Syltoya Sterling 5:30 p.m., Sept. 3
Knife-wielding man suspected of domestic violence causes 6 hour SWAT standoff in Encanto
A standoff between a suicidal Encanto man and the San Diego Police SWAT team ended peacefully earlier this morning.
Police were originally called to an apartment on the 6900 block of Imperial Avenue around 11:30 last night, responding to reports that a man had punched his girlfriend in the face, knocking out some of her teeth. When they arrived, the suspect came to the door wielding knives and inviting officers to shoot him.
A section of Imperial was closed to traffic due to the incident.
The girlfriend and two other women who he had taken hostage in the dwelling, one reported to be his mother, were evacuated via a second story window, and police negotiators were called in. After a standoff lasting more than six hours, the suspect surrendered to authorities without further incident.
More like this:
- Fugitive in custody after standoff in Imperial Beach — July 28, 2013
- Hostage situation averted in Imperial Beach — June 21, 2013
- Oceanside man will go to prison for assaulting father — Feb. 9, 2013
- Jury verdict for a man called “Downer” — Oct. 3, 2012
- El Cajon Police Shoot Knife-Wielding Man — March 1, 2012