Walter Mencken 6:15 p.m., Feb. 28
Anti-Filner campaign fund picks up $403,900 from apartment owners, contractors, lobbyists
A group calling itself "San Diegans for Reform in Opposition to Bob Filner - Mayor 2012," sponsored by the Lincoln Club of San Diego, a Republican organization of regional business and lobbying interests, has raised $403,900 through September 30, according to a report dated October 5 and posted online by the San Diego city clerk's office.
After spending $426,408, the campaign fund had a cash balance of $798 at the end of the reporting period.
Donors included the Sacramento-based California Apartment Association PAC ($49,500); the Infrastructure PAC of the Associated General Contractors ($40,000); and Taxpayers for Carl DeMaio - Mayor 2012, a committee backing the Republican foe of Democratic congressman Bob Filner ($38,400).
The biggest donor to the committee, which is spending much of its money on TV ads against Filner, was the Lincoln Club itself, with $276,000.
According to its own filing, the Lincoln Club has this year raised $1,446,427 through September 30. It spent $506,631 during the most recent reporting period, ending September with $607,567 in cash.
Major Lincoln Club contributors have included U-T San Diego owner Douglas Manchester's Manchester Financial Group, L.P., which gave $50,000 on August 24.
Downtown super-lawyer Paul Robinson, incoming Lincoln Club vice-chairman and a registered lobbyist for both Manchester and Irwin Molasky, the Las Vegas developer who has been spending heavily for DeMaio, gave $6,210.
PH FBI SD LLC, a limited liability company controlled by Molasky - who has enjoyed the backing of DeMaio in efforts to gain approvals for a new San Diego FBI headquarters complex to be built for and leased by Molasky to the federal General Services Administration - came up with $10,000 on August 29.
More like this:
- Democrat Jacobs rips GOP's Lincoln Club in mega-millionaires' political war — Oct. 9, 2013
- Record $234,595 spent on broadcast ads in just one day in city races — Oct. 24, 2012
- Las Vegas developer linked to late mobster puts yet more campaign cash into San Diego GOP — Oct. 2, 2012
- Lobbyist for San Diego newspaper publisher to appear in U-T sponsored debate against labor chief — Sept. 17, 2012
- Storied Mobster's Associate Gives Big to Prop B and DeMaio Campaigns — May 30, 2012