Don Bauder 5:30 p.m., March 10
Initiative to End California's Death Penalty Turns in Signatures
The SAFE California campaign today filed 799,589 petition signatures to qualify an initiative for the November 2012 ballot that will replace the state’s death penalty with life in prison without the possibility of parole.
The number of submitted signatures exceeds the 504,000 required to qualify the SAFE (Savings, Accountability and Full Enforcement) California Act, and if validated, it would be the first ever statewide vote since California’s death penalty system was created in 1978.
More like this:
- Medical marijuana proponents petition for removal of US Attorney Duffy — Feb. 28, 2013
- Proposal that would ban nuclear power in California cleared to petition for 2014 ballot placement — Feb. 9, 2013
- Back to seeking ban — Dec. 12, 2012
- Donors walking: Democratic billionaire Irwin Jacobs and wife Joan kick in $80,000 to defeat death penalty — Oct. 3, 2012
- Bob Filner Endorses Medicinal Marijuana Tax Initiative — Feb. 28, 2012