Matt Potter 9:30 a.m., Aug. 20
Protests Planned Against Border Patrol Violence
An assortment of community groups and clergy members have called for a national day of action today demanding that U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder open an investigation into the death of Anastasio Hernandez Rojas, an undocumented San Diego resident who was beaten and tasered by Border Patrol officers and later died from those injuries.
Main organizers of the series of rallies, which are planned for 6 p.m. in Balboa Park as well as in a handful of other cities across the country, include presente.org and the Southern Border Communities Coalition.
“Since 2010, Border Patrol agents have killed at least eight other residents of border communities and have left many others seriously wounded,” the groups say in an event promotion being circulated via e-mail. “communities across the United States are asking the President to direct the Department of Justice to conduct an open and thorough investigation of the US Border Patrol.”
More like this:
- Leery drone-zone denizens convene in Julian — Dec. 5, 2013
- 184 pounds of marijuana carried across border on foot in Imperial Valley — March 7, 2013
- North Park's Boulevard Nights to showcase films from MACSD's Teen Producers Project — Sept. 4, 2012
- Judge Upholds Gun Sales Reporting Law Over NRA Protest — Jan. 20, 2012
- Border Angels — Dec. 7, 2006