Jay Allen Sanford 9:31 p.m., Sept. 30
Oakland Company to Demolish South Bay Power Plant
Oakland-based Silverado Contractors, Inc. was selected from 11 bids submitted for the task of demolishing the South Bay Power Plant along Chula Vista’s bay front, the Port of San Diego reports. The contractor has previous experience in power plant deconstruction, including work to demolish portions of the Humboldt Bay Nuclear Power Plant in Eureka, the only one of California’s three nuclear plants so far to be permanently taken offline.
“As we look forward to a new and economically vibrant future for our waterfront under the Chula Vista Bayfront Master Plan, our residents are eager to see the power plant removed,” said Chula Vista mayor Cheryl Cox about the contract award.
Dynegy, the plant’s former operator, is completing asbestos removal work it expects to finish by June, at which point demolition of the plant’s above ground structures could begin if permits are in place from the California Coastal Commission and the City of Chula Vista. An application to the Coastal Commission for the work was submitted last November.
More like this:
- Public invited to power plant demolition in Chula Vista this Saturday — Jan. 30, 2013
- Single implosion will destroy bayside power plant — Sept. 4, 2012
- Another Step Forward for the South Bay Power Plant — June 20, 2012
- South Bay Power Plant Operator Agrees to Dismantle Plant — Oct. 26, 2011
- South Bay Power Plant in Hot Water? — July 10, 2010