Don Bauder 1:30 p.m., July 25
Local former NBA star endorses Peters
Staffers for Scott Peters, the Democratic challenger to incumbent Republican Brian Bilbray in the 52nd congressional district, along with a handful of media, gathered this morning at the candidate's headquarters for the latest news conference held to announce an endorsement from a significant local figure - former Boston Celtics star and local celebrity Bill Walton.
Last month, a similar event announced an endorsement from former mayoral Republican-turned-independent mayoral candidate Nathan Fletcher.
"Congress is mired in gridlock because too many of our elected leaders are more concerned with party politics instead of with finding solutions,” Walton told attendees. “I’ve known Scott and his work for years and I know him to be a different kind of leader. He’s a great man with an extraordinary abundance of integrity and credibility. He’ll put the people of San Diego first."
Walton is part of the "Movement to the Middle" group that gained brief prominence after Fletcher first abandoned the Republican party in his bid to stay alive in the June mayoral primaries.
More like this:
- Local Republican endorsement slate rolled out — June 12, 2013
- Democrats Castaneda, Gonzalez certified as ballot candidates for 80th district state assembly special election — April 3, 2013
- San Diego Execs Meet Nathan Fletcher In The Middle — April 25, 2012
- Weekend Local Politics Update — April 16, 2012
- Fletcher Picks Up Endorsement From Former Democratic Senator — Sept. 27, 2011