Catherine Spearnak 3:30 p.m., March 6
Baja Tourist Project Continues to Catch Heat
A tourist development in Southern Baja, which is still in its initial phase, has continued to catch criticism from opponents. Cabo Pulmo, which is about a 90 minute drive northeast of Los Cabos, is the area where a potential tourist zone the size of Cancun could be constructed. Those that oppose the project state multiple ecological issues would arise.
The son of legendary marine biologist and explorer Jacques Cousteau, Jean-Michael Cousteau, told the EFE News Agency that the resort would pose a significant threat to the nearby coral reef. "We need to be sure that whatever's going to be built there is small enough not to cause an impact similar to in other areas and that they don't build another Cancun," said Cousteau. Cousteau is the president of the California based Ocean Futures Society.
Earlier this month The World Wildlife Fund presented close to 13,000 signatures from around the world asking Mexican President Felipe Calderon to cancel the permits for construction in Cabo Pulmo. Mexico’s Environmental Department granted approval for the project initially in 2008 with little research on the local environmental impact. Baja California Sur legislator, Víctor Manuel Castro Cosío, will present documents to a government committee for a further investigation into potential environmental harm by the project.
Problems have also arisen on the side of developers as the main financial backer was hit by the European financial crisis. Stricter environmental standards were also implemented in 2011 which will make it harder for developers to begin construction as soon as expected.
More like this:
- City sides with developers, residents, developers again — Oct. 30, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: Miracle baby to be named next week; Los Cabos to host Iron Man event; 600 whale calves born in Baja California Sud — Feb. 9, 2013
- Baja resort developers resubmit plan — Aug. 28, 2012
- Court To Consider Risk of Terrorist Attacks In Litigation Over Navy Broadway Complex — July 11, 2012
- Mexico Cancels Baja Mega-Resort Plans — June 16, 2012