Matthew Suárez 11 a.m., Nov. 28
Pitt and Clooney Lead Celebrity Cast in Prop 8 Trial Play this Saturday
Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Martin Sheen will join an all-star celebrity cast for a live-streamed reading of “8,” the new play by Academy-award winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black, on Saturday, March 3,.
Black, best known for Milk and J. Edgar, used actual court transcripts, first-hand interviews, and the personal stories of the two couples challenging Prop. 8 in court to write the play which he says, demonstrates why no American should be denied the fundamental freedom to marry the person they love.
Clooney, who will portray attorney David Boies, spoke with the Advocate about his involvement and said, “…that every time we’ve stood against equality, we’ve been on the wrong side of history… [O]ne day the marriage equality fight will look as archaic as George Wallace standing on the University of Alabama steps keeping James Hood from attending college because he was black. People will be embarrassed to have been on the wrong side…There are even a lot of young conservatives today for whom marriage equality isn’t an issue. It always takes government an extra generation to catch up to the people.”
The long list of celebrities joining Sheen (Theodore B. Olson) and Pitt (Judge Walker) on stage for the special reading, include Kevin Bacon, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, John C. Reilly, Vanessa Garcia, and Yeardley Smith.
Below, director Rob Reiner discusses Saturday's event, and the importance of having the American public hear the arguments made by the proponents of Proposition 8:
RSVP to watch the reading online via YouTube. Curtain goes up at 7:45 pm PT, pre-show begins at 7:30 pm PT.
More like this:
- National Organization for Marriage's Records Unsealed — April 2, 2012
- Stringers Are NOT Reader Reporters, plus Taylor Swift's Taylor Guitar, Local Blogger Silenced By Killers, Wavves Calls SD "Wretched," SDMA Fishwrap, Zappa, Weiland, Axl, Blackheart, Ms. Beatle, Halford, Mower, more — Oct. 27, 2009
- Pink Floyd in San Diego, Land of the Lost TV Show, Everybody Violet Returns, Bootleg Guitars, New Music Search Engine, Rhythm Turner, more — June 9, 2009
- Hard Rock Hotel Lockout, Sex With Axl Rose, Soft Pack Says Hi From LA, Cattle Decapitation Veggie Burgers, more — Feb. 12, 2009
- Cinema Valore - Burn After Reading — Oct. 21, 2008