Judge in Filner case discloses link to Tierney, denies knowing Gloria or hotelier — March 13, 2013
- Politicians, Community Leaders Speak Out Against Walmart in Sherman Heights — April 20, 2012
- Protesters Gather as Demolition of Farmers Market Building Begins — April 18, 2012
- Walmart "Shocked" By Neighbors' Partial Protest of Building Demolition — April 18, 2012