Candice Reed 11 a.m., Jan. 23
Local former NBA star endorses Peters
Staffers for Scott Peters, the Democratic challenger to incumbent Republican Brian Bilbray in the 52nd congressional district, along with a handful of media, gathered this morning at the candidate's headquarters for the latest news conference held to announce an endorsement from a significant local figure - former Boston Celtics star and local celebrity Bill Walton.
Last month, a similar event announced an endorsement from former mayoral Republican-turned-independent mayoral candidate Nathan Fletcher.
"Congress is mired in gridlock because too many of our elected leaders are more concerned with party politics instead of with finding solutions,” Walton told attendees. “I’ve known Scott and his work for years and I know him to be a different kind of leader. He’s a great man with an extraordinary abundance of integrity and credibility. He’ll put the people of San Diego first."
Walton is part of the "Movement to the Middle" group that gained brief prominence after Fletcher first abandoned the Republican party in his bid to stay alive in the June mayoral primaries.
More like this:
- Peters listed as member of mystery donor non-profit — July 18, 2013
- Nathan Fletcher returns to congressional battleground, endorses Peters against Bilbray — Sept. 18, 2012
- Weekend Local Politics Update — April 16, 2012
- Republican Party Responds To Nathan Fletcher's Move To The Center — March 28, 2012
- Fletcher Picks Up Endorsement From Former Democratic Senator — Sept. 27, 2011