Ramakrishna 9 p.m., Jan. 28
Drunk inmates attack guards at El Centro area prison
Three guards at Centinela State Prison in the Imperial Valley east of San Diego are recovering after being attacked by inmates last Friday, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation is reporting.
Shortly after 6 p.m., two correctional officers conducting cell checks observed two inmates, both of whom appeared to be drunk and one of whom was in possession of a cell phone, considered contraband in the facility.
The inmates were ordered out of the cell – one did as instructed and submitted to handcuffing. The inmate with the phone instead chose to fight, punching one officer and struggling with others, refusing to surrender the device.
The officer who was punched also suffered a knee injury and was treated at a local hospital. Another suffered a head injury and was airlifted to a San Diego hospital for treatment. The third suffered a cut finger.
All three officers are at home recovering. No inmates were reported harmed during the scuffle.
More like this:
- Overnight jail fight at Chula Vista facility, Sheriff says — Feb. 28, 2013
- Prison riot — Dec. 12, 2012
- Go Directly to Jail...and Die — Dec. 10, 2008
- Meet the Mansonites, plus Loving The Inmate: Law & Order It Ain’t — March 21, 2008
- When Your Love is Locked Up — Feb. 10, 2005