• News Ticker alerts

John Lynch, chief executive of the UT, told the Downtown Lions in a power point presentation yesterday (May 8) that the UT is in final talks to purchase the Orange County Register, Coast Magazine, and 24 local newspapers in Orange County.

The newsrooms of the two papers would be combined to provide "one media brand" for all of Southern California, Lynch said, according to former UT reporter and editor Trish Barr, who was a guest. Lynch knew she was in the audience and a former UTer, she confirms.

The combined papers would provide coverage for all of Southern California, from Los Angeles to Mexico, Lynch told Lions members, according to Barr. However, he said that the Los Angeles Times would continue to cover the LA area.

It is not clear what Lynch meant by "one media brand," particularly since a new UT sign is scheduled to go up on the Mission Valley headquarters. A combination of the two news staffs would probably involve more layoffs, although he did not say that, according to Barr.

Barr says Lynch promised more aggressive reporting, a bigger commitment to the Hispanic market, and wider sports coverage. He also talked about the UT's commitment to a downtown sports stadium, which the paper has covered at length.

Asked about the firing of Tom Blair, longtime popular three-dot columnist, Lynch said veteran staff members have been told they have to "reinvent themselves," but some "are not going to embrace" the company's new policy.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

David Dodd May 9, 2012 @ 4:26 p.m.

Reinvent. Does that mean embracing Papa Doug's development schemes? Demanding a new stadium for the Chargers? Is that how reporters reinvent themselves? What a farce. A certain U-T reporter accused me of being unethical the other day. It was all I could do to not laugh in his face.

Don Bauder May 9, 2012 @ 8:40 p.m.

You are not unethical, Refried. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 9, 2012 @ 8:29 p.m.

That is probably what "reinvent" meant, as uttered by Lynch. Remember, when he and Manchester came in, they announced that the paper would be a cheerleader for local business and for a Chargers football stadium. Any reporter covering the stadium had to be in favor of it, and denounce opponents as obstructionists. They were announcing that the paper would be a propaganda organ. They followed through: it is one. Best, Don Bauder

stingray May 9, 2012 @ 5:42 p.m.

I really don't think it means that much anymore because no one reads the papers but to think the only daily print media in SOCAL will now be controled by Pond Scum drifted to the right by the breath of developers is disconcerting.

Don Bauder May 9, 2012 @ 8:31 p.m.

I suspect that readership will decline in both San Diego and Orange counties. Best, Don Bauder

conanthequasilibertarian May 10, 2012 @ 9:38 a.m.

I canceled my U-T subscription after Manchester bought it, and my mother canceled hers. I occasionally peruse the U-T when I find it lying around, and every time I do, I am reminded why canceling it was a good idea. There's nothing to it anymore.

Burwell May 9, 2012 @ 5:53 p.m.

I think Papa Doug and Lynch are in way over their heads.

David Dodd May 9, 2012 @ 6 p.m.

I agree. I know for sure that Lynch is.

Don Bauder May 9, 2012 @ 8:34 p.m.

Their own utterances suggest they are in over their heads. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 9, 2012 @ 8:33 p.m.

It certainly sounded that way the first time they opened their mouths. Remember, on coming in, Manchester had no media experience and Lynch had only been in radio -- almost entirely sports -- and had a very spotty record. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh May 9, 2012 @ 7:53 p.m.

This is awful. Both papers had their biases, but both tried in their own ways to serve the desires and foibles of the local readers. Now the best we can expect is a watered-down, politically-oriented, and ultra-boosterish view of the news. "More aggressive reporting?" What does that mean to Lynch, or to Dougie, for that matter? If anyone had any doubts as to the severity of this media melt-down, this should take care of those for sure. Whatever shreds of credibility that the daily papers in this area, and probably most of the rest of the US, once had is going, going, and gone with the wind.

Don Bauder May 9, 2012 @ 8:38 p.m.

Originally, the Register was avidly Libertarian -- more of a proselytizer than a paper. Under Copley, the Union was a right-wing propaganda mill, although the Tribune was better. Now it seems that the UT is going back to the Jim Copley days. The Register might go back to the old days, too. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 10, 2012 @ 6:56 a.m.

BLAIR SAYS NO ONE TOLD HIM TO REINVENT HIMSELF. Former UT columnist Tom Blair, whose abrupt firing has fired up, so to speak, many of his admirers in the community, this morning (May 10) said he is puzzled by Lynch's remarks at the Lions Club. First, some explanation: Trish Barr's report on the Lions Club originally appeared in the 919 Report, an excellent newsletter for more than 500 former and current UT staffers. I picked it up from there after I got hold of Trish, and I should have given credit to 919 for breaking the story. Mea culpa. Here's what Blair says this morning: "I'm not sure from Trish Barr's report yesterday on John Lynch at the Lions Club just what question he was asked about 'Tom Blair's leaving the UT,' but his answer couldn't have been referring to me. Lynch reportedly said, 'All longtime reporters have been told they need to reinvent themselves,' but added 'some are not going to embrace the company's new policy.' First, I was never given any clear reason for being bounced by the new owners, much less that I needed to 'reinvent myself'...As for not embracing 'the company's new policy' I have no idea what the company's 'new policy' visa a vis columnists is, since I was never apprised of any new policy -- by anyone. Furthermore, I was never asked, by anyone, to 'reinvent' myself. In fact, I was told absolutely nothing by the owners, or anyone else, about a 'new policy' or any reason for my dismissal..."

Also, the North County Times's post on the matter indicates that the UT may be backing off Lynch's statement that the merger of the two papers is imminent. Manchester apparently told KPBS that such talk is "premature" and then Lynch later backpedaled.

The bottom line is that San Diegans can expect mixed messages from this new UT ownership.

Visduh May 10, 2012 @ 7:47 p.m.

This suggests that the blood brothers, Johnnie and Dougie, aren't even talking to each other. Lynch comes off as clueless, and the man behind the screen is tugging on the strings without knowing for sure that they are connected to. Sigh.

Don Bauder May 11, 2012 @ 4:09 p.m.

The incident certainly suggests a failure to communicate. Best, Don Bauder

pascal May 10, 2012 @ 11:08 a.m.

Don - I don't recall seeing anything yet on your blog about the U-T's plans to add TV, but that's certainly revelant to this topic too, I think. Here's the link to their story: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/apr/18/ut-tv-programming-plans/ Reactions?

Don Bauder May 10, 2012 @ 11:47 a.m.

Yes, UT does plan to add TV. Company has hired a former jock named Billy Ray Smith and a partner -- I believe named Kaplan -- to host one show. There is also an attractive female who will be on air. Copley built a studio and tried radio toward the end of its reign, but it flopped. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat May 11, 2012 @ 7:46 a.m.

I heard Doug and Lynch are mulling a deal, partnering with Ted Nugent and Sarah Palin, to start up a social media site. It presumably would be called FarceSpace.

Don Bauder May 11, 2012 @ 8:26 a.m.

Hilarious. But don't be surprised if a social media site spews purported thinking of Sarah Palin and her ilk. Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi May 11, 2012 @ 10:10 a.m.

Manchester has been watching too many James Bond movies:

Carver Media Group

Don Bauder May 11, 2012 @ 11:59 a.m.

That is wonderful. Is it from a James Bond movie? I am sure Murdoch refuses to watch it. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 12, 2012 @ 8:04 p.m.

the OC Register is as "right winged" as u can get...the poor UT has little chance of presenting any unbiased news now

i will mourn them....this is scary hilarious

None

Don Bauder May 12, 2012 @ 9:41 p.m.

That Bond movie segment is great, but how many publication owners would try to build circulation with news about the South China Sea? Sex and violence builds circulation. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 8 a.m.

How do you know that I am either sexy or non-violent? Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 13, 2012 @ 12:01 p.m.

er..um...i just surmise it from ur remarks mister!!

and let's face it...u got all kinds of circulation RIGHT??!!

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 12:47 p.m.

There is a difference between sexy and sex-obsessed. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 13, 2012 @ 12:55 p.m.

gee u don't seem sex obsessed to me Don...hahahahahahaha

Twister May 13, 2012 @ 11:09 a.m.

If you believe "50 Shades of Grey," and most women do, that statement might be contradictory. I think what she means, Donny-boy, is that brains are sexy, and "violence" means that women are sick and tired of yes-men and want real men back. And they want, as Lola, might say, you NOW.

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 12:50 p.m.

How about this song: "C'mon baby, let's do the Twister." Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 13, 2012 @ 12:58 p.m.

good Dog Don...don't unleash Twister...we'd be a week cleaning up this place from the chaos that will issue!!

he's not called Twister 4 nutten!!!

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 10:37 p.m.

The trouble with Twister is that he is so diffident, so shy -- just doesn't break out of his shell, just won't say anything. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 12:49 p.m.

"Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets, and little man, little Lola wants you." No woman by the name of Lola, or by any other name, has sung that song to me. So I can't be sexy, no matter what Nan asserts. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 13, 2012 @ 12:52 p.m.

OK...hahahahahahahaha...i give up!!!

i can't win against Lola

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 6:31 p.m.

I'm trying to remember: Was Lola a character in the musical "Damn Yankees"? Best, Don Bauder

Twister May 13, 2012 @ 2:28 p.m.

It was a hot and sultry night. The girl I had obsessed over since the first grade was in the back of her sister's boyfriend's convertible in shorts and a white blouse tied at the midriff. As I got in, she started singing "C'mon-a My House" in her trademark "whisky tenor." That's all I remember--I must've blacked out. I ain't been untwisted since.

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 6:32 p.m.

And you can't remember what happened? Just when you got us males breathing heavily? Best, Don Bauder

Twister May 13, 2012 @ 2:31 p.m.

"The House of Blue Lights" be my favorite.

Re: dbauder May 13, 12:50 p.m.

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 6:34 p.m.

I thought your favorite was the House with the Red Light. Best, Don Bauder

Twister May 13, 2012 @ 3:52 p.m.

I prefer the Chuck Miller version, but Freddie Slack and Ella Mae Morse had the hit.

Chuck Miller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PksQGT...

and Boogie Blues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHJ4Zu...

Ella Mae Morse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO5ysm...

Commander Cody http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvU-NP...

Asleep at the Wheel (Not bad music for a bunch of crackers, but the vocal is dead, man!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BJt5t...

And, as magic performances go . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1LZuQ... Chillin,' chillin' HOT!

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 6:35 p.m.

These are all far after my time. Best, Don Bauder

Twister May 13, 2012 @ 10:28 p.m.

And Chuck Miller was only ten years later . . .

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 10:52 p.m.

I'm sitting here at my computer listening to Chopin's Mazurkas. Don't want to hear Ella Mae Morse right now. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 14, 2012 @ 2:21 p.m.

well bless u and Chopin...all his preludes were wracked with odd fingering and pain...one can love classical and bluesy rock 2 Don...i do...

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 7:26 a.m.

The only time I listen to rock/blues is when our sons and daughter-in-law visit. And I do enjoy it. We just have so many classical CDs and DVDs (thousands) that we don't have time to listen to anything else. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 7:23 a.m.

I hate to say this: who's Chuck Miller? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 10:48 p.m.

I was 9 years old in 1945, and a Chicago Cubs fan. That was the year the Cubs went to the World Series -- last time, I believe. I remember "House of Blue Lights" but not Ella Mae Morse. Best, Don Bauder

Twister May 13, 2012 @ 9:28 p.m.

Oh, come on, Don--1946 is "far after your time?" And you were still pretty young in the fifties. Sheesh!

nan shartel May 13, 2012 @ 9:32 p.m.

geesus maybe he is 107 twister dat boy need to get his groove back!!!

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 10:53 p.m.

How can I be 107 and as sexy as you claim I am? Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 14, 2012 @ 2:22 p.m.

er...um...u said u felt 107...but i had that he's a sexy 75 vibe

this has been fun Don...but i must leave this playpen and let u get on to more serious topics...thx 4 the fun..u 2 twister...big kiss!

nan shartel May 13, 2012 @ 9:34 p.m.

he was a teenager in the 50's dang it!!

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 10:55 p.m.

Yes, I was a junior in high school when Rock Around the Clock came in. Didn't know it would make history. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 14, 2012 @ 2:23 p.m.

me needer...hahahahahahahaha....we jitterbugged to it

Don Bauder May 14, 2012 @ 7:22 p.m.

I didn't dance to it then and I still can't dance worth a hoot. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 14, 2012 @ 8:14 p.m.

u just didn't have the right partner Don...hahahahahahaha

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 10:40 p.m.

I have always liked dancing close -- snuggling, in fact. Now that's the right kind of partner. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 13, 2012 @ 10:50 p.m.

I turned 10 in 1946. My musical tastes were inchoate. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya May 14, 2012 @ 12:15 p.m.

Hey, isn't that where JFK said he developed his tastes, too? In Choate?

Don Bauder May 14, 2012 @ 1:20 p.m.

Great. Wish I had thought of that. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 14, 2012 @ 7:25 p.m.

Duhbya is a great punster. Me, the only private school that would accept me was Shoat, which was for young pigs. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 14, 2012 @ 8:12 p.m.

i was a Nazareth House at the Old Mission and Our Lady of Peace as a boarder...Shoat sounds like lots more fun

Duhbya May 15, 2012 @ 4:15 a.m.

Wow, used to play football on your turf. Your crew was always one of our (Holy Family) tougher opponents. I think the Segawa brothers were the standouts at the time, and it seemed that yours was a close-knit group. And I always admired the back gardens at OLP. Visited them quite often during the mixers. (Wink, wink) - University High '68

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 10:42 p.m.

Oh, oh. Confession time. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 20, 2012 @ 4:44 p.m.

it was an all girls school when i was there Duhbya..the ground were beautiful overlooking Mission Valley

Duhbya May 21, 2012 @ 6:09 a.m.

I never knew it to be anything other than all female. That explains why I hung around there so much.

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 7:28 a.m.

Nan: I bet you were a bit of a rebel at Our Lady of Peace. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 20, 2012 @ 4:50 p.m.

i was a good little Catholic boarding school girl Don...wink wink.....

remember this was the 50's

Duhbya May 15, 2012 @ 4:05 a.m.

Takes two to tangle - couldn't have done it without your setup.

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 7:29 a.m.

See, you have one-upped me again, Duhbya! Great. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya May 15, 2012 @ 8:59 a.m.

Aw, shucks.......

Thanks, although that one was unintentional.

No, really. ;>)

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 10:43 p.m.

I can't believe it was unintentional. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 14, 2012 @ 2:25 p.m.

me 2...just out of boarding school so i definitely didn't know nutten!!!

Don Bauder May 14, 2012 @ 7:26 p.m.

But you have learned a lot since then, Nan..... Best, Don Bauder

Twister May 15, 2012 @ 1:55 a.m.

Well, then, THIS one is WAY past your time . . .

Re: dbauder May 13, 10:50 p.m.

nan shartel May 15, 2012 @ 7:55 p.m.

what a fabulous person Kiri is and how she upended her Maori background to become so excellent in Opera

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 10:44 p.m.

Kiri was a great one in her prime. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 10:48 p.m.

Joan Sutherland helped propel Pavarotti into the limelight. Joan was one of the greatest sopranos of the 20th century. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 15, 2012 @ 10:46 p.m.

Loved Pavarotti but always preferred Domingo. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 16, 2012 @ 7:44 a.m.

Perez Prado? Sorry. Drawing a blank. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 18, 2012 @ 1:21 p.m.

Joan Sutherland....yes she was...do u ever read Garrett Harris here at the READER...he's a fine addition to the Reader with a blog on Classical music and Opera

Don Bauder May 18, 2012 @ 2:21 p.m.

Yes, Harris is good and an excellent addition to the Reader. Incidentally, he says that the SD Symphony program said Tchaikovsky died of cholera. The story I have read many times is that he was homosexual, and when caught in the act with a member of the Russian aristocracy, he was forced to commit suicide. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 18, 2012 @ 2:37 p.m.

my goodness...that's awful...i suppose he may have had some kind of bowel infection from his sexual preference (Amoebic Dysentery comes to mind)

and suicide wouldn't be unusual in those bigoted times

Don Bauder May 18, 2012 @ 9:19 p.m.

Yes, the forced death of a great composer because of his/her sexual preference would be unthinkable today, even in Russia. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 18, 2012 @ 1:37 p.m.

here's the scamp...he's a Tenor in the chorus of the San Diego Opera every year...he's a smart guy about classical music and Opera

and yeah...he's a looker...hahahahahahahaha

None

Don Bauder May 18, 2012 @ 2:22 p.m.

The San Diego Opera chorus has been consistently excellent for several decades. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 18, 2012 @ 2:40 p.m.

they have to audition every year...unfortunately i can't afford to go and see Opera

but watch it on PBS when it's on...my favorite is Turandot

Wow...Pooh and Opera...u are a double threat...hahahahahahahahaha

Don Bauder May 18, 2012 @ 5:34 p.m.

Jane Eaglen, one of the great sopranos of the last 50 years (unfortunately, she seems to be in decline because the excessive weight she carries), starred in a wonderful San Diego Opera Turandot a number of years ago. I agree: it is a great opera -- along with Madama Butterfly, Puccini's best. (Note I am leaving out the two war horses, La Boheme and Tosca, which I have seen so often I don't know I can take either anymore.) Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel May 18, 2012 @ 11:33 p.m.

here's the new hotshot on the scene now Don

here's her Met debut in 2009...she sang it here last year....what do u think

as someone who has seen it with the best singing...she sang Turandot at La Scala last year

here's an interview with her when she was back here singing Salome

nan shartel May 18, 2012 @ 11:46 p.m.

as u can tell i'm quite mad about Opera...hahahahahahahahahaha